Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Gitane City Link == $100 Bianchi San Jose

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Gitane City Link == $100 Bianchi San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 08:46 AM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Fyi, as of last week all the citilink frame sizes in black or creme were back in stock at the $100 price point on the bianchi website, I bought two58's and fedex shipping was an additional $89.
Likes For funbuffalo24:
Old 07-29-20, 01:31 PM
Database82

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe (Sold), Bianchi San Jose, Kona Hahanna (Sold)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ooof that shipping is almost the price of the frame! Who wants to get in on this and split shipping lol

Last edited by Database82; 07-29-20 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-30-20, 02:21 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I'd seen that the Bianchi USA site was closing these framesets out for $100 and couldn't resist the urge. It seems these frames are rebadged San Joses, right down to the "Gitane" tubing sticker. Comes with a fairly nice loose-ball headset, but no cable hanger. I decided to go for a "French Fit" and purchased a 58cm for my 5'10" body.

I've only put a couple miles on it so far, I need to find a different bar setup. The 46 Cowchipper is too wide and a 42 traditional drop was too narrow. Currently wearing 42c Conti commuter tires (~1000g /pc), but looks to be room for a bit more. Total build weight is 22.5lbs, not horrible with the parts. I forgot to weigh the bare frame, but it didn't feel too bad. The fork felt every bit steel and is way stiffer than I had expected. I've been enjoying riding vintage conversions with really active forks, this one feels like a modern disc front-end. Very little movement.

great post I was eyeing that bike frame last week never pulled trigger.
Old 08-02-20, 10:54 PM
NYMarc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, running a 42mm track chainline results in a maximum gear of 39t. I'm kinda tempted to dimple the stay to run a 42.

I was playing around with doing some cheap hydrodipping on some stems and seatposts.
I just ordered a 58cm in black this past week! Fedex is delivering it on Tuesday. The 39t limitation is a bummer. I was planning on running 48t (just because I can't seem to find a different ss crankset that's 175mm).
Old 08-02-20, 11:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
oh man, I was just thinking it would be fun to build up a new sscx

I wonder if I could sneak it in the garage without my wife noticing.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-03-20, 02:27 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
oh man, I was just thinking it would be fun to build up a new sscx

I wonder if I could sneak it in the garage without my wife noticing.
If you are looking for a new SSCX, drop me a line. I'm selling my Sycip as I'm not racing anymore.
Old 08-05-20, 04:22 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
No longer a single

My City Link is no longer a single. Chain tensioner with a derailleur hanger, XTR short cage with reversed B-tension screw, 11-40 8spd cassette, barcon, and full length housing. I might upgrade to 10spd eventually.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 08-05-20, 05:20 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I would have kept it as SS......
Old 08-06-20, 07:31 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Too much hip pain right now, gotta pedal easy for a while. I set up the shifter outside the bar tape so I can quickly remove it when I'm ready.
Old 08-09-20, 07:04 PM
NYMarc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMarc
I just ordered a 58cm in black this past week! Fedex is delivering it on Tuesday. The 39t limitation is a bummer. I was planning on running 48t (just because I can't seem to find a different ss crankset that's 175mm).
Just got mine (I tried to post a photo, but I lack the permissions). Given the chainstay limitation, anyone know of a 39t single speed crankset that comes in 175mm? As far as I can tell, the only 175mm SS crankset that QBP sells is the Sugino RD2 that only comes in 48t (QBP# CR1019 - "Sugino RD2 Crankset - 175mm, Single Speed, 48t, 130 BCD, Square Taper JIS Spindle Interface, Silver"). (Also this has an in-stock eta of October. I was hoping to be riding by early September, but I don't really mind waiting....)

Any sourcing help?
Old 04-27-21, 05:26 PM
Ianohian

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, 1983(?) Miele Beta, 1994(?) Rockhopper drop bar conversion, and a Funbike delta front tilt steering recumbent tricycle

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phobus
Nice! I was keeping an eye on these before I picked up my Nature Boy. I don't love the color/graphics on these but the frame seems like a really good deal.
Yep, running a 42mm track chainline results in a maximum gear of 39t. I'm kinda tempted to dimple the stay to run a 42.

I was playing around with doing some cheap hydrodipping on some stems and seatposts.
I have a San Jose and had to replace the crank, luckily, I measured the chain line first. 47.5mm, so really works best with 110 BCD cranks. Old good MTN cranks (think old XT, or a crank that needs spacers for the third ring, or I'm handy with a bench grinder to remove the granny ring mounting humps) with a 110mm BB spindle gets you a good chain line for even a 48t chainring. Or 2mm of spacers behind the freewheel and a road double 130mm BCD will get you up to around a 50mm chain line with the same 110 spindle, and then you can mount a 42t chainring, possibly larger. The difference is really the profile of the cranks. The issue with the frame is that it's made for a single speed set-up with a 68mm BB shell and 130mm rear axle spacing, instead of something more like a track frame with 120mm rear axle spacing. The deal is that you get a bigger range of tire.
Old 05-21-21, 04:54 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sometimes I really hate necro threads.
Old 05-21-21, 04:54 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sometimes I really hate necro threads.
Old 12-28-23, 10:55 PM
runjuliorun

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job for both buildups

My City Link is no longer a single. Chain tensioner with a derailleur hanger, XTR short cage with reversed B-tension screw, 11-40 8spd cassette, barcon, and full length housing. I might upgrade to 10spd eventually.[/QUOTE]

Finally after a year of planning I am trying to build mine a I am just wondering what size tires are you using, Do you think, the frame would handle tire width of 43 mm?
Old 12-31-23, 06:51 PM
funbuffalo24

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Finally after a year of planning I am trying to build mine a I am just wondering what size tires are you using, Do you think, the frame would handle tire width of 43 mm?[/QUOTE]

43's shouldnt be problematic, I'm running 42mm Soma supple vitesse tires on mine with no clearance issues at all.
Old 01-10-24, 09:27 PM
runjuliorun

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by funbuffalo24
43's shouldnt be problematic, I'm running 42mm Soma supple vitesse tires on mine with no clearance issues at all.
Thank you for your reply, and happy riding in 2024. I am going to give it a try to a 45mm. I am getting a Value HD Series Disc Rear Wheel - 700, QR x 135mm, Center-Lock for the rear wheel. Hope that combination works for me.
Old 01-11-24, 10:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by runjuliorun
Thank you for your reply, and happy riding in 2024. I am going to give it a try to a 45mm. I am getting a Value HD Series Disc Rear Wheel - 700, QR x 135mm, Center-Lock for the rear wheel. Hope that combination works for me.
Keep in mind a DISC wheel is for DISC brakes and in a lot of cases the wheel is not set up to use rim brakes in that case it does not list rim brake compatibility and it is also a cassette hub. The wheel itself is a fine low cost replacement wheel to get someone back on the road but for a single speed rim brake bike it is not the one I might choose.