Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 02-23-21, 08:26 PM
Javi_bikes

Bikes: Fuji Classic (Track), Peugeot U-08, Bianchi Strada turned Fixie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Turned this Bianchi strada frame I found on craigslist into a fixed gear! Gave it some fresh paint, new BB, new sugino cranks, a new handle bar and stem, and wheels! Just put some clipless pedals on it and its quick! averaged 29mph on a straight, pretty happy with the turn out. 50t chain ring and 16t rear cog.

Likes For Javi_bikes:
Old 02-23-21, 09:00 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
What front rim is that? Can't make out the name but it looks great. Have you weighed this yet? Nice looking bike!
Old 02-23-21, 11:41 PM
Javi_bikes

Bikes: Fuji Classic (Track), Peugeot U-08, Bianchi Strada turned Fixie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thank bykemike , its a Gipiemme Grecal Parade wheel. To be honest, hadn't really heard much about this brand before. I managed to get this rim for free with the current conti gatorskin in relatively new condition, thats why the front and rear are different rims and wheels - runs smooth though!

No I wish I could, i'm curious to know the overall weight, might invest in a bike scale!
Old 02-26-21, 06:44 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Done.

​​​​Now it's time to build my 1997 Schwinn S30 full suspension rig to a single speed.
Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 02-27-21, 04:47 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Panic in the Springtime

As the snow begins to melt, I decided to build up a 'Late Winter/Early Spring Bike', this current time when studded tires are usually no longer necessary around here. Built from parts I had but wasn't using, around a torn-down keirin frame that was in a closet and whose paint is not precious to me, it was designed to take a beating (sealed hubs and bottom bracket, fenders) during this miserable season of salt, sand, and slush. After two ~80km days of riding it, I am finding it difficult to wipe the smile off of my face: It is so wonderful to be back on a track bike after a bleakest winter.

For the nerds:

Last edited by ethet; 02-27-21 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Imperial to metric conversion nonsense.
Old 02-27-21, 05:13 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Very classy
Old 02-28-21, 03:36 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 02-28-21, 03:46 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

I love that bike so, so much... It remains one of my favorite bicycles posted to these threads
Likes For ethet:
Old 02-28-21, 04:44 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3329 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet

Lovely! Your parts bin must be fun to dig through
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-28-21, 04:47 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Last night I got my first ride on this since early December 2020. I had forgotten how smooth this one rides, plus the 44x17 gearing is so chill.

Old 02-28-21, 05:04 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Originally Posted by abshipp
Your parts bin must be fun to dig through
Oh, thank you so much

The bins of parts have become something which I have only very recently realized as being nifty: I had been considering them a nuisance and something to be ashamed about until this past year when getting things from Japan suddenly became a challenge. I have so many greasy sandwich bags of Sugino 75 and Hatta R9400 bottom brackets and Hatta Swan Super Deluxe headsets... Sugino 75 cranks of various flavors and lengths in saran wrap and held together with rubber bands. And the cogs and chainrings... So many cogs and chainrings I do like the array of Nitto stems arranged in their box: They make me happy sometimes.

And then there is all the stuff for 'proper' bikes and the frames which carry them, which more and more feels like a burden that is bothering me and which I hope to unload for free to any takers.

Last edited by ethet; 02-28-21 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 05:14 PM
abshipp 

Oh, thank you so much

The bins of parts have become something which I have only very recently realized as being nifty: I had been considering them a nuisance and something to be ashamed about until this past year when getting things from Japan suddenly became a challenge. I have so many greasy sandwich bags of Sugino 75 and Hatta R9400 bottom brackets and Hatta Swan Super Deluxe headsets... Sugino 75 cranks of various flavors and lengths in saran wrap and held together with rubber bands. And the cogs and chainrings... So many cogs and chainrings I do like the array of Nitto stems arranged in their box: They make me happy sometimes.

And then there is all stuff for 'proper' bikes and the frames which carry them, which more and more feels like a burden that is bothering me and which I hope to unload for free to any takers.
Over time mine has been getting better and better, but I've still got way too many old swaged cranks and the like. Unfortunately nothing that I really want to put on a bike, buts too "nice" to just pitch but not worth selling

One new addition that makes me happy is an older NJS Dura-Ace bottom bracket. It's designed for a taper that nothing I have is really compatible with though

If you're talking roadie type stuff I may be an interested party...
Old 02-28-21, 05:37 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

One new addition that makes me happy is an older NJS Dura-Ace bottom bracket. It's designed for a taper that nothing I have is really compatible with though

If you're talking roadie type stuff I may be an interested party...
What is the bottom bracket? The only Dura-Ace keirin bottom brackets I know of are the Octalink interface, the 7700 and 7710... Is that what you have? If you have a square taper NJS Dura Ace BB, I might lose my mind I have a BB-7710 that was installed in a keirin frame I purchased and it languishes within a greasy sandwich bag at the bottom of the aforementioned parts bin as I can't afford to pay what is required for the appropriate crankset—though ever the eagle eye is on eBay

I don't have anything a roadie would be interested in, think more 'retrogrouch' or 'old school aficionado' , i.e. a 90s Bridgestone frame and Mikashima quill pedals
Old 02-28-21, 06:05 PM
abshipp 

What is the bottom bracket? The only Dura-Ace keirin bottom brackets I know of are the Octalink interface, the 7700 and 7710... Is that what you have? If you have a square taper NJS Dura Ace BB, I might lose my mind I have a BB-7710 that was installed in a keirin frame I purchased and it languishes within a greasy sandwich bag at the bottom of the aforementioned parts bin as I can't afford to pay what is required for the appropriate crankset—though ever the eagle eye is on eBay

I don't have anything a roadie would be interested in, think more 'retrogrouch' or 'old school aficionado' , i.e. a 90s Bridgestone frame and Mikashima quill pedals
It's this one. Came inside a cheap track frame I bought on eBay for like $175.
Old 02-28-21, 07:03 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Wow...This has thrown me for quite a loop. I did not know anything about DynaDrive until now... (In doing research, I also never knew that Fuji made keirin frames, something which had long caused me to ponder: Why doesn't Fuji make keirin frames like Bridgestone does? Apparently they have and I am an ignorant idiot.)

If I'm honest, this DynaDrive/7200 system is becoming very interesting... Thank you so much for introducing me to it
Old 02-28-21, 07:16 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

Twingle Steed
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 02-28-21, 10:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer

Twingle Steed
I would love to see a proper shot of the bike the action shot is interesting but you can't see much.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-28-21, 11:00 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would love to see a proper shot of the bike the action shot is interesting but you can't see much.

The lightest bike I've ridden anyway, up, down, or sideways.
Old 02-28-21, 11:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer

The lightest bike I've ridden anyway, up, down, or sideways.
I was worried I was gonna see something I liked a lot now that I am looking at that first photo again after seeing these I did notice the DEAN logo. I should have figured. It looked like titanium but I wasn't sure.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-28-21, 11:30 PM
Sorcerer

Okay, I'll go again. More to dislike I figure. But this one I like too.

Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 03-01-21, 11:44 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I love that bike so, so much... It remains one of my favorite bicycles posted to these threads
Thanks - you are too kind - ride safe
Old 03-01-21, 03:06 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

I just picked up a new frame I am going to build up over the next few days.

Some of you will know who this builder (Paul Taylor) is (was) there are many posts about him from maybe 2010 or so. He seemed to go from famous to infamous but I'll leave that to the readers.

I have wanted this frame since I first saw it, it took a while to get the deal right, I like the detail, the feel and the size of this. I have tried a set of 700C wheels on with 28 Gatorskin tires with good clearance all around.

Going with a set of lightish components, single speed with certainly a rear brake, maybe a front. Anyone that has a nice light set of wheels to sell I might be very interested. Other items as well.

Last edited by bykemike; 03-01-21 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 06:06 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
Beautiful!

Originally Posted by bykemike
I just picked up a new frame I am going to build up over the next few days.

Some of you will know who this builder (Paul Taylor) is (was) there are many posts about him from maybe 2010 or so. He seemed to go from famous to infamous but I'll leave that to the readers.

I have wanted this frame since I first saw it, it took a while to get the deal right, I like the detail, the feel and the size of this. I have tried a set of 700C wheels on with 28 Gatorskin tires with good clearance all around.

Going with a set of lightish components, single speed with certainly a rear brake, maybe a front. Anyone that has a nice light set of wheels to sell I might be very interested. Other items as well.

Was this the 58cm on the auction site?! I was watching that one also. Beautiful details on that. Can't wait to see it built up!
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 03-01-21, 08:54 PM
bykemike 

This was that one. I communicated with the seller a few times, it wasn't exactly flying out the door so I wanted some more details about the builder but couldn't get any info. I did locate some of Taylors work though after a little time on the net I checked out a few of his other bikes, right down to the precious little Kangaroo on the bike logo.

There are so many single speed/fixie frames out there these days, nice work, many of them but nothing too distinctive (my Wabi is an example) this bike has some nice touches though, maybe it's my age but I do like bikes with little additional details.

This has a very cool internal cable routing for the rear brake too. Look for some of Paul Taylors frames on line. USA guy out of Nevada. I weighed it in tonight at 2735 grams (including headset and fork, not overly light but less than I expected.
Old 03-01-21, 10:19 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 146 Posts
I hear you

bykemike beautiful project you have there. And I agree. I have some good quality bikes, but have been focusing on quality and uniqueness the past couple of years. Enjoy and ride as much as possible.
Likes For Senrab62:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.