Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Friendly Tesla Sneaking Up On My Six

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-04-21, 04:39 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts

I ride slow in a quiet up and down, half in the woods, mostly residential neighbourhood with old torn up roads. I keep my ears tuned for traffic coming up behind me and its mostly pretty easy to hear the tires rolling on old asphalt and loose gravel. Today on my short daily ride I was puffing up a small hill that I turn around on to return home. Right before my regular turn, I heard a Beep Beep from a car locking its doors. Whoa... Sure enough there was a fancy new Tesla slowly rolling silently up behind me.

Don't get me wrong, it was not entirely silent, but with my tinnitus and heart pounding in my ears from the climb, I did not hear it. I stopped to catch my breath and he pulled up next to me. I thanked him for the beep. We talked a while. He was from the Round Rock area (North Austin Texas) and scouting out some new routes. It appears that ridding anywhere around Austin is getting to crowded. I told him of some of my local routes and thier difficulty. It was a pleasant conversation. When he pulled off I noticed there was a trailer hitch bike rack on the back of his Tesla with what appeared to be a new Topstone Cannondale attached. (Must be nice)

It was a good contact and I will defiantly remember that a Beep in this case was certainly more appropriate than laying on the horn.
Old 06-04-21, 06:13 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I was frequently missing Teslas when they first started popping up and was a bit concerned, but now I am cued in to the tire noise and I always know they are coming now.

I am also on the other end of the deal, I am an "old timer" Tesla owner having the original model. I really had to watch it when I first got it as walkers and bikers were completely clueless I was coming. I have noticed a definite improvement over the years though.. good thing humans are adaptive!
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 06-04-21, 08:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
How you can scare a walker or runner when you come from behind on your bike I usually will say something so they are aware of my presence but if they are listening to music with earphones??
Old 06-04-21, 09:10 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 902 Posts
eyeglass, helmet or handlebar mirrors ftw!!
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 06-05-21, 09:45 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
... but if they are listening to music with earphones??
Ha... So true... I have noticed fewer cyclists wearing head phones when ridding in Central Texas. There are no laws against it, it's just pure survival instinct.

AHhhhh... The music of birds singing, air rushing, tires rolling across the surface, and a Regina Classic freewheel coasting along...
Old 06-06-21, 07:39 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
How you can scare a walker or runner when you come from behind on your bike I usually will say something so they are aware of my presence but if they are listening to music with earphones??
Oh, I've been in a situation where there were two of us on a tandem yelling at a guy and he had noooooo idea. Must've been painful to have his music that loud.

OTOH, me yesterday: "On your right!" Walker: *looks over her left shoulder*

I think I've told the story here before of the time I was running... a guy was coming down the sidewalk from his house (so, we were side-on to each other at right angles). Did. Not. See. Me. At. All. Like, no peripheral vision whatsoever-- a large moving object 2-4 feet away from him; didn't hear the footsteps, most people hear me breathing before I even have a chance to say anything... nope, not him. He turns onto the sidewalk almost right in front of me, predictably drifts across the middle of the sidewalk (now right in front of me). "On your left!" I say. He jumps, throws his arms in the air, and half screams. It was so stupidly dramatic I honestly thought he was joking around until I saw his face and realized that nope... I'd just scared the $#*@ out of him. Dude took "lack of situational awareness" to a whole new level... for a while I was nervous about running past his house again lest he see me and be like, "there's that creepy chick!" LOL
Likes For Kat12:
Old 06-17-21, 03:35 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts

If you're cruising with stuff in your ears you'd better constantly watch your 6:00
Likes For Zinger:
Old 06-18-21, 02:33 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Moved from Foo
Old 06-20-21, 03:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
A Garmin Varia is the answer to this. Easily my best safety gadget on the bike. I wouldn’t ride on the roads without one anymore.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-20-21, 10:32 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
No rear-view mirror?!? Ride without one if you have to. But if you don't have to, why would you? I always ride with eye-protection, which is also a handy place to clip a mirror to.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 06-20-21, 10:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
No rear-view mirror?!? Ride without one if you have to. But if you don't have to, why would you? I always ride with eye-protection, which is also a handy place to clip a mirror to.
Me

Old 06-21-21, 02:26 PM
ususum

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aah, the sweet surprises having tinnitus in your life brings...
Likes For ususum:
Old 07-26-21, 03:53 PM
crewdog

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I always ride with a Rhode Gear mirror that goes on the left brake hood and I constantly check it when on the road. If I get surprised by someone behind me, it is usually a biker. I usually listen for the tires of a car to know it is coming up behind me.
Old 07-27-21, 01:44 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Oh, I've been in a situation where there were two of us on a tandem yelling at a guy and he had noooooo idea. Must've been painful to have his music that loud.

OTOH, me yesterday: "On your right!" Walker: *looks over her left shoulder*

I think I've told the story here before of the time I was running... a guy was coming down the sidewalk from his house (so, we were side-on to each other at right angles). Did. Not. See. Me. At. All. Like, no peripheral vision whatsoever-- a large moving object 2-4 feet away from him; didn't hear the footsteps, most people hear me breathing before I even have a chance to say anything... nope, not him. He turns onto the sidewalk almost right in front of me, predictably drifts across the middle of the sidewalk (now right in front of me). "On your left!" I say. He jumps, throws his arms in the air, and half screams. It was so stupidly dramatic I honestly thought he was joking around until I saw his face and realized that nope... I'd just scared the $#*@ out of him. Dude took "lack of situational awareness" to a whole new level... for a while I was nervous about running past his house again lest he see me and be like, "there's that creepy chick!" LOL
One day my husband was walking down the street towards his best friend, who was facing him. When my husband reached him and greeted him, the dude shrieked and jumped. Just because the lights are on, doesn't mean anyone's home.
Likes For Korina:
Old 07-27-21, 05:33 PM
Kat12

Originally Posted by Korina
One day my husband was walking down the street towards his best friend, who was facing him. When my husband reached him and greeted him, the dude shrieked and jumped. Just because the lights are on, doesn't mean anyone's home.
LOL! Did he have ADHD, by any chance?
Old 07-27-21, 06:57 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

LOL! Did he have ADHD, by any chance?
Nope, he does not.
Old 07-28-21, 06:42 AM
Kat12

Originally Posted by Korina
Nope, he does not.
It sounds like a very ADHD thing... getting lost in your thoughts and not noticing anything else around!
Old 07-28-21, 01:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

It sounds like a very ADHD thing... getting lost in your thoughts and not noticing anything else around!
I should say not as far as I know. We all fell out of touch when my husband and I moved to the other end of California. It's funny; people always assumed they were brothers, even though they looked nothing alike.
Old 08-04-21, 06:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Ha... So true... I have noticed fewer cyclists wearing head phones when ridding in Central Texas. There are no laws against it, it's just pure survival instinct.

AHhhhh... The music of birds singing, air rushing, tires rolling across the surface, and a Regina Classic freewheel coasting along...
Or in my case last night, the constant "EEEEEEEWOEEEEEEEWOEEEEEEWOEEEEEE" from thousands of cicadas in just about every tree in town.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-04-21, 08:41 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Or in my case last night, the constant "EEEEEEEWOEEEEEEEWOEEEEEEWOEEEEEE" from thousands of cicadas in just about every tree in town.
The sound of the 17 year itch.