Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling shorts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 11:48 AM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I used Wosawe over the last 6 months. I am more impressed with them at $18 that I paid (gel pad) than I am with the $60 Pearl Izumi shorts I ordered from their site.

The chamois is much better, leg grips much better, fit is much better, thighs are more supportive, fabric thicker, have more reflective strips ( I ride often at night), and overall more comfortable. I'm a heavy rider so I would think lighter riders would find them even more comfy. They feel good on the first ride, maybe a little stiff down the very center but after a few rides, much more comfortable. But true to size on the chart-0-gram.

I paid $18 6 months ago but just received another 2 pair for $20 each. 2 dollar increase, OUCH! China Speed Pack shipping was rather quick. Maybe 2 weeks vs the 2 month shipping horror stories I read about.

The shorts are shown inside out to show the chamois.
How is their sizing in relation to USA size? I'd like to try one.
And what's the difference between MTB shorts and road?

Last edited by gilpi; 06-10-21 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 11:53 AM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gilpi
How is their sizing in relation to USA size?
My question, too.
Old 06-10-21, 03:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Oh, we talking "Golden Showers"? Wasn't there an expose about that!
I don't know about an expose, but there was a Beatles song.
Old 06-10-21, 03:29 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I don't know about an expose, but there was a Beatles song.

also don't forget the Streisand/Diamond duet "You don't Bring me Showers (Golden) Anymore"

Nobody knew it was a song dedicated to healthy prostate function. I learned that in the green room bathroom at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion at the 1981 Grammys. One of the guys in Supertramp told me. I think it was the drummer. I was pretty high.

I wear cycling shorts.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 06-10-21, 04:05 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I don't understand how a brand can get a rep for fitting well or poorly. If it's not custom made, the manufacturer has to design for a model. To the extent you're like the model they chose, the clothes will fit well. To the extent you're unlike the model, they won't fit well. Of course, with the materials that are used in cycling clothes, it's easier to find a good fit than if the clothes were made with, say, pure cotton, but logic seems to say:

the fact that brand N fits or doesn't fit one poster says very little, if anything, about how the brand will fit another rider.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-10-21, 04:16 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by philbob57
I don't understand how a brand can get a rep for fitting well or poorly. If it's not custom made, the manufacturer has to design for a model. To the extent you're like the model they chose, the clothes will fit well. To the extent you're unlike the model, they won't fit well. Of course, with the materials that are used in cycling clothes, it's easier to find a good fit than if the clothes were made with, say, pure cotton, but logic seems to say:

the fact that brand N fits or doesn't fit one poster says very little, if anything, about how the brand will fit another rider.
There are many many many comments online (Amazon, AliExpress, Ebay) that complain that clothing that fits a "medium" - size Chinese resident doesn't fit a 'medium' -sized North American.
So IMO it's sensible to ask if ordering from China.
Quite a few Chinese product descriptions I've seen explicitly state "Order one size larger for Canda and USA".
This situation isn't helped by the fact that clothing companies have changed sizing for the N. American market over the years to make us feel better about our expanding waistlines and butts.
It started with women's clothing ("I still wear a size 8!") and progressed to mens sizing. I used to wear a L in most shirts and jackets, now it's M for practically everything...and, no, I'm not getting slimmer.
Old 06-10-21, 04:33 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I understand that. I also know there's variation within sizes, variations in the same size from one company to another, from one line to another within the same brand, etc., etc., etc. I know L in the low end Pearl Izumi line fits me pretty well, but the LL Bean L is too loose fro my comfort.

But I wouldn't say, 'PI jerseys fit well', or 'LL Bean jerseys fit poorly.' All I would say is that PI's L is a good bet for me and LL Bean's L isn't..
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-10-21, 05:08 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I mentioned true to size on my post, but they seem to be spot on with what I expected. They provide a size chart as well, as mentioned, their chart-o-gram.

I think their may be a language barrier in the description. They say and other say for MTB, hybrid, and Road. I think they worded it wrong as these are road bike shorts. I think they mean they can be used on any of the above but they are not MTB short, just like the pic shows, road bike style. Like me, maybe they use them on their mtb's as well so they call it that, though they're not, you know what I mean.

As far as sizing, I got the 3XL and they feel great. The 3XL PI are loose and baggy around the knees. These fit very well. I have used 2XL in PI and they are a bit snug so I went 3XL. PI suck and these Wosawe fit very well. So compared to a PI 2XL, I'd say they are spot on with the Wosawe 2XL. The 3 XL are just a little more comfy for my size but fit very well. The waist measurements listed in their size charts seem to be spot on!
Do you have a link to the model version you purchased?

I'm also a bit on the larger size. BUT I have some older Pearl Izumi shorts (about four pair) and while the large fits me with a bit of a stomach roll, the XL and XXL that I have don't seem to fit in the butt. I guess there's too much fabric or looseness and I get chaffing which I don't get with the tighter Large size. Presumably my butt is not as large as my gut! But I recently ordered some PI Large shorts from REI and they did not fit. I also went to the REI store but stock was low and I tried on 3 different brands and none were what I wanted but settled for an REI branded short.

I have been riding more and wanted a few extra pair to get me through if I don't launder as frequently.
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-10-21, 05:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I understand that. I also know there's variation within sizes, variations in the same size from one company to another, from one line to another within the same brand, etc., etc., etc. I know L in the low end Pearl Izumi line fits me pretty well, but the LL Bean L is too loose fro my comfort.

But I wouldn't say, 'PI jerseys fit well', or 'LL Bean jerseys fit poorly.' All I would say is that PI's L is a good bet for me and LL Bean's L isn't..
Mostly true, but there are some (cheap) brands that are poorly designed and are ill-fitting for most people. In that case "Brand ZZZ fits poorly" is justified.
Old 06-11-21, 04:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts

Some brands are just better than others at both designing the cut to fit comfortably in a riding position, offering a wide range of sizes (one bib brand I know offers 3 different chamois widths in each size) and a comprehensive guide to choosing the right size.

Obviously they have to be designed around a range of different sized human models, so if you are well outside that range you may need to look elsewhere. Some brands use different models for their different ranges eg race fit and comfort fit etc.

Some brands also have more consistent sizing than others across their range. So if I’m a medium in one item, I would expect to be a medium in another item of the same brand.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-12-21, 02:05 PM
PeteHski

Inspired by this thread I treated myself to a new pair of mtb shorts and liners from 7-mesh. Expensive, but very nice quality, fit and comfort. I did a 3 hour trail ride in them today and although it was hot and humid, they stayed remarkably dry. Also no catching on the saddle, which is my number 1 issue with mtb shorts. The liners are the best I've yet come across, no running up the legs, not too much padding and cut nicely around my manhood. The shell is super-lightweight too and cut perfectly for riding with deep pockets in all the right places. I would still say quality road bib-shorts are the most comfortable to ride in, but these are far more casual and easily wearable off the bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-12-21, 02:17 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 252 Posts
I wear MTB shorts with liners.

I own traditional stretch bike shorts, "mountain bike" shorts as well as bibs. At 63 I'm not the svelte young buck I used to be so until I get down to my "fighting weight", I'd rather not look like a stuffed sausage riding down the road in stretch shorts so I wear mountain bike shorts with liners inside my Endura mountain bike shorts. Are they a little hotter? Yes, but not too bad. Plus, I can use them for mowing the lawn and doing errands on the weekend.
Old 06-12-21, 02:41 PM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Took me a long time to graduate to cycling shorts. Thirty years later, I can't go back, even on the short rides the comfort level is way up there.
Likes For gilpi:
Old 06-13-21, 07:52 AM
GiantGoldenMole

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Shorts

I bought a few pairs of cheeper cycling shorts on amazon (about £10 each) as I've just started to commute by bike and noticed a bit of a sore bum after my commute. Unfortunately after using them for a few days they don't seem to have any real effect for me. I commuted today without them and haven't noticed much of a difference.

Next plan of action is trying something a bit better quality and see if that has any effect.
Old 06-13-21, 09:30 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by GiantGoldenMole
I bought a few pairs of cheeper cycling shorts on amazon (about £10 each) as I've just started to commute by bike and noticed a bit of a sore bum after my commute. Unfortunately after using them for a few days they don't seem to have any real effect for me. I commuted today without them and haven't noticed much of a difference.

Next plan of action is trying something a bit better quality and see if that has any effect.
Using an anti-friction product is part of the solution for me. There are a lot of choices - old-style 'chamois creams' (which you usually put on your skin, not the pad in the shorts) like Assos cream and Chamois Butt'r and anti-friction products like Slipstream, Brave Soldier, Sport Shield, Body Glide.

And, I find that better quality shorts help for me for longer rides.In my RedWhite and Hincapie shorts the padding seems to conform better and the fabric keeps 'things' from moving around without feeling too constricting. It's easy to get 'spoiled' once you find shorts that work well.

Avoiding a sore butt is worth quite a lot of expense to me, but I'll be happy if I find something cheap that does the job. Perhaps with more miles of riding, I'll toughen up?
Old 06-13-21, 09:51 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Comfort is has more to do with saddle type, proper bike fit and conditioning which comes form spending time in the saddle.. You shouldn't have to use butt cream and fancy expensive bibs for a short duration ride...
Old 06-13-21, 10:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
My experience with cheap bike shorts is that they work out so rarely that in the end they don't save me any money, and waste a lot of my time

I cannot count how many times I have succumbed to the recommendation of people on this or other bike sites about some awesome $25 bike short, only to either immediately return it after trying them on, or go ahead and give them a try, and regret doing so (I am not about to return used bike shorts).

Some aspects of road/gravel cycling I am willing to go super cheap (glasses, shirts), others aspects it just needs to be half-decent and functional (pretty much the entire bike), but a few I want the good stuff and I am willing to pay for it (tires, shorts).
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-13-21, 11:37 AM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Comfort is has more to do with saddle type, proper bike fit and conditioning which comes from spending time in the saddle.. You shouldn't have to use butt cream and fancy expensive bibs for a short duration ride...
For folks with a lot of bike miles behind them, the 'butt of steel' is probaby well developed, and they have worked out all the things (bike fit, clothing, etc) that work for them.
The problem is that for many of us, we can't put in those miles unless we take a lot of care not to get injured - muscle and joint problems with over-training for example.
Those 'injuries' can also include chafing and general 'butt' problems which may sound trivial but aren't!
So bike fit, saddle choice, clothing, creams - all can have their place...for me. YMMV, etc etc..
Old 06-13-21, 09:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,601 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
My experience with cheap bike shorts is that they work out so rarely that in the end they don't save me any money, and waste a lot of my time

I cannot count how many times I have succumbed to the recommendation of people on this or other bike sites about some awesome $25 bike short, only to either immediately return it after trying them on, or go ahead and give them a try, and regret doing so (I am not about to return used bike shorts).

Some aspects of road/gravel cycling I am willing to go super cheap (glasses, shirts), others aspects it just needs to be half-decent and functional (pretty much the entire bike), but a few I want the good stuff and I am willing to pay for it (tires, shorts).
After reading the rave reviews for more expensive kit, I purchased ASOS shorts to feel the superior comfort and fit. I was very disappointed that these expensive shorts were not nearly as comfortable as my Sponeeds from Amazon for one third of the price. Yes a sample of one does is not representative of the high end brands, but after this experience, I am skeptical there is a panacea, but rather what feels good to you.

Old 06-13-21, 10:25 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I heard on tv that if you have one of those that lasts for more than two hours you should seek emergency treatment. I guess as long as there’s room in your baggie shorts you’re probably ok.
you heard wrong, it’s actually 4 hours.
Tim
Old 06-14-21, 02:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rsbob
After reading the rave reviews for more expensive kit, I purchased ASOS shorts to feel the superior comfort and fit. I was very disappointed that these expensive shorts were not nearly as comfortable as my Sponeeds from Amazon for one third of the price. Yes a sample of one does is not representative of the high end brands, but after this experience, I am skeptical there is a panacea, but rather what feels good to you.
Just to be clear I presume you meant ASSOS and not ASOS, which is another cheap clothing brand.

I have 1 pair of ASSOS shorts. Quality is great, but I find the fit slightly odd. For that reason they are not my favourite shorts, but certainly not my worst experience.
Old 06-14-21, 12:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,601 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Just to be clear I presume you meant ASSOS and not ASOS, which is another cheap clothing brand.

I have 1 pair of ASSOS shorts. Quality is great, but I find the fit slightly odd. For that reason they are not my favourite shorts, but certainly not my worst experience.
Yes, ASSOS from Switzerland. Great quality and a great weggie when first putting them on. Can’t say the comfort was unparalleled. Can’t say my cycling can live up to them either since my quads aren’t big enough to fill the 1.5” elastic expansion panels on the bottom of the legs either.

Just for grins, last night I ordered a pair of “ black bib” shorts

Last edited by rsbob; 06-14-21 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 01:31 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I haven't reidden "mountatin bike" type shorts in 15 or 20 years, so maybe things have changed. When I first got cycing shorts,....that's what I got. When i switched, I found road bike shorts to be way more comfortable. But maybe they're better now. I've bought a lot of shorts from an online place, I've bought some from aerotech design that are pretty good, and cheaper than Pearl Izumi...I've never bought their shorts, but I've bought tights from places like Nashbar and Performance bike, and they tend to end up having problems (like defective zippers at the ankles).
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 06-14-21, 01:38 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I used to have the same conversation with cyclists online and in person because I've never worn cycling kit:

​​​​​​"You need it to prevent chafing."
Me: I don't chafe when I ride.
"Try riding in street clothes for 50 miles and see how that goes."
Me: I rode 150 miles a couple days ago.

Occasionally, someone would then accuse me of not riding the 150 miles "hard", which I thought was especially funny.

I have no idea if you could ride in street clothes without chafing, but I'm pretty sure you know. Telling other people what they should or shouldn't wear to be comfortable is pretty silly. What you do works for you.

I only worry that some people get discouraged from trying to ride because some salesperson has convinced them they shouldn't ride a few miles without wearing $500 in kit.
When i first took up riding, i rode in street cloths. I thought cycling cloths were silly. A few years later, I somewhow switched. And was really upset that I hadn't done so sooner. SO much more comfortable. So better at managing sweat.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 06-14-21, 01:42 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I consider what I wear on my regular long rides to be "street clothes.". I wear a tight tee shirt and regular (not bike branded) cargo shorts. I also use platform pedals and wear sneakers. I've done multiple 150 mile rides in that outfit, and I don't suffer any ill effects. It also makes it a lot easier to hop off the bike and walk around whatever town I happen to be riding through.

I suspect a lot of people think they will suffer without the kit only because other people tell them they will.
I DO suffer with out it...when i was riding in the summer, wearing ordinary shorts iwth underwear, I would get HORRIBLE itching. And worse. Cycling shorts got rid of that. Maybe depends on how much you sweat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.