Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

NDS BB Gap

Old 06-07-21, 06:13 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
NDS BB Gap

Bought a new Andel Track Crankset a long while ago with a Shimano BB, just installed it. Basically I can pick between a gap on either side, should I even try to remedy it or just leave it?

Noticed the old Andel RSC'1 are a lot more narrow than the newer Andel's.
Old 06-07-21, 07:01 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
The Andel RSC1 cranks require a 103mm JIS BB, whereas the Andel Standard cranks require a 110mm JIS BB.

I don't understand that photo, because the NDS cup should be fully threaded with no flange, so that it can be adjusted.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 06-07-21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-07-21, 09:16 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
What TT said. Usually the drive side cup bottoms out on a flange against the BB shell, and then the non-drive side stops anywhere from just proud of the shell’s edge to flush with it, but there should be nothing on the outside to stop it.
Old 06-08-21, 12:17 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Dunno ... that looks like a UN55, which has a flange on both sides. Wouldn't be my choice, but you could probably put a spacer in there to close the gap.

Last edited by Rolla; 06-08-21 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-08-21, 10:10 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Dunno ... that looks like a UN55, which has a flange on both sides. Wouldn't be my choice, but you could probably put a spacer in there to close the gap.
Hey, you’re right. I’ve even used the UN-55, but forgot that’s how it looks. Maybe I was thinking of UN-26, which is very similar but with a plastic ND side cup. I’m sure it has no flange.

OP, I think it shouldn’t be a problem, assuming the inner surface is pressing against the cartridge body. Not sure why they put that flange on the ND side. There must be a reason, but it might not be an important one in your application.
Old 06-08-21, 11:45 AM
Philasteve

Not sure why they won't play nice together. Does anyone have a suggestion for a different BB? I'm about to just grab this and call it a day. https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...14086513262653

Last edited by Philasteve; 06-08-21 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-08-21, 01:01 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Philasteve
Does anyone have a suggestion for a different BB? =
I'm a fan of the Velo Orange bottom brackets -- the 110 is even in stock rn.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-08-21, 02:27 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Philasteve
Not sure why they it won't play nice together. Does anyone have a suggestion for a different BB? I'm about to just grab this and call it a day. https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...14086513262653
That's an excellent choice, very good quality at a very reasonable price. I was going to suggest the IRD QB-55 that is the same price but lighter weight, but unfortunately it is out of stock at RG.

The reason the Shimano BB-UN55 won't work with your frame, is that it expects the frame's BB shell to be exactly 68mm wide, and yours must be just a tiny bit less, resulting in the gap. It's really a very stupid design, and I think you are wise to get something else.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-08-21, 02:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Wouldn't be my choice, but you could probably put a spacer in there to close the gap.
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The reason the Shimano BB-UN55 won't work with your frame, is that it expects the frame's BB shell to be exactly 68mm wide, and yours must be just a tiny bit less, resulting in the gap. It's really a very stupid design, and I think you are wise to get something else.
There's no reason why the OP couldn't put a spacer under the flange. It's on the NDS, so the chainline isn't affected.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-08-21, 02:52 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
There's no reason why the OP couldn't put a spacer under the flange. It's on the NDS, so the chainline isn't affected.
Yes, but if the spacer is too thick, then the NDS cup won't fit snug against the BB cartridge, which can lead to play and creaking. I still say it's a stupid design, and the OP is better off getting something else that isn't a hassle.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-08-21, 05:02 PM
Philasteve

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
That's an excellent choice, very good quality at a very reasonable price. I was going to suggest the IRD QB-55 that is the same price but lighter weight, but unfortunately it is out of stock at RG.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the advice. I actually tried to get that IRD first but of course every size is in stock except for the one I need like you said lol. I did order the Tange, I'll take the loss on the Shimano that thing was like 18 bucks, I have no idea why I bought that over the newer Shimano UN300 in the first place.
Old 06-09-21, 06:29 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
This is a UN-55 in one of my bikes. Can you make out the spacer? It's there. When I first got this frame, I had the shell faced - damn thing came back 67mm wide. Like on the OP's bike the UN-55 I got for it would not snug-up all the way on the NDS. I decided to put a 1 mm spacer on the drive side. Works good for me. Hope whatever you choose to do on your bike works as well for you...

Old 06-09-21, 09:25 AM
Rolla

Originally Posted by IAmSam
This is a UN-55 in one of my bikes. Can you make out the spacer? It's there. When I first got this frame, I had the shell faced - damn thing came back 67mm wide. Like on the OP's bike the UN-55 I got for it would not snug-up all the way on the NDS. I decided to put a 1 mm spacer on the drive side. Works good for me. Hope whatever you choose to do on your bike works as well for you...
That's how I envisioned a spacer working on the OP's bike, but as @TejanoTrackie said, doing that will affect chainline. Because your BB shell was shaved by a millimeter, the spacer had no net effect on yours, but that may not be the case with the OP's bike. Whether a millimeter of chainline makes any significant difference is a question of how straight it is to begin with.
Old 06-12-21, 05:49 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
I agree with JohnDThompson on my RRB track bike, the BB was likely faced by previous owner. Used a spacer, and perfect fit. Easy peasy.
Old 06-14-21, 04:11 PM
Philasteve

No more open gap, NDS cup was on there super tight when I pulled it from the box. Screwed it in and almost put my elbow through the wall trying to pull it off. Probably an easier way but oh well.
Likes For Philasteve: