Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone using a 12S XX1 Eagle chain on 2x drive chain??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 06:39 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts

Anyone using a 12S XX1 Eagle chain on 2x drive chain?? It's one of Sram's chains listed on its website as using X-SYNC technology, which is for 1x drive chains (link here).

My understanding is that X-SYNC is implemented on the chainring though, so I'm wondering if there's something specific about an "X-SYNC" chain that would make it unusable on a 2x drive chain? Anyone know?

Last edited by Kabuto; 06-14-21 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Why not just use the correct chain? Why do so many people feel the need to use the incorrect parts all the time. X-Sync is a system designed to work together to keep the chain on at the front. If you are running a 2x you don't want that you want the chain to be able to derail onto the bigger or smaller chainring. Plus 1x chains will likely be shorter.

It is not like you will save money going with a 1x chain and if you do it is not going to be enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 06-14-21, 10:07 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why not just use the correct chain?.
Because the "correct" chain results in an annoyingly noisy drive chain.

Plus 1x chains will likely be shorter.
Actually longer. Dura Ace chain - 116 links, XX1 Eagle chain - 126 links.

It is not like you will save money going with a 1x chain and if you do it is not going to be enough to make it worthwhile.
The money is already spent as I have an XX1 Eagle chain on another bike. Anyway, its not about saving money, its about making the drive chain quieter. Before swapping it over and trying for myself, I wanted to see if someone else had already done so.
Old 06-14-21, 10:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Kabuto
Because the "correct" chain results in an annoyingly noisy drive chain.

Actually longer. Dura Ace chain - 116 links, XX1 Eagle chain - 126 links.

The money is already spent as I have an XX1 Eagle chain on another bike. Anyway, its not about saving money, its about making the drive chain quieter. Before swapping it over and trying for myself, I wanted to see if someone else had already done so.
How about using the correct chain rather than the "correct" chain. Also I would make sure everything is properly adjusted by a professional mechanic who knows what they are doing and also make sure everything is properly lubed and cleaned and not cross chained. Check with the manufacturer of the derailleurs and chainrings and cassette and see what they recommend.

Dura Ace is Shimano road XX1 eagle is SRAM mountain. Not an excellent comparison road drivetrains probably are likely to have tighter ratios. 1X stuff has bigger cassettes and mountain bikes in general have larger cassettes requiring longer chains. Also two different manufacturers.

So you are trying to use a used chain on a different drivetrain? It may work but honestly those things wear together so it could cause other problems but then again if that was your plan all along why not have done that if you aren't buying a new chain.
Old 06-14-21, 10:46 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
I would like to know as well…SRAM is touting these chains are much more durable because of new manufacturing technologies, but there isn’t a 2X recommended offset…Would be helpful to know if someone has tried it and if it works with 2X….
Old 06-14-21, 11:06 PM
Kabuto

How about using the correct chain rather than the "correct" chain. Also I would make sure everything is properly adjusted by a professional mechanic who knows what they are doing and also make sure everything is properly lubed and cleaned and not cross chained. Check with the manufacturer of the derailleurs and chainrings and cassette and see what they recommend.
Everything is properly lubed and adjusted, and manufacturer recommendations have already been followed. Quotation marks because the correct chain is noisy as hell and certainly doesn't sound like its the correct one.

Dura Ace is Shimano road XX1 eagle is SRAM mountain. Not an excellent comparison road drivetrains probably are likely to have tighter ratios. 1X stuff has bigger cassettes and mountain bikes in general have larger cassettes requiring longer chains. Also two different manufacturers.
I'm pretty sure 12S drive trains have tighter tolerances than 11S drive chains, regardless of manufacturer or intended use (MTB or road). Exactly what should make the 12S chain quieter than the "correct" 11S chain it may end up replacing.

So you are trying to use a used chain on a different drivetrain? It may work but honestly those things wear together so it could cause other problems but then again if that was your plan all along why not have done that if you aren't buying a new chain.
No, I'm thinking about trying the XX1 chain on a Shimano 2x 11S drive chain, but I haven't actually done it yet. What I am doing is asking here if anyone has already tried it.
Old 06-14-21, 11:09 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by 55tele
I would like to know as well…SRAM is touting these chains are much more durable because of new manufacturing technologies, but there isn’t a 2X recommended offset…Would be helpful to know if someone has tried it and if it works with 2X….
The XX1 chains certainly don't appear to have any special rampings etc. that would make for poor shifting in a 2x system. Looks like a very simple design. Hopefully someone who has tried it will chime in.
Old 06-14-21, 11:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Everything is properly lubed and adjusted, and manufacturer recommendations have already been followed. Quotation marks because the correct chain is noisy as hell and certainly doesn't sound like its the correct one.

I'm pretty sure 12S drive trains have tighter tolerances than 11S drive chains, regardless of manufacturer or intended use (MTB or road). Exactly what should make the 12S chain quieter than the "correct" 11S chain it may end up replacing.

No, I'm thinking about trying the XX1 chain on a Shimano 2x 11S drive chain, but I haven't actually done it yet. What I am doing is asking here if anyone has already tried it.
Wait wait wait wait...you are trying to run 12 speed on 11 speed? NO, absolutely NO! Check to make sure your chain is put on properly. The 11 speed Dura-Ace Chain is DIRECTIONAL. That could solve your issues right there. If you are still unsure take it down to your local shop and have them take a look. You can also count the number of cogs at the back if it is 11 you need an 11 speed chain if 12 you need a 12 speed chain and so on and so forth.

I would hope people aren't trying 12 speed chains on 11 speed drivetrains for any reason. It just seems silly.
Old 06-14-21, 11:31 PM
Kabuto

Check to make sure your chain is put on properly. The 11 speed Dura-Ace Chain is DIRECTIONAL.
Chain is on properly. Yes, I know its directional. Yep, I can count 11 cogs in the back. Thanks anyway.

Wait wait wait wait...you are trying to run 12 speed on 11 speed? NO, absolutely NO!

I would hope people aren't trying 12 speed chains on 11 speed drivetrains for any reason. It just seems silly.
Don't go reading this thread then > Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace
Old 06-14-21, 11:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Chain is on properly. Yes, I know its directional. Yep, I can count 11 cogs in the back. Thanks anyway.

Don't go reading this thread then > Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain on 9100 series Dura Ace
Just making sure, a lot of folks may not know and may not have installed it all properly and gotten everything adjusted and aren't cross chaining the every is all set up properly and the frame is aligned and all that stuff. I see stuff like that with decent frequency. I would take it to a professional and have them take a good look at it. Something sounds like it is off if everything is correct and you are having excessive noise.
Old 06-14-21, 11:55 PM
Kabuto

I would take it to a professional and have them take a good look at it.
The professional mechanic that set my bike up did a very mediocre job, which is understandable to an extent considering the limited time he can spend working on each bike. And I do admit I'm pretty fussy.

Something sounds like it is off if everything is correct and you are having excessive noise.
You would think so, right? I'm not the only one who has experienced it though, if this thread is anything to go by > Dura Ace 9100/9150 noisier than 9000!
Old 06-15-21, 07:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The professional mechanic that set my bike up did a very mediocre job, which is understandable to an extent considering the limited time he can spend working on each bike. And I do admit I'm pretty fussy.

You would think so, right? I'm not the only one who has experienced it though, if this thread is anything to go by > Dura Ace 9100/9150 noisier than 9000!
Bring it back to them and have them fix it. Our shop warranties the labor for 30 days your shop probably has some sort of policy like that.

The weight weenies are a fussy bunch. I do enjoy the concept but some of the minutia is kinda silly.
Old 06-15-21, 07:59 PM
Kabuto

So, back to the question in the OP... is anyone here using a 12S XX1 Eagle chain on 2x drive chain??
Old 06-16-21, 12:39 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
the only eyebrow I raise is to the 1x not taking into account the side loads of the front crank gears of a 2x system during an engagement command of a der event, if that even matters. Give it a whirl & give us a whoot on how it turns out!
Old 07-12-21, 06:24 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by Troul
Give it a whirl & give us a whoot on how it turns out!
Ended up trying a new 12 speed XTR chain instead and it works great on my 11S DA drivechain. Drivechain noise is MUCH reduced compared to the 11S DA chain I was using and shifting performance seems unchanged. The 11S DA chain was noisy AF in bib-big but now I can crosschain in big-big in almost silent bliss (not that I make a habit of doing that though). Night and day difference.
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 07-12-21, 09:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I am glad it worked out....ymmv but overall I find shimano a ton quieter than SRAM....at least the hubs and have never had chain noise with my 11 speed....I do use the ultegra level chain. (105 5800 11 speed and 6800 ultegra hubs)

Old 08-10-22, 11:10 PM
EonweElessar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ended up trying a new 12 speed XTR chain instead and it works great on my 11S DA drivechain. Drivechain noise is MUCH reduced compared to the 11S DA chain I was using and shifting performance seems unchanged. The 11S DA chain was noisy AF in bib-big but now I can crosschain in big-big in almost silent bliss (not that I make a habit of doing that though). Night and day difference.
Hi, I just installed an XX1 chain onto my 9100 Drive train and it works like a dream. Hardly ANY noise. Of course some to be expected but a much needed improvement over the shimano chain. Shifting the front gears works flawlessly too.
Thanks for investigating this!
Likes For EonweElessar:
Old 08-11-22, 03:54 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by EonweElessar
Hi, I just installed an XX1 chain onto my 9100 Drive train and it works like a dream. Hardly ANY noise. Of course some to be expected but a much needed improvement over the shimano chain. Shifting the front gears works flawlessly too.
Thanks for investigating this!
The concern I was prompted with when using a 12sp chain with a 11sp drivetrain was delayed shifting. IDK if it's a thing, but I've not noticed any lazy shifting. I've really been wanting to get my hands on a low cost or free (not worn out) shimano 12 cassette to play around with to see how it might act using a 9sp chain & MTB 8sp cog spacers fitted with a 8sp HG setup. I have a lot of other things keeping me occupied, so it might be a retirement project. lol