Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does this tire need to be replaced?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 08:09 AM
njlonghorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Hi all.

My front tire has small bits of wire showing through the rubber in two places, as well as some stray threads hanging off along the bead. Does the tire need to be replaced? I'm a recreational rider who doesn't really care about performance -- just safety. That said, I do weigh in at 220 lb (100kg), so the tire does have to work harder than some others might.

The tire is a Bontrager H2, 700 x 28, if that matters. (Actually, it's a Bontrager H2, 700 x 28 whether that matters or not -- but I digress.)

Old 06-16-21, 08:21 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
That looks a little suspect to me. I'd replace it. The threads on the sidewall look damaged just enough to make me worry that it might start coming apart in the middle of a ride and being a high pressure tire the risk is higher. If it were a bike that I used to ride a mile to the store and back I'd put it on the rear and check it often. What's going on it the second photo? Sort of looks like some duct tape was on there and left some adhesive residue. There is still enough rubber on that spot to cover the casing so no threads should be showing. Other than the white spot I can't figure out what the issue is.
Old 06-16-21, 08:27 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
THe first picture looks like damaged sidewall threads in the casing. Replace.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-16-21, 08:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do you feel anything while you ride? If not, ride on.

I've flatted plenty of times at 20 mph or better speeds and it's never been a big deal. The bike gets a little squirrely, but how long does it take you to come to a stop? If you can't noticed that and persist in riding, then that would be a problem, especially on twisty roads and trails. But even then, you would notice if you couldn't take a turn like you expected, then you'd stop and investigate if you had a flat, loose wheel or something wouldn't you?

If you are the type that ignores those clues, then change it.

If this is a brand new tire, then maybe check with the place you got it from. Sometimes even if it's nothing, they'll replace it just for the good customer perceptions it creates.

Do you check your tire pressure frequently? If you go most of a week with out checking, I'd think you negligent with your safety.

On the extreme side, if a way oversized tube was stuffed in there, that will make bumps and bulges too. But I don't think that's the issue with yours.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-16-21, 08:37 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
My opinion is unless you have no alternative but to continue to ride on this tire, replace it. It's not worth an unexpected blowout that may or may not result in a bad outcome.
Old 06-16-21, 08:46 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Another question is why is it wearing in that spot like that? Might be that the rubber was thinner there and it just wore through sooner which happens and is no big deal. Sometimes that happens from under inflated tires though usually all the way around, something to be aware of and keep the pressure at a better level for a smoother, faster ride; this doesn't mean max inflation pressure but just higher then you are.
There's also the possibility that you're wheel isn't perfectly round (common) and the tire rubs against the brake pad at that point, probably when stopping, just hang the bike on a branch by the seat or flip it upside down, whatever helps you see what's happening. Squeeze the brake lightly enough that the pads can touch the rim but not stop you from turning it by hand and turn the wheel to that point and see if the pads touch the tire. If so, have the shop fix the problem which may involve making the wheel rounder, moving the brake pad or both depending on which is the bigger problem.
Old 06-16-21, 12:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
If you leave that tire on, it might go another 2-3 years without any problem. OTOH, I agree with Clyde that it looks like the bead may be separating. If so, you'll probably be surprised when it yields and blows out, tomorrow or next month. I'd grit my teeth and replace it ASAP.
Old 06-16-21, 12:57 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I have had tires with damage like that on my tandem. This was years ago and I found tires that took the abuse without that happening. I have used Schwalbe tires exclusively for some time and they seldom have flats and no damage of any kind has occurred.
Old 06-16-21, 03:45 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I would replace them. If the sidewalls fail, a blowout will happen and it would pose a dangerous condition. In general, I tend to be on the cautious side of life, but better safe than sorry. I don't have anything against Bontrager components and gear (I ride a Trek and do buy Bontrager items) but if those are the original tires, some say the stock tires are solely used to keep the rims clean during shipping. I've only had one set of Bontrager tires (the ones that came with the bike) and I wasn't impressed by them. IMHO, there are plenty of high quality tires out there, better than Bontrager.
Old 06-16-21, 04:00 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I've only had one set of Bontrager tires (the ones that came with the bike) and I wasn't impressed by them. IMHO, there are plenty of high quality tires out there, better than Bontrager.
Manufactures of motorcycles order name brand tires that have low mileage tread on them for their new motorcycles.
Old 06-16-21, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Yeah that tire is well past replacement. Generally if you are asking the question, you probably shouldn't ride on the tire. You are already concerned enough that even if not as damaged as that tire is I wouldn't want to ride it.
Old 06-17-21, 01:31 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
To those who say that tire is rideable as-is: my younger, more risk-tolerant self might have agreed, but after having suffered catastrophic blowouts on rides on tires that show similar bulging, I would advise to get new tires as soon as practicable. Sure you may get some more miles out of it but from the pictures that tire looks to be actually damaged, not just worn out, and it's at risk for a sudden sidewall blowout, especially at high psi and rider weight.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 06-17-21, 06:39 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Given the visible bulge and apparent fraying of the tire casing, and given this is the front tire, I'd absolutely replace that. It probably wouldn't be a big risk just poking around the neighborhood with the kids, but a failure of that sidewall casing at even moderate speed will put you in a risky situation that is very avoidable (by replacing the tire). You probably don't feel the bump when you ride. But every time that area comes around, you're compressing it with the weight of you and the bike which stresses and flexes and works that sidewall that's already ragged. The threads showing at the bead area in your second picture wouldn't be concerning to me, but that compromised sidewall certainly would be.

Edit: even if the front tire did blow out and you were able to maintain control of the bike, you'd still likely have some collateral damage. For example, you might be riding on the rim a little bit before you get the bike stopped, which would likely damage it. Keeping the tire on the bike could end up costing more money than replacing it.
Old 06-17-21, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I would
Old 06-17-21, 06:10 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
THe first picture looks like damaged sidewall threads in the casing. Replace.
Could the brake shoe on that side have been way out of whack? That wear looks like what I'd expect if it got off the rim and up onto the sidewall.
Old 06-18-21, 12:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
#1... Check your Brake Pad Alignment. It appears as if the brake pads are rubbing on the tire.

#2... Replace the tire. The way the shape has distorted around the worn spot, the tire is shot.

#3... Check if the wheel is true.

Ok, not necessarily all in that order.
Old 06-18-21, 08:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Seems to be a consensus that the tire is fornicated and needs replacement

Also mentioned above and worth repeating, figure out what caused the damage before you put a new tire on or the same thing may happen again.

Likely suspects: Misaligned brake pad hitting the tire, possibly aggravated by a dented or out-of-true wheel; riding with too low pressure which causes the tire to flex and move too much against the sidewall of the rim, or possibly getting pinched between the rim and the ground.

I have seen tires with similar damage when a rider got a puncture and stopped riding, but walked the bike home over some distance - even the weight of the bike without rider could be enough to damage the tire in such a scenario.

Also possible that the tire hit some obstacle at an oblique angle to cause such damage, or that the tire was old and weakened from regular use and sunlight and the casing failed organically.
Old 06-21-21, 09:23 AM
njlonghorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
My plan was to replace the tire unless the overwhelming consensus here was that replacing it was unnecessary. That clearly wasn't the case, so I'm riding on new rubber now.

The brake was lined up correctly, but it does seem likely that that was the cause of the tire wear. Perhaps it was lined up poorly at some point in the past.

Thanks for all of your responses.