Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Old 12-27-10, 12:59 AM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great idea!

I may have a Ciocc Designer in a small size (51cm), but my friend is trying it out. If it doesn't get sold, I'll toss it up here too
Old 12-27-10, 08:13 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Somehow this needs to be organized. I have no idea how, but some sort of spreadsheet with the frames sorted by size?

I need to measure, but I have several frames worth trading.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-27-10, 08:22 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Somehow this needs to be organized. I have no idea how, but some sort of spreadsheet with the frames sorted by size?

I need to measure, but I have several frames worth trading.
Agreed. Maybe we should think of this thread as a trial balloon, to see how much interest there is. I'd say, at this point, interest is good. But a lot of the above posts --maybe including my own-- share too much information. If you want to trade a 23" frame for a 25", this is your thread. If you want to trade a Raleigh International for another Raleigh International and nothing else will do, then maybe this isn't for you. I'd like to trade my Japanese Bianchi for a 1947 Claud Butler in 24" frame, but I know that's unrealistic. I'd gladly trade it for any road bike frame in 24" with horizontal dropouts.

I like the idea of a spreadsheet, but don't have the savvy for that. Volunteers?
Old 12-27-10, 10:58 AM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We could do a google document. What information do we need on it? Effective TT and ST meaurements, maybe description to give a rough idea of worth (frame materials, condition, and such), and then an ISO description?
Old 12-27-10, 11:17 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Originally Posted by dashuaigeh
We could do a google document. What information do we need on it? Effective TT and ST meaurements, maybe description to give a rough idea of worth (frame materials, condition, and such), and then an ISO description?
I suggest four grades of frame:
A = full / butted molybdenum-alloy steel --don't bother saying whether 531, Columbus, Tange, or what.
B = partial / straight gauge molybdenum-alloy steel -- again, don't bother with the details.
C = hi tensile steel.
D = anything other than steel.

I suggest three grades of paint:
A = excellent and original
B = okay (does not need repaint)
C = terrible (needs repaint)

If you're getting rid of a frame that requires unusual parts, non-English BB and headset, unusual sized FD or whatever, I suggest you include it if you can.

Other information required: dropouts, eyelets, other brazed on fittings. Damage should be clearly stated.

What else, guys? As I said before, this thread is probably just a trial balloon. What rules would you like to see? Under what terms would you, or would you not, play this game?
Old 12-27-10, 12:19 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
-- traded to frogbutter --

these are all way too nice! *somebody* has to have some big ol' beat up frame that is on par with my Botteccia...

edit: Frame C (but chrome lugs on the fork) / Paint B-ish

italian bb / 120mm rear spacing

ST 56 CTT 54 CTC
TT 54 CTT

Last edited by Standalone; 01-20-11 at 08:24 AM. Reason: sizing
Old 12-27-10, 12:38 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
I have a NOS Schwinn Super Sport LE road bike frame, size "L", which I would guess is like a 59-60cm. Slightly sloped top tube, replaceable der hanger (I have the correct one) never built up. Never been able to find anything out about this frame (including from Schwinn and the shop that sold it to me) other than it was from a line of frames they sold several years ago only to LBS, not to dept. stores. Headbadge and seat tube badge, made in China, aluminum, and now you know as much as I do. Cable stops at the upper end of the DT, 130 spacing. Black and silver and in storage, so no pics immediately at hand. Have an (also new) SE fork to go along with it, fork is root beer colored but the threadless stem is long enough to work with the frame, which requires an integrated headset. I suspect this would make a pretty nice bike once built up but would require STI's or thumbies or bar ends.

Also have a 1990 Cannondale M400, red, with the correct fork. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Needs a respray/powder coat but appears dent free and straight. Would make a nice tourer or use it for a 'cross bike. It's a shortie- with 700C wheels it would build up to about 54cm. Takes V-brakes or cantilevers or whatever else fits on those stubs that are welded/brazed to the seat stays and front fork. 130mm spacing. Also in storage but can dig it out and post pics for anyone who might be interested.

Bought both of these when I was feeling pretty frisky and experimental, but have since realized I'm strictly a DT shifter/road bike/caliper brake kinda guy. Will trade one (or preferably both) for any reasonable frame 58cm or smaller in dent-free condition.
This is getting too much like work. SOMEBODY has to both a) want these frames, and 2) have something to swap for them. Anything as long as it's not made for Some Giant Person. Seems like everyone who wants to buy a bike from me these days is the size of eeekamouse.

Heck, to sweeten the deal I'll throw in a full Suntour Alpha3000 setup (FD/RD/DT Shifters/Freewheel) with the Cannondale frame. Indexed, solid and kinda sporty looking.

Otherwise both frames will wind up going to the local Bike Co-Op & I'll just take the tax deduction.

Last edited by rccardr; 12-27-10 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-27-10, 02:47 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'll play...I think I have some frames that are too big for me, was going to try to flip these or solicit trades on CL.
They are nothing exotic. Just some specific era frames good to someone tall or needs large flippers.

First one: '79 Ross Pro Grand Tour. 62cm. Posted initially in the 'saved' thread.
I'll take a similar spec road frame in my size (55-57cm c-t). It's for a SS/fixie project. Can take 27" or 700C wheels as I have both as spares.

Second: '95 Cannondale M300 LE MTB in black. Large 22" rigid hardtail. 1" threaded unicrown Spinner fork. Small dent underneath rear monostay, hard to see actually. It's paint is fair. Series 3.8, made in the USA. I was going to make it a drop bar tourer/utility project, but it's awfully high for my 30" inseam.
I will trade for a similar aged or older, smaller Cannondale mtb or road frame.

Third: '80 Ross Diamond Cruiser frameset, in gray/blue. Large frame. Kinda like a city MTB than outright cruiser. Comes with headset, bull moose SR stem and seatpost. Fair condition. Will trade for a more traditional cruiser style frameset.
Old 12-27-10, 03:12 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
19" 1992 Trek 1200. A little small for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 1808..jpg (94.4 KB, 4493 views)
Old 12-27-10, 03:13 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
I have this repainted (Dr. Deltron) 1984 Trek 760 frame that I would be happy to see go somewhere it would get more use. It's 54cm ctc in the seat tube, 53cm ctc in the top tube. Lugged 531P Reynolds tubing. The paint is rich purple and in outstanding condition, fork ends are chrome. The frame was pretty much a top-of-the-line crit geometry frame when it was made. My Bob Jackson, and Raleigh Team Pro make this effectively redundant in my stable. Would be willing to include the current (I believe original) Stronglight, A-9 needle bearing headset for the right exchange.

I'd be looking for something with at least butted tubing, in 55 - 58 cm size range. Would prefer sport touring, or touring geometry. Willing to consider older frame that's sound, and not in great finish, so don't be shy about proposing a trade.

Old 12-27-10, 03:25 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12634 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Another MTB submission.

15" 1988 Giant Iguana. This thing is really tiny, super short front/center. I have toe overlap with my dainty size 8 shoes. More pics available by clicking on the pic, then clicking on the "Older" button.

1988 Giant Iguana by Lester Of Puppets, on Flickr
Old 12-27-10, 04:32 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I'd gladly trade it for any road bike frame in 24" with horizontal dropouts.
So, in keeping with the BOC theme, this is more about: here's my crappy frame in the wrong size which I'll gladly trade for your crappy frame in my size? And I'm willing to pay $50 for the transaction.

On the subject of order, do bicycle swap meets hand out spreadsheets to shoppers? I would thinking digging through the thread is appropriate when trading crappy frames.

Personally, I have a few frames to offer, but none I'd consider crappy. Unfortunately, my interest is very narrow, so I'll keep my eye on the thread.
Old 12-27-10, 04:45 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Doesn't seem to be for crappy frames, just frames that don't work for you. Personally, I like to see the details of the frames up for trade.
Old 12-27-10, 04:50 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
So, in keeping with the BOC theme, this is more about: here's my crappy frame in the wrong size which I'll gladly trade for your crappy frame in my size? And I'm willing to pay $50 for the transaction...
I think you read something into this that wasn't there.
Old 12-27-10, 04:52 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I think it's because the idea was originally conceived in the BOC thread...understandable.
Old 12-27-10, 05:02 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
That could be the case. I didn't intend to suggest the frames listed in this thread are crappy, I'm just curious about RHM's original intent. My original post was inartfully executed.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong with crappy frames.
Old 12-27-10, 05:21 PM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wouldn't think it would work very well unless local. Shipping is a PITA-(maybe not for just a frameset) but for bikes already together. I like the swap idea-just right for giant peeps swapping with wee peeps. Guess I'll see what evolves.
Old 12-27-10, 05:23 PM
juls
over the hill

Bikes: 72 maino-76 austro daimler inter 10-? giant kronos

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Post script- I'm a wee person
Old 12-27-10, 06:23 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Shipping a frame is $25-$40, depending on size and location.
Old 12-27-10, 06:43 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by brockd15
I think it's because the idea was originally conceived in the BOC thread...understandable.
I agree. Completely understandable to skim to that conclusion.

JYB - I definitely understand. Wasn't trying to do a gotcha, but I'd prefer to see this not limited in that way - unless rhm makes that clarification.
Old 12-27-10, 07:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
So, in keeping with the BOC theme, this is more about: here's my crappy frame in the wrong size which I'll gladly trade for your crappy frame in my size? And I'm willing to pay $50 for the transaction.
Well, speaking for myself alone... yes, that sounds about right. That is, I'm willing to pay shipping my frame to you. JYB, we ride the same frame size which pretty much excludes us from doing this kind of business together, except that we have pretty radically different taste in bikes, so maybe there's hope after all, but then again I pretty much only have crappy ones and you pretty much only have nice ones, so... uh, never mind.

My hope with this thread is that we consider passing our useless goods ("crap") on without worrying too much about what we get in return, so long as it fits. The frame I have is, for my purposes useless ("crap") because it's too (a) small (b) racy and (c) modern. Something in my size would be far more useful. If it's still crap, at least it would be crap in my size. It's not a terrible frame. It's really quite nice, it's just useless to me.

I'm not a gambler, and I recommend anyone playing this game understand what they're getting. But inasmuchas the BOCPAG was gambling, and the secret Santa game was gambling, this too is gambling. You put something in, and you get something out. No one promises that what you get out is more valuable than what you put in.

Anyway, I started this thread, and will follow it, but I'm not making up the rules. I'm merely suggesting rules I'd like. Make your own rules, arrange your own trades, and make someone happy. If anyone's happy, I'll be happy.

And if I get a 60 cm Claud Butler (or Holdsworth, Carlton, Hetchins, Norman, &c), I'll be especially happy!

Edit...
Yes, John, you have it right. This isn't to be limited in any way. It's a free-for-all! Anyone who wants to organize it, categorize it, and make it work, please! Be my guest!
Old 12-27-10, 08:26 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
I have several I would be willing to trade for something comparable 53-54cm.

60cm Peugeot UO8
58cm Peugeot PR10....complete bike has not been cleaned up
64cm Ross Ish 024
64cm Miyata 210.....lots of scratches
58cm Trek 600 Series......has few small areas w/paint bubbling

Old 12-27-10, 10:01 PM
dashuaigeh
grad stud.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
My hope with this thread is that we consider passing our useless goods ("crap") on without worrying too much about what we get in return, so long as it fits. The frame I have is, for my purposes useless ("crap") because it's too (a) small (b) racy and (c) modern. Something in my size would be far more useful. If it's still crap, at least it would be crap in my size. It's not a terrible frame. It's really quite nice, it's just useless to me.

I'm not a gambler, and I recommend anyone playing this game understand what they're getting. But inasmuchas the BOCPAG was gambling, and the secret Santa game was gambling, this too is gambling. You put something in, and you get something out. No one promises that what you get out is more valuable than what you put in.

Anyway, I started this thread, and will follow it, but I'm not making up the rules. I'm merely suggesting rules I'd like. Make your own rules, arrange your own trades, and make someone happy. If anyone's happy, I'll be happy.
I think we might all have different versions of the game that we expect. On one end the game basically just becomes "ISO/FT for frames that don't fit". I'd prefer more of what you're saying - a game to get a frame you can use. Toss a frame you have that doesn't fit you, and get one that does that's roughly the same value.

I'd offer more ideas for rules, but I don't really have that many extra frames
Old 12-27-10, 10:33 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
Off hand, these are the ones I can remember:

1984 Takara professional, 64cm
1984ish Univega Viva Sport, 68 cm, repaired a slightly bent seat stay
1984ish Lotus Elite (touring), 47 or 48 cm, slight bend in left rear seat stay near bottom
1984ish Centurion LeMans, silver, decals removed, 54-55cm
1987 or so Novara Triforma or something like that, 56cm Tange No.1 lugged frame, nice.
1988 Bianchi Sport SX frame (in black), 58 cm, may be a 59
1972+/- Atala 101 Professional 58-59cm
1992 or so Trek 710 or so hybrid frame (700C MTB commuter), 18-19 inches I think.
Late 1980's Bianchi MTB (Axis or something), 18-19 inches
1985 Trek 830 21-22 inch MTB frame
2002 Jamis Ventura, 62 cm

A pile of others. What are you looking for.

Last edited by balindamood; 02-20-11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 12:43 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
I have several I would be willing to trade for something comparable 53-54cm.

60cm Peugeot UO8
58cm Peugeot PR10....complete bike has not been cleaned up
64cm Ross Ish 024
64cm Miyata 210.....lots of scratches
58cm Trek 600 Series......has few small areas w/paint bubbling
I'd love to nab that Trek. Unfortunately, I don't have much to trade for it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.