Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

One bike vs multiple bikes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

One bike vs multiple bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 09:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
You sure have a lot of bikes.

Which is the topic of discussion; one vs multiple.
Old 01-05-17, 10:13 AM
gsk3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've alternated between one and two. Road bike for good weather (used to be a Jamis actual road bike, now a Torker U3 three-speed with fenders and a full chainguard). Mountain bike for bad weather (just got a winter beater when I realized even the Nokian A10's probably wouldn't fit inside the fenders on my Torker). Two is the right number for me.
Old 01-05-17, 07:01 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel

Next question?
Pfff! That's not golf.
Old 01-06-17, 08:37 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Sure, you could get by with just one bike, but where's the fun in that? This is, after all, a hobby for many of us here, as well as a mode of transportation. You wouldn't dream of playing a golf course with a single club, would you?
I play golf with zero clubs

Old 01-06-17, 08:41 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
At our primary residence I've a couple of track bikes, one now a road fixie, a mtn, three or so road (one new cf and some older), and a city bike.

I could be quite happy with just my Workcycles Opafiets city bike. That's the bike that gets the most use since it's my daily transportation and to to @tjspiel comment, it's the one that brings me the most joy. Allowed two bikes my Scott Addict CF road would be second.
Old 01-06-17, 10:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
My wife and I also keep a bike for each of us at her mother's place in Florida for the once a year we visit. Mine is an old English 3-speed. My wife's is some boring upright hybrid which is fine for that area.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-06-17, 10:36 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I play golf with zero clubs
Yeah, but how many discs?
Old 01-06-17, 11:53 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
So glad I chose cycling over golf. Chasing a little white ball is the opposite of fun. At least the mini golf looks interesting.
Old 01-06-17, 12:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Golf is pleasant enough. I play a couple of rounds a year, usually with my mom. I plan to take it up more regularly when I get to old to do anything strenuous.
Old 01-06-17, 02:16 PM
Andy_K 

The key to enjoying golf is not caring that you're bad at it. Once you want to do well it becomes a bitter, bitter game. I've never cared that I'm bad at it, so I enjoy playing once in a while.
Old 01-06-17, 02:29 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Yeah, but how many discs?
Golf clubs have a much wider range of capabilities than golf discs. There was a time when I would show up at the disc golf course at dawn on my way to work (so there would be nobody in my way), and played "speed golf", running the course and having a final score of total time plus 10sec/stroke. For that I would carry one or two discs. The One would be a Roc. If I brought a second it would be a floppy, rubbery putter.
Old 01-06-17, 02:31 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by alan s
So glad I chose cycling over golf. Chasing a little white ball is the opposite of fun. At least the mini golf looks interesting.
Golf is also the opposite of cheap...

Mark Twain correctly called [ball] golf "a good walk spoiled". (Although I always thought it was PG Wodehouse. Now I know...)
Old 01-06-17, 02:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
That actually looks like a really good mini golf course.

I recall when I used to shoot pool, people had a nice cue for tournaments, a bar league cue, a cue for breaking, a cue for masse... the disease afflicts many
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-06-17, 03:01 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Golf clubs have a much wider range of capabilities than golf discs. There was a time when I would show up at the disc golf course at dawn on my way to work (so there would be nobody in my way), and played "speed golf", running the course and having a final score of total time plus 10sec/stroke. For that I would carry one or two discs. The One would be a Roc. If I brought a second it would be a floppy, rubbery putter.
I've got a friend who is really into disc golf. I don't know how many disc he actually takes with him on a given day, but I know he owns a dozen or so different ones.
Old 01-06-17, 04:21 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've got a friend who is really into disc golf. I don't know how many disc he actually takes with him on a given day, but I know he owns a dozen or so different ones.
There's a disc golf course next to one of the bike paths I ride on and some of the players have bags that look like gym bags for all their discs.
Old 01-06-17, 05:38 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Well yeah, I have a bag too, and probably a dozen discs, all I'm saying is it's just as doable to live with one (or two) golf discs as it can be to live with one (or two) bikes.

Cars are $1-100K each, and take a lot of space to store. Most american families get by with one or two.

Bikes are $0-10K each, and take much less storage space, so it's not uncommon for cyclists to accumulate a bunch, but it's quite possible to get by with one or two. For cyclists with many bikes, usually one bike gets most of the riding.

Golf discs are only about $8-20 each, and have miniscule storage requirements. Most disc golfers own 10-20, but it's quite possible to get by with one or two. For disc golfers with many discs, 10% get 90% of the use, and vice versa.
Old 01-17-17, 08:16 PM
SorrySayAgain

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got one bike, that's used as my main form of transport.

I'm very happy with it, but with that being said, I'm currently saving up for an ebike for long rides. I've got physical limitations so it's a more practical investment for me long-term.
Old 01-21-17, 08:24 PM
mikescooling

Bikes: Trek 520 and a Schwinn MTN bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a nice touring bike, that's all tricked out. And I have a city bike that is a beater but works great. I couldn't take my nice bike to the city and expect it to be there when I got back. But yes, I know how easy it is to horde possessions especially when you live in a small space. I'd like to be down to one bike at some point.
Old 01-21-17, 09:06 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Sadly, due to this forum, I've gone from one bike for my whole life to 5 for personal use at present(and a few more to build and sell). Too addicting.
Old 01-22-17, 06:12 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I've enjoyed reading all the posts. Right now I have one bike. I live in the sticks and have a variety of road conditions including a pretty long gravel drive way. This is what peaked my interest in the Sutra, a kind of do anything go anywhere product. However, the little folding bikes are interesting and I would not rule one out going forward.
Old 01-22-17, 09:57 AM
number1bike

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity 1975, Mongoose Threshold 1995

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use my bike(s) for enjoyment and commuting year round. I find that four or more is optimum. Two bikes are for winter riding where one bike is the primary and the second is used as a backup for me or two high-school age young adults. I have two bikes for spring/summer/fall riding. Again one primary and the second as a backup.

After winter, the primary usually needs $50 - $100 in parts to make it ready for another winter. When I was using the nicer summer bikes in winter I was sinking in $250 in parts after winter. So I justify the extra bikes as a cost savings.

My problem is not so much N+1 but instead the 'gas' problem where the number of bikes expands to the available space.
Old 01-22-17, 01:10 PM
Vitix2

Bikes: Ridley Damocles & Excaliber; Pegoretti Marcelo; Merckx SXM; Olmo Gara Pista; Black Mountain Cycles Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough Question

As a sportive rider, what gets factored into the consideration for me is the number of years that I've been riding. I started riding in the era of seven speeds, and the seven and 8 speed stuff is all gone. But, at some point I just simply stopped selling or getting rid of bikes that I have ridden in the past. So, I've got a collection. It got to a point that my connection to bikes that I had toiled on and over became more of a factor than the few hundred dollars that I was going to get from selling them.

My old 9 speed roadie is what I ride on the trainer/rollers. My 10 speed roadie is what I use on rainy and post snow days (admittedly, it has been quite a while since I set out for a ride in the rain or on snow covered streets). It is basically my winter bike.

One of my 11 speed roadies has a truckload of miles on it that I accumulated over 5 seasons. The other 11 speed is just an upgraded newer bike. Then there is the track bike that is a hold over from my racing days; a mountain bike from my days racing those (now, since I don't get out on singletrack, it is basically a fun bike that I use a few times a year for rides on converted railroads or jaunts around the neighborhood)

I have sold bikes that I've owned that did not work for me for one reason or another (too big, to flexible, etc.). And, yes, I probably could use my 10 speed for indoor training and also a winter beater; or, ditch the mountain bike and fix, but why? I already own them and use them to varying degrees. Moreover, I could not fetch much for them if I wanted to sell em. Plus, we've got a history together.

Additionally, at some point in my cycling life I started working on my own bikes and rather than looking at them as bikes, they became frames, wheels, and components. That made a huge difference because it ushered in an era of some parts being kept and others vanquished, and a frame with an extra set of wheels turned into a component purchase rather than a frame sale.

So one bike for me is out of the question. That said, I can see the benefits of one or fewer bikes and would not be able to logically argue that I need all of the bikes that I've accumulated. However, until it gets to the point that I'm out of storage space or am in need of a few extra hundred dollars, I'm good! I would also add, that when I was in my 20s and 30's I really could not afford a new bike until I sold my old bike and I was riding bikes until they were absolutely trashed. Now I'm in my early fifties and life is different.
Old 01-22-17, 06:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
N is good until (N) = -Working. N+1 is not always a remedy if you use all of your bikes.

However N(1) + N(others) = N(OHYES)
Old 01-22-17, 06:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
New math has it's good points.
Old 01-22-17, 07:33 PM
IdahoTrollGuy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like many I have several bikes. However, for your goal it is possible to have one bike with a couple different wheel sets. Say, one wheelset with knobbies, and one with smooth roadies. Quickly convert one bike into two, with a quick change of wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.