Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long is the life on your bib shorts!?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-08-17, 04:28 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I wear castelli's bibshorts ($120 a pair) for the past few years, and have been getting about 12k Kms or a season and a bit outta them before I find the chamois is to broken down or they start to wear through on the backend. I do wash them with my other clothes on normal cycle but don't put them in the dryer and don't baby them to much..This got my thinking if this was adverage, good or bad for lifespan. How long do yours usually last!?
Old 02-08-17, 04:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I buy the cheapest Pearl Izumi bibs I can get, the Quest Bib Shorts. I had only two pair for about 18 months, and both are quite worn on the fronts of the thighs (sun damage?) but the chamois and the rest of the shorts are in great shape. I'd say ~14,000 miles split between the two.

I have 4 pairs now, and because I'm cheap to the core, If I'm going out for like 20-25 miles, I'll still wear the old ones. They ain't dead until they're dead.
Old 02-08-17, 05:29 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Castelli's bibs aren't known for their durability.

I ride 12,000 miles per year and do bike laundry once a week. I get about 3 years out of my shorts. They start out as my preferred shorts, then about a year in I'll mainly use them on short rides. By the 3rd year they're probably relegated to winter use because of the buttcrack window.

I've never actually had a chamois go bad on me. It's always the rear wearing through.
Old 02-08-17, 05:40 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I can't image trying to get by on one pair.
Old 02-08-17, 06:01 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I think mine break down more from washing than wearing. I should probably switch to hand wash, but that's a huge PITA, so I machine wash gentle and hang dry everything. Hard to say how long they last, I've had some last for several years (some may be 10 years old or more, but those are on trainer duty only now). It's more about number of washings IMO, but again, super hard to say because I have so many pairs I may go a month or more before wearing the same pair again.

Basically I didn't answer your question...
Old 02-08-17, 06:32 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Performance Ultra bibs and they last 2-3 years, more or less. I wash with my normal laundry. I have 3 bib shorts and 3 mountain bike shorts since I ride both (and cx). I usually buy one pair of each, each year and cycle out the worst one.
Old 02-08-17, 07:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
I buy 1 pair/year and toss the crummiest pair. I have about 8 pair in my drawer. They're all different because manufacturers change or bring out models at least once/year. It's nice to change the nip on one's butt and try different ones. Over the years, one develops a sense of what's going to work well and which manufacturer's products are more durable. PI Elite and above and high-end Voler have been more durable.
Old 02-08-17, 08:06 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Marginally early failure of even expensive shorts is a small price to pay for the convenience of machine washing and drying your cycling shorts. And that is assuming you do see early failure. I don't even think twice about it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-08-17, 08:10 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopefish905
It depends.
Old 02-08-17, 08:14 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
It depends.
Wait, you wear Depends when you ride? Ya know, that might not be an bad idea.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 02-08-17 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 08:21 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've only been riding a few years, but I've found my oldest shorts have relaxed a bit and stretch/give more easily than I'd like. Lycra does that if you wash it a lot. Not directly a matter of miles or time.
Old 02-08-17, 08:24 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've got a couple pairs of Performance Ultra bibs that I use for commuting, the chamois have definitely seen better days. I'd say 75-100 trips through the washer.

All my dhb stuff is holding together nicely, although it's mostly about a year old, so 40ish washings on the oldest two pairs, 20-30 on the rest
Old 02-08-17, 08:26 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
For most I got between 65-85 wearings from a pair of shorts before they started coming apart. I usually bought low-end or mid-range from Wiggle's house brand dhb. My kits were usually between $80-$125, shorts price usually $40-$80. Average wearing would be 2 hours/30 miles. But sometimes as short as 30 minutes or as long as 9 hours.

My only really nice pair of shorts from Voler lasted about 150 wearings. I really liked them but I've since abandoned wearing cycling kit and just ride in wool shorts and a t-shirt. Saving money and lookin' fredly
Old 02-09-17, 06:06 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
I have a couple of pairs of Castelli bibs and they're on season 3 right now. I think they have held up well considering being worn once a week. Machine wash with other sport clothes, hang to dry. Chamois still looking and feeling good and now real wear on the fabrics.
Old 02-09-17, 10:04 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have around 30 or so kits that I've accumulated over the years, as most get older I just turn them into trainer-only kits. That said, I think the worst bibs that I've acquired would have to be the nashbar ones I bought when I first started riding, they were only $20, so I wasn't expecting much. My other least favorite pair would be from Champion Systems, which were even their higher quality variety.

Favorites would be from Rapha, Black Sheep, and Casp.

And the best budget friendly, yet comfortable and durable, would be from Heavy Pedal. I have kits from them that still look great after 2-3 years of wear, and they cost me less than $150 for the entire kit.

Old 02-09-17, 10:35 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopefish905
I wear castelli's bibshorts ($120 a pair) for the past few years, and have been getting about 12k Kms or a season and a bit outta them before I find the chamois is to broken down or they start to wear through on the backend. I do wash them with my other clothes on normal cycle but don't put them in the dryer and don't baby them to much..This got my thinking if this was adverage, good or bad for lifespan. How long do yours usually last!?
well, I have no idea as I wear several and they last for ever but for me it is when my rider buddy at some time in the ride goes Hey Dude you need to buy new shorts as I can see your arse in that Big Hole ....
Old 02-09-17, 10:50 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I can't image trying to get by on one pair.
Amen to that. If you do any activity multiple times a week, get a backup pair, or two.

I am with others in buying one or two pair of shorts or bibs per year, and working them into the rotation. Older pairs are relegated to winter cycling under tights or spinning classes.
Old 02-09-17, 11:02 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although the relaxing aspect is most noticeable to me as a sign of age, I just remembered a couple of pair where the seat quickly showed signs of wear. They have a sort of micro pattern that was sort rubbed out after a couple of long rides on a saddle that has a slight texture.
Old 02-09-17, 11:08 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Amen to that. If you do any activity multiple times a week, get a backup pair, or two.

I am with others in buying one or two pair of shorts or bibs per year, and working them into the rotation. Older pairs are relegated to winter cycling under tights or spinning classes.
Same. I get two pair of bibs each year and try to save those for races and team rides. Last season or two get worn for training/commuting; really old ones are relegated to trainer and under tights.
Old 02-09-17, 02:24 PM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a pair of Performance bibs that I've had for years, probably 7 or 8. They're about ready to be tossed now though. I've found that by rinsing them after riding and line drying them inside out in the sun until they are just dry and only machine washing them after about every 5 rides really prolongs the life. Salt in your sweat really eats away at them so rinsing right away gets rid of that and the line-drying in the sun provides disinfection.
Old 02-09-17, 02:32 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I have a pair of bibs that are

... THIRTY YEARS OLD ...

Hind is the brand, first pair I ever bought. Legs are kind of short compared to today's.

The chamois is worthless, but I only wear them under my winter tights anyway... that also avoids any embarassing thin spots.

Stitching is holding on by a thread.
Old 02-09-17, 03:40 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Marginally early failure of even expensive shorts is a small price to pay for the convenience of machine washing and drying your cycling shorts. And that is assuming you do see early failure. I don't even think twice about it.
Dryer too? I don't think twice about machine washing, but I always hang dry.
Old 02-09-17, 06:33 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfmarotti
Dryer too? I don't think twice about machine washing, but I always hang dry.
Same here. Hand wash vs machine wash gentle cycle usually not much difference, but hang vs tumble dry, a significant difference. And a waste of energy.
Old 09-01-18, 05:18 PM
evets11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are NOT Bib shorts

Alright, somewhat old thread and I'm committing SACRILEGE here by admitting this: but my COTTON .... YES COTTON cycling shorts last about 1 yr/3000 miles. I wear THE ONLY COTTON CYCLING SHORTS WITH A CHAMOIS PAD MADE!!! (That I'm aware of and my online research confirms). They're "Canari Core shorts" 90% cotton/10% spandex. No they aren't "Bib shorts". They fade to brown, the stiching around the chamois at the back of the shorts rips and the synthetic chamois flattens to 1/2 thickness to the point of being shot after about 1 yr/3000 miles. But they cost only $20 !!! Contrary to popular belief cotton is 'just fine' as a cycling clothing material. So what if it absorbs sweat!? As long as you're not riding in EXTREME HEAT/HUMIDITY you won't sweat enough to flood the shorts, and they don't 'retain body odor' (That's B.S.), maybe just the underarms of Tshirts, but that's if you wear them for days w/o washing them. MAN these shorts are COMFORTABLE and have enough spandex to hold their shape snugly enough but not TOO snug. I wear regular thin cotton Tshirts on under 30 mile rides where I don't need to carry food items in jersey pockets. I know I'm gonna get sneers from the 'Bike snobs' for admitting this but I don't care. I just LOVE the feel of cotton against my skin. Lycra/spandex just feels like I'm wearing plastic clothes. I never liked the feel. I PREFER Merino wool but its WAY TOO EXPENSIVE and I'm a tightwad$ so I wear cotton. So does Lon Haldeman, the famous RAAM winner. He PREFERS wearing regular cotton Tshirts riding his bike and I GUARANTEE he's a MUCH BETTER cyclist than you or I.
Old 09-01-18, 05:52 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
My cheap Chinese bib from Amazon that I bought in April 2017 still shows no sign of wear (with over 7,000 km of use) and is as comfortable as the black bib I bought last month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.