Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Post your recumbents (pictures)

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Post your recumbents (pictures)

Old 09-12-20, 06:48 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts

2003 Windcheetah Clubsport

It’s a fun trike and feels very quick compared to my Catrike. However, it can be a bit twitchy at high speeds and there’s not much room for storage which can get annoying if you want to take longer rides and/or stop somewhere.
Likes For skier:
Old 12-20-20, 10:32 AM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
Stratus

Typically, I build my own rides. But this time, I bought this one, went thru all the wear parts and added my own mesh back to the seat.
So, here is my Rans Stratus.

Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 12-27-20, 10:46 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by imabeliever1
One thing I never liked about older Stratii was the seat base, which was either level or slightly nose-down. It made riding it an exercise in pushing yourself back into the seat constantly. This one looks about perfect. Why did you have to make your own seat back? Was the old one worn? I had my sister sew up a new back for my V-Rex out of pet-proof screening material, using the old one as a pattern. It is over a decade old now and still looks brand-new.
Old 12-27-20, 09:36 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
The seat seems as if it will be very comfortable.
The original seatback mesh was torn in several areas and I feared it would fail when out and about.
I cut and pinned the new mesh . A local upholstery shop did the stitching for free. I’m looking forward to some longer rides in the spring.
Old 12-28-20, 06:06 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by skier

2003 Windcheetah Clubsport

It’s a fun trike and feels very quick compared to my Catrike. However, it can be a bit twitchy at high speeds and there’s not much room for storage which can get annoying if you want to take longer rides and/or stop somewhere.
I had #710 and really liked it. In fact, I liked it so much that I ordered a new Hypersport. Then, AVD went bankrupt.

Old 01-05-21, 06:20 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Nice looking bike, appears to be a good blend of speed and comfort. I have 2 recumbent SWB machines, they stow away very easy. I just purchased a trike (never had one), I see what you mean about the challenge of wrangling one thru the doors of the house.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 01-07-21, 08:52 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
My new Giro A20. This is my first bent so I don't have enough confidence or the right muscle fitness to ride it to work (or in the snow!) yet, so far only short rides around the neighborhood.
Likes For sam21fire:
Old 01-08-21, 04:27 PM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Nice Giro, you'll be riding confidently in no time (snow in So Cal?) we've only had a foot or so all year in my part of MI., if the sun is out I may take one of my bikes out tomorrow.
Old 01-10-21, 10:47 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
sam21fire, you'll be fine on your Giro before long. I bike-commuted on 3 different recumbent bikes the last 12 years before retirement. A suburban/urban/suburban route, generally Spring-Fall several days a week.

Forgot to post my new-in-September Giro A20 when I got it. About 1300 miles so far. Mine is also a 3x9 setup, as parts for the stock 2x11 drivetrain weren't available due to covid issues. (Price discounted as a result.)

Old 01-12-21, 08:35 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
LOL, I just realized I haven't changed my profile information... I live in Green Bay now so snow is is an issue sometimes.
Old 02-25-21, 06:54 PM
shelgame

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 46 Posts
Another year, another bike build. This one is FWD moving bottom bracket...

Likes For shelgame:
Old 03-01-21, 03:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I had #710 and really liked it. In fact, I liked it so much that I ordered a new Hypersport. Then, AVD went bankrupt.
I don't remember, Dennis. What was wrong with the old one?
Old 03-01-21, 06:15 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't remember, Dennis. What was wrong with the old one?
Not a thing. It was an aluminum 2004 Club Sport that I bought in 2016. It had been in storage for years. In January of 2017, AVD was taking orders at a reduced price for new builds so I ordered a carbon Hypersport that was supposed to be delivered in April or May. In the meantime, somebody offered to buy my Club Sport so I sold it thinking my HS was coming soon.

By June, AVD was bankrupt and everyone lost their order money. Only one ordered trike was recovered and that was Robin on BROL.

Old 06-10-21, 04:51 PM
JGaerlan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Bought this used Rans Stratus XL from a Thrift store for $300 (advertised on Craigslist). Have always dreamed of owning one but was too frugal to buy one new. Just some minor tuneup, new touring tires, back cover fr a Tshirt, and an 11/46 cassette and it now runs well. Bike seems to have been in storage for a while. A few minor rust spots here and there. It's a good comfortable ride. With the wide cassette, I have enough gears for the hills of San Francisco. Slowly adding accessories.

There's a lot of used bents on Craigslist. For rideable bents in decent shape, they start at about $300 in our area. Just wait. Waiting for a SWB Rans.
Likes For JGaerlan:
Old 07-04-21, 01:51 AM
nunol

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Here is my recumbent ride!!
It's a vintage M5, from arround 2000.
it's a 20x20 (not the most comon).

The 26X20 and the 26x26 are more often found rolling.
Likes For nunol:
Old 07-16-21, 01:13 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We moved into a 2nd. floor apartment so we sold our "E-trikes" and went back to DF bicycles, as they say, "hindsight" is 20-20! The wife has both heart problems and is a type II diabetic and she dropped the bicycle 3 times in less than a month. We figured it was cause sometimes her "MEDS" don't mix well so we sold the DF's and she is now back on a trike and since we didn't have the FUNDS for a second used trike I found a 2007 SUN EZ-1 SX in really great shape for a "steal" of a price!! So we are back on recumbents, which even with the trike being a RPIA to get up and down stairs and thru doorways, we will be sticking with recumbents from now on!!!

Jo's New to her, TT Rover X8 2016 model

BJ's 2007 model SUN EZ-1 SX

Likes For bjjoondo:
Old 08-01-21, 03:59 PM
bikesrbest 

Bikes: '73 Eisentraut, ', '78 Merz Tourer, Merz Road, Bruce Gordon Tourer, Bruce Gordon Road, Zunow Z-1, Steve Rex, 3Rensho, Cinelli SC, Ron Cooper, Ibis Hakkalugi CF, Colnago, Land Shark fillet brazed, Land Shark CF, Lighting P-38, Fitz tourer.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts
Catrike w/Copenhagen Wheel

Actually, I no longer have this Catrike, but I still have the Copenhagen Wheel. I found the reclined position with no rear shock jarring except when on the smoothest of roads. Very fast. Cornering was a blast!
Likes For bikesrbest:
Old 08-01-21, 04:13 PM
bikesrbest 

Bikes: '73 Eisentraut, ', '78 Merz Tourer, Merz Road, Bruce Gordon Tourer, Bruce Gordon Road, Zunow Z-1, Steve Rex, 3Rensho, Cinelli SC, Ron Cooper, Ibis Hakkalugi CF, Colnago, Land Shark fillet brazed, Land Shark CF, Lighting P-38, Fitz tourer.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts

My current 'bent: Lightning P-38. Though I've had several short wheelbase 'bents before, I find this a bit more squirrel-ly than the others. Still: Very ridable, more efficient than most 'bents (especially going uphill), and fun!
Likes For bikesrbest:
Old 08-02-21, 05:00 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Likes For Steamer:
Old 08-03-21, 09:01 AM
JGaerlan

Steamer, How do you like the feel of the front geometry with the reverse fork orientation and steep head angle (high 80 deg?). If I remember right , the fork trail on this design has the same fork trail as a regularly designed SWB with normal fork orientation and head angle in the 70's. Thanks for the feedback. Trying to see if I can use design on my next home built bent.
Old 08-03-21, 10:31 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by JGaerlan
Steamer, How do you like the feel of the front geometry with the reverse fork orientation and steep head angle (high 80 deg?). If I remember right , the fork trail on this design has the same fork trail as a regularly designed SWB with normal fork orientation and head angle in the 70's. Thanks for the feedback. Trying to see if I can use design on my next home built bent.
I find it to be a significant improvement. It's easier to control than bikes with more flop, most particularly at non-high speeds (say, 20 mph and lower). It has lots of trail without the usual associated downside of lots of flop. This bike is 85 deg. steering angle and -40mm rake resulting in 71mm of trail and 6mm of flop, using the 700x32c tire you see in the above picture.

Keeping the tire constant, if you changed the steering angle to 71 deg. and 45mm of positive rake, you'd get 72mm of trail and 22mm of flop.

The main thing to be aware of when using this approach is that the other aspects of the design need to be such that the tiller distance is still kept in check. If tiller distance ends up being high due to the bike being a direct steered LWB or the use of tiller / preying mantis type steering on a SWB, the benefits will be diluted.

And it probably goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, there are other design elements that affect how a bike handles. Steering geometry and tiller distance are some of the more important ones, IMO, but there are others to be concerned about as well.
Old 08-03-21, 01:25 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Here's one you don't see every day. I no longer have this trike. I think it's the only one in North America. An AS Engineering "Zenit" from Russia.

Nothing about this trike isn't weird. Front-wheel drive. Custom hydraulic drum brakes. Schlumpf mountain-drive.

AS Engineering "Zenit"
Old 08-06-21, 05:20 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
My FAW+ is on the road.

Likes For skier:
Old 08-08-21, 07:43 PM
Crash2Much

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I like that green color body. I have a low racer it is FUN but not road it in 6 years it needs a new home, it might be fun with a streamline body. I put a cardboard stream line body on a bike once it was very fast.

Last edited by Crash2Much; 08-08-21 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 09:09 AM
JGaerlan

Just picked up a Lightning Phantom off Craigslist for $350. Small frame with the 16" front wheel. Was hardly used by the previous owner. Last SWB I rode was a homebuilt back in the early 90's.
Likes For JGaerlan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.