Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Bike Friday pakiT - Mostly Good/Some Bad

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

New Bike Friday pakiT - Mostly Good/Some Bad

Old 11-08-17, 10:08 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Thanks for the answer. I'm ordering tomorrow. My brake choice (shimano 105) is also 49mm drop and BF says I can go up to marathon plus. Guess I will keep that email just in case =).
Have you looked at this tikit in Dublin? It's a 60cm frame which they bill as Large, but it might work for you because you like a leaned-over position. I'm sure that stem is too long, but that's easily changed.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bid/d/bike-friday-tikit/6377632002.html
Old 11-08-17, 10:27 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Have you looked at this tikit in Dublin? It's a 60cm frame which they bill as Large, but it might work for you because you like a leaned-over position. I'm sure that stem is too long, but that's easily changed.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bid...377632002.html
I saw that. my frame is a 48cm, that's a pretty big difference. The person who let me test ride her pakiT had a small frame tikit she was thinking of selling but it was an IGH and I really don't want an internal hub (yah, i know, everyone loves them). If she'd a rear der model, I might have jumped on it.

I spent a lot of time today on a brompton, checking out the way the smaller tires ride. Found a dealer a ways away who actually knew what he was doing and he got me almost comfortable on a 2 speed s version. But I know what a good fit feels like from my NWT and it just wasn't there. Tires are okay just need to avoid big potholes and pay more attention to the road.

I'm ordering tomorrow. Ended up changing the crankset to something lighter, going with the 105 brakes/levers, when I talk to Steve on the phone we may get it down to 17 lbs =). I'm happy with my decision. First brand new bike I have ever had in my life! Every other one I have bought used and fixed up. Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-13-18, 08:01 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Update: pakiT went back to Bike Friday to have rear triangle issues sorted. So while it was back at the factory; I asked my dealer(BFold of NYC) to order some lighter parts. Item that weren't available for my trim. These parts are normally available only for the Xtralite trim - titanium seat mast/post, aluminum stem mast, Velocity front wheel. Got it back after a few weeks. Everything seems to be in order. Also added Ti Parts Workshop Double X platform pedals.
BF pakiT 8.6 kilos by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-14-18, 11:32 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sweet!
Old 02-14-18, 08:30 PM
tamnalan

Bikes: BF Pakit, Early 90s Merlin road bike, Marin Hawk Hill 2,some old Cannondales & Fuji road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pakiT last summer. I like it! Mine has an RF-4 IGH and belt drive. I'm running Marathon Plus tires. This bike seems at home on both mild off-road trails and on the road. I'm a long-time road rider and this is my first folding bike. It's more flexy and "twitchy" steering-wise than my road bikes but I got used to it. The 4-speed hub has big gear splits but that's ok for a bike like this, IMHO.
Old 02-15-18, 07:44 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Any issues with the 4 speed so far? How does that set up weigh?
Old 02-15-18, 10:32 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by tamnalan
I bought a pakiT last summer. I like it! Mine has an RF-4 IGH and belt drive. I'm running Marathon Plus tires. This bike seems at home on both mild off-road trails and on the road. I'm a long-time road rider and this is my first folding bike. It's more flexy and "twitchy" steering-wise than my road bikes but I got used to it. The 4-speed hub has big gear splits but that's ok for a bike like this, IMHO.
You can reduce some of that twitchy behavior by adding a low front load - using a Vario rack or other attachment for your bag over the front wheel. Makes a big difference, particularly at high speeds.
Old 02-15-18, 10:38 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Update: pakiT went back to Bike Friday to have rear triangle issues sorted. So while it was back at the factory; I asked my dealer(BFold of NYC) to order some lighter parts. Item that weren't available for my trim. These parts are normally available only for the Xtralite trim - titanium seat mast/post, aluminum stem mast, Velocity front wheel. Got it back after a few weeks. Everything seems to be in order. Also added Ti Parts Workshop Double X platform pedals.
BF pakiT 8.6 kilos by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Maybe they've changed things since you first ordered. When I ordered the titanium seat mast was an option (they told me not to get it since I was hooking up a burley travoy; I guess titanium isn't as strong as steel??). The elite fork was also an option (which I didn't get because my friction drive will be mounted on my forks so I thought the stronger ones would be better). The aluminum stem mast was NOT something I saw listed - do you know what the weight saving is on that? And the velocity wheels were an option as I got them front and rear. I'd love to shave another pound or two, but can't think of where except replacing the BB and crankset (which I conifgured lighter than stock but not that light) and the claris derailleur. Waiting for wear to justify it.

Your purchase inspired me to go ahead and buy my own pakiT. I'm very very happy with it, especially now that I'm using Squirt lube. Zero chain mess so I'm not jonesing for a belt drive, lol.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-15-18, 01:12 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

@linberl , I think there might differences when ordering through a dealer(What I did), and ordering directly(what you did).
If you go to BF's configuration page; no hub options, no titanium options listed for the 8 speed der. model:
https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2168
I emailed directly if I can have lighter options; no reply. I asked my shop to ask BF, they told us no.

Only 1 stem riser offered for 8 speed der.:
Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" CroMoly .035 Black $0.00 230g

2 options listed for Xtralite model; https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2162 :
-1.0.3 Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" Aluminum Black $-80.00 130g
-1.0.4 Pakit1 1/8" stem riser 15" TI .035 $0.00 115g

Here's what I posted on the The pakiT pack! Facebook page to a guy asking about taking off more weight:
" If you click on the photo; it will open a new page with the full specifications/parts list. Some parts that made the weight lighter; titanium seatmast/post, full carbon fiber saddle, titanium pedals, 44T chainring/no guard, Velocity front wheel, etc. Future mods to cut more weight; folding Kojak tires or Primo Comets, carbon handle bar, KMC superlight chain, titanium skewers, lighter brake calipers(Dura Ace/FSA SL-K), take off kickstand, ilink/alligator cable housings, etc. Most of these are my ideas; some are in collaboration with my BF dealer - BFold of New York City. You can contact them to get mentioned parts and/or discuss more ideas."
Old 02-15-18, 01:33 PM
linberl

@linberl , I think there might differences when ordering through a dealer(What I did), and ordering directly(what you did).
If you go to BF's configuration page; no hub options, no titanium options listed for the 8 speed der. model:
https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2168
I emailed directly if I can have lighter options; no reply. I asked my shop to ask BF, they told us no.

Only 1 stem riser offered for 8 speed der.:
Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" CroMoly .035 Black $0.00 230g

2 options listed for Xtralite model; https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2162 :
-1.0.3 Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" Aluminum Black $-80.00 130g
-1.0.4 Pakit1 1/8" stem riser 15" TI .035 $0.00 115g

Here's what I posted on the The pakiT pack! Facebook page to a guy asking about taking off more weight:
" If you click on the photo; it will open a new page with the full specifications/parts list. Some parts that made the weight lighter; titanium seatmast/post, full carbon fiber saddle, titanium pedals, 44T chainring/no guard, Velocity front wheel, etc. Future mods to cut more weight; folding Kojak tires or Primo Comets, carbon handle bar, KMC superlight chain, titanium skewers, lighter brake calipers(Dura Ace/FSA SL-K), take off kickstand, ilink/alligator cable housings, etc. Most of these are my ideas; some are in collaboration with my BF dealer - BFold of New York City. You can contact them to get mentioned parts and/or discuss more ideas."
Didn't realize there was a difference between dealer orders and online. In any case, I looked at all the options for all the models and then talked with my BF rep and mixed and matched. No problems with that building my custom order. I even opted for brakes and cranks that were not listed at all (Shimano 105/Sugino) and lighter cassette and chain (SRAM). I'll check out those weight options - my seat/pedals are already super light. Folding kojaks definitely when my current kojaks die. If I could give up my ergo grips I could save some weight but I really love them.
Old 02-15-18, 02:39 PM
tamnalan

Bikes: BF Pakit, Early 90s Merlin road bike, Marin Hawk Hill 2,some old Cannondales & Fuji road bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed, the belt drive is a little spendy! I think it provides a better return than titanium parts, at least for what I sought. I wanted a dependable travel bike that would not require much maintenance. A derailleur cage hangs pretty low on a 16" wheel bike. I was too poor to spring for an Alfine or Rohloff hub as well, dangit.

The RF-4 has a decent range. I spin out at a little under 20 mph and first gear is low enough for mild single-track.
Old 02-23-18, 01:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
It's not a choice, you're talking about Bike Friday models that have nothing to do with the Pakit. The seatpost drops down to fold the bike just like Brompton, Dahon, etc. You're welcome.
they seem to have settled on the EZ pack (Y/N ?), removable parts for seat and bar masts.. , rather than hinged?
those things changed in development,, they tried the folding style too..

Perhaps you have a choice.. on your order specs.. unlike other folders they make them as the funded orders arrive.

I bought pre ordered bikes ..1, abandoned, the BTO guy did not like the finished color, the other 2nd hand..

[edit]
OK, now I get It, from your various pictures.. the fold of the rear gets out of the way of the seat post passing behind it when folded , telescoping past,

..but lines up with it in sort of a normal angle, when unfolded.. where it permanently passes behind the BB on most other folding bikes..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-28-18 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 04:57 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by fietsbob
they seem to have settled on the EZ pack (Y/N ?), removable parts for seat and bar masts.. , rather than hinged?
those things changed in development,, they tried the folding style too..

Perhaps you have a choice.. on your order specs.. unlike other folders they make them as the funded orders arrive.

I bought pre ordered bikes ..1, abandoned, the BTO guy did not like the finished color, the other 2nd hand..

The pakiT isn't at all like the other BF models - not folding OR ez pack. It is much more like a typical Dahon or Brompton in terms of seatpost. It drops down to lock the rear wheel folded for carrying (primary design); that necessitates that it removes for packing. A folding seat mast would not lock the rear wheel (without a strap) and would make the quick fold process not at all quick, just like the NWT. It takes 20 seconds to flip the rear wheel under, drop the seat post and pop the stem mast on the frame. There are videos on you tube.
There is no way to make a folding seatmast on a pakiT.
Old 02-26-18, 10:02 AM
tamnalan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
Any issues with the 4 speed so far? How does that set up weigh?

Sorry - I missed this. I had an issue with 3rd gear skipping when I first got the bike. The belt was too tight - after this was sorted out then it shifted fine and still does. The whole bike weighs about 21 lb.
Old 02-26-18, 12:28 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Slightly OT: The saddle looks like the Selle Anatomica Carbon - is this correct? If so: How do you like it?
Likes For berlinonaut:
Old 02-26-18, 09:36 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
Slightly OT: The saddle looks like the Selle Anatomica Carbon - is this correct? If so: How do you like it?
Yes, it's a Selle Anatomica C series. All carbon makes it lighter than my Brooks C17 and Pro(ti rails); but I think lesss comfortable. I should add also that I'm not completely happy with my Brooks seats either. They're all about the same width. With it's ovalized carbon rails; wouldn't work with my Brompfication post. Had to get a H & H post that can accommodate 7 X 9 rails:
The Lake at Central Park, NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-27-18, 03:10 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Yes, it's a Selle Anatomica C series. All carbon makes it lighter than my Brooks C17 and Pro(ti rails); but I think lesss comfortable. I should add also that I'm not completely happy with my Brooks seats either. They're all about the same width. With it's ovalized carbon rails; wouldn't work with my Brompfication post. Had to get a H & H post that can accommodate 7 X 9 rails:
The Lake at Central Park, NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Have you tried a B17? I have a ti rail model and it's the only saddle I can ride. I tried both a Pro and C17 and they were torture.
Old 02-27-18, 10:37 AM
linberl

Check out the Fizik saddles. I knew I didn't want to put my heavy B17 on my pakiT and I wanted a saddle under 250grams. I took a chance, and my butt has been thanking me ever since. Most comfortable thing I've ever used.
Old 02-27-18, 01:42 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Have tried many models(B17, C15, Team Pro, C17, etc) and brands(Selle Italia, Shimano PRO, Fizik, etc) over the years.
All of them are ok for short trips to the store. But I'm trying to find a saddle that will help me finish a 100 mile charity ride in comfort.
I've done centuries with a WTB Rocket V on my roadbike, and a Brooks C17 on my folder. Very uncomfortable towards the end.
100 Miles(160 Km.) on a Brompton by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
The Brooks Team Pro that I got has titanium rails. I tried it for a few weeks and gave up. Seems this model has a thicker leather than others; meaning it takes even longer to break-in. I'll pull it out of the closet and give it another try:
2015 New York City Century by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-27-18, 06:54 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tamnalan
Sorry - I missed this. I had an issue with 3rd gear skipping when I first got the bike. The belt was too tight - after this was sorted out then it shifted fine and still does. The whole bike weighs about 21 lb.
Thanks, Tamnalan. That seems nice and light for an IGH folder. Be nice to have that on my Brompton.
Old 02-28-18, 02:16 AM
dancier

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have tried many models(B17, C15, Team Pro, C17, etc) and brands(Selle Italia, Shimano PRO, Fizik, etc) over the years.
All of them are ok for short trips to the store. But I'm trying to find a saddle that will help me finish a 100 mile charity ride in comfort.
I've done centuries with a WTB Rocket V on my roadbike, and a Brooks C17 on my folder. Very uncomfortable towards the end.
Some people feel comfortable on a Brooks straight away, whereas myself, about 10000 klms, then I've got a comfy seat. A couple of years on the beater does the job.
Old 02-28-18, 04:20 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, it's a Selle Anatomica C series. All carbon makes it lighter than my Brooks C17 and Pro(ti rails); but I think lesss comfortable. I should add also that I'm not completely happy with my Brooks seats either. They're all about the same width.
Interesting, the more as I got one too through their crowdfunding-campaign when they initially developed the C. Comfortwise I find it very ok for a carbon saddle but more traditional saddles offer more comfort for obvious reasons. I am not using it currently as for one it is a bit slippery and second I tend to carry my folders with the saddle hung on my shoulder and am not sure if this is a good idea with carbon rails. Thus it will probably go onto a non folding bike.

Regarding your problems finding the right saddle: Every butt is different, so the best way is to visit a professional bike fitter who does a measurement regarding your individual pressure and how your load distributes on different saddles. In general the longer you want to ride the slimmer and harder a saddle should be, but this is not more than a general rule. In terms of leather saddles I own various Brooks models and while the B17 mens fits quite good (after breaking in for a long time) I cannot stand the Brooks Professional at all. I like the Selle Anatomica (leather version) very much though it is heavy and not perfect. Comfy from day one, no need to break in. Maybe worth a try, especially since you are in the US and shipping cost is not much of an issue compared to Europe where shipping, customs and taxes add to the price. I have also a Gilles Bertoud Galibier titanium - people say it is very comfy, already from the first ride but for me it is a bit different: Ok, but not perfect and needed a short period of breaking in. Pretty light, too. But not my first choice for a really long ride. Personal thing probably.

Regarding non leather saddles currently my choice is the Terry Comfort Arteria GT men. Pretty light, too. Surprisingly regarding preassure measurement this and the Selle Anatomica Titanico behaved almost identical (for my individual back end). Seems to fit a lot of people, so maybe worth a try, too.
Old 02-28-18, 12:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

+1) Human Pelvises are grown, not out of a factory, so of course what works for 1 person will not satisfy another..

but still people ask opinions..
Old 02-28-18, 12:53 PM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1) Human Pelvises are grown, not out of a factory, so of course what works for 1 person will not satisfy another..

but still people ask opinions..
Yes, people ask opinions. If lots of people think one saddle is great and lots of people think one saddle is terrible, you can draw the conclusion that lots of people may have better luck with the great saddle than the terrible one.
Old 02-28-18, 01:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Along the what works for me, theme, Sufficiently light, and wider, better for more upright posture a Fizik Vitesse HP.

Brompton ordered a batch with a rail bend shape compatible with their Pentaclip..

I got the last 2 CM Wasson had, as he was retiring and closing Foldabikes.. so now have 4.. 1 on my M3L..

Initially got the Vitesse CP 3, another close out, via Sierra Trading Post, its softer , thicker padded
with one of Selle Royale's gel window inserts in it.. Its on my Tikit.

(Fizik and now Brooks, are divisions of Selle Royale, Italy.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.