Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Early Trek 520? What's it worth please?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 05:33 PM
Skye_Walker77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have an early Trek 520. I'm not sure of the year, because it had the trek cover over the serial number on the bottom and I didn't want to take it off. Looks pretty original to me. Prices online seem to be pretty high, so I'm just wondering what a fair value of this bike might be? It needs tires, otherwise it rides nice and smooth. Should I put new tires on it, or let the next owner put their choice on?

Old 06-21-20, 05:35 PM
Skye_Walker77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Old 06-21-20, 05:55 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Looks like an '84: 1984 Trek Bicycle Brochure Part 3 - Touring Bikes

As far as value, you'll want to replace consumables - tires, bar tape, cables, brake pads and the like - if you want to maximize your return, as well as a full tune-up.

Pre-pandemic, these went for $350-400 fully tuned & ready to go with consumables replaced. I don't know where the touring market is these days, but safe bet that it's pretty strong as touring bikes can also be wonderful commuters, and commuting/recreational bikes are in high demand right now.
Old 06-21-20, 06:22 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I watched a nice 520 sit on my local CL for a long while. IIRC, the last listing was $200, or maybe even under, when it finally disappeared. 501 frame, 27” wheels with galvanized spokes and helicomatic hubs... having a hard time seeing this one do any better. Maybe a hotter market will help.
Old 06-22-20, 08:59 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I had an early 90's version with some paint scrapes and it took a long time to get $350 for it. And that was 10 years ago when the market for vintage roadies was much stronger than it is now.
It was a nicer bike than the OP's.
Always pissed me off that it wasn't an 1.5 Inches smaller, I would still have it! (Paid $40)

Old 06-22-20, 11:37 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,479 Times in 3,205 Posts
Replace the chain with an 8-speed. Replace the bar tape with black Newbaum's or similar. Correct the way too-long front brake housing. Clean up the seatpost. List in the local market for $300-$350 obo with the best, sexiest pics (of the bike) you can manage.
Old 06-23-20, 06:09 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I think your biggest challenge selling it is going to be the large frame size. That's got to be at least a 60cm or 62cm bike! With big frames the seller has to wait for the right buyer to come around and, that can take some time. The last big bike I had took a couple years to sell and, by that time it was a bare frame. Good luck. Have fun.