Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your cycling thang?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What's your cycling thang?
Speed
8.57%
Distance
20.00%
Climbing
7.14%
Touring / Exploring
15.71%
Commuting
17.14%
Other
31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

What is your cycling thang?

Old 12-07-20, 06:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
All of the above.
Old 12-07-20, 06:55 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I'm not good at it, but climbing brings better scenery, meditative moments, and more enjoyment per mile.
Old 12-07-20, 07:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I voted "commuting", which is what I will be doing again once Big Brother lifts his heavy handed restrictions...
Old 12-07-20, 07:59 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
as a mountain biker, I rarely care about going "fast" or finding flowy trails. I seek out challenging trails with boulders that require very careful line choice. It's a full-body workout and sometimes requires trying the same segment of trail over and over until I clean it or leave it for another day. if you watch some videos of Chris Akrigg riding, that's what I am doing in my head.
Old 12-07-20, 08:01 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Spiritual Enlightenment.
I don't know if that is it for me, but there's something to be said about cycling as meditation. if you're focused on what your body and your bike are doing, the rest of the world melts away for at least an hour and it's the most blissful thing for me.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-07-20, 08:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Riding with souplesse.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-07-20, 08:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm all about speed, hot nasty bad-A speed.

Really though, going fast. Like, make you want to pee yourself a bit. Figuring out how those pesky air molecules want to hold you back. Why are you going that way? Why not this way? Why not take the easy way around me and let me go faster?

I'm the time trial nut. Aero guru. The one that rides around looking like a character from Spaceballs with a helmet that could fit right in on the Death Star.

It's my thing. It is not super popular in the US like it is in Britain. I see it as the great equalizer in cycling sport. Club riders of any age, any ability, any equipment can participate without worry of being dropped or having someone crash you out. Shoot, there's even equipment groupings for folks without fancy equipment. Just you and the stopwatch. Simple. So, no need to worry about what anyone else is doing.

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-07-20, 09:02 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I don't know if that is it for me, but there's something to be said about cycling as meditation. if you're focused on what your body and your bike are doing, the rest of the world melts away for at least an hour and it's the most blissful thing for me.
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Actually, yes. Becoming one with the machine. Pushing it. Embracing the moment. Feeling the sun and the wind and the road. Body, spirit and heart.
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Spiritual Enlightenment.
​​​​​
It's riding by the forests and the fields, watching the planting and growing and harvesting. It's seeing the blue heron in the ditch by the road get up and fly just in front of my bike before touching down and taking off again. It's riding on a sunny day and being caught in a pop up shower. It's stopping for a break at the ferry and watching the river go by.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 12-07-20, 09:14 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I voted Distance. I'm not really into climbing, unless there's a really good downhill section afterward (but it's a moot point since it is flat around here anyway).

As a railroad buff, I like a real good rail-trail. Especially if there are a lot of vintage stuff to look at: old concrete mileposts, signal bases, cool bridges, etc. And since they're usually pretty straight and level, it's a great place to ride far and fast.
Old 12-07-20, 09:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I checked other as many have. You left out the simple pleasure of cycling, without being told by others how and what we should ride.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-07-20 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-07-20, 09:36 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
For Me it was all about Miles.

The group I soon met were in a local club that kept track of miles.
If one was able to get in a 100 mile ride each month of the year we got a free jersey.
I got three of them.

And Made some very nice friends.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-07-20 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-07-20, 12:59 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Losing weight so there is less of me to love.
Old 12-07-20, 01:56 PM
twm182

Bikes: 89 Trek 660, 94 Rockhopper Grocery-Getter, No Name Carbon Franken[road]bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seems like a good option would've been recreation. I personally love exploring and riding around town for pleasure. Buuuuuut I do love to go fast too sometimes hee
Old 12-07-20, 02:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,543 Posts
You left out one category that includes most of my riding. (Yes, yours still apply, but the left out category rules anytime you are doing it. Riding fix gear. 3 of my 5 bikes. More than half my lifetime miles. It's more than just an "other" for me.
Old 12-07-20, 03:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I want to explore, but I ended up commuting, so that's what I voted. COVID took away my commuting, so these days I flounder. Or should I say, Flounder? (har har) The riding options around here are steep mtb, or busy roads, neither of which is my jam.
Old 12-07-20, 07:19 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'm all about speed, hot nasty bad-A speed.

Really though, going fast. Like, make you want to pee yourself a bit. Figuring out how those pesky air molecules want to hold you back. Why are you going that way? Why not this way? Why not take the easy way around me and let me go faster?

I'm the time trial nut. Aero guru. The one that rides around looking like a character from Spaceballs with a helmet that could fit right in on the Death Star.

It's my thing. It is not super popular in the US like it is in Britain. I see it as the great equalizer in cycling sport. Club riders of any age, any ability, any equipment can participate without worry of being dropped or having someone crash you out. Shoot, there's even equipment groupings for folks without fancy equipment. Just you and the stopwatch. Simple. So, no need to worry about what anyone else is doing.

To me, solo Time Trial is the most authentic and I'd even say most "fair" form of racing. No other riders to help you along or slow you down. No team games. Besides, riding at high speed only inches away from other cyclists is risky madness. No thanks!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-07-20, 07:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I voted commuting because that's where I do most of my miles on the bike. But working on bikes is right up there as a passion!
Old 12-07-20, 07:44 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I checked other as many have. You left out the simple pleasure of cycling, without being told by others how and what we should ride.
"Simple pleasure of cycling" encompasses just about every possible reason for riding. Being a bit more specific here. I thought about having "fitness" as a category also, but again, I think we all pretty much do it for fitness as well, regardless of what specifically we try to accomplish.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 12-07-20, 07:47 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
For Me it was all about Miles.

The group I soon met were in a local club that kept track of miles.
If one was able to get in a 100 mile ride each month of the year we got a free jersey.
I got three of them.

And Made some very nice friends.
Old 12-07-20, 07:56 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Every thang if only in my dreams.

I just enjoy getting out. I consider it my personal time. Sometimes I go far ,sometimes I go fast, sometimes I climb quite a bit [western Pa and the Allegheny Mt range thing]. The most important thing to me is just to get out and ride. I use the bike to relieve stress and to relax, a form of zen if you will. I feel it makes me better in many ways and therefore it gives me personal credibility to ride. This may all be B.S. but for me it just seems to work so I will continue to blissfully ride along. The most common theme I see here is just to ride. So to all I say is just ride and be happy! Life is to short ,enjoy the ride.
Likes For pattrick:
Old 12-07-20, 09:04 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
On the local MUP where I'm dealing with unsafe riders and inexperienced riders and peds and dogs and such, it's just a vehicle to get distance, burn calories, get down to the beach, etc.

On local surface streets, the goal is to not die, followed by stay off the main roads and enjoy the scenery.
Old 12-08-20, 05:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
I went from pure road riding (and general transportation) to loaded touring for a couple of years then back to road riding again. In 2008 I started to drift back to loaded touring. Definitely my favorite (along with not having to get behind the wheel to get to work and do most food shopping). Just love pitching the tent after a nice ride and enjoying my setting.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-20, 08:10 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
To me, solo Time Trial is the most authentic and I'd even say most "fair" form of racing. No other riders to help you along or slow you down. No team games. Besides, riding at high speed only inches away from other cyclists is risky madness. No thanks!
I totally get that folks can crash on any bike, any time.

But I went to hospital early in 2020 after going over the bars at 35mph in a sprint finish of a road race. Pretty sure the guy on my right swerved left and touched my front wheel stopping it dead.

I'm now very averse to racing any road races that will end in a bunch or sprint. I may register for some with a huge hill at some point that splits the groups up something bad, but nothing where a bunch of rabid dudes are sprinting for the line again.

Time trial, that's all on me to handle my bike......keep my tires in good shape.......go out and pre-ride the course to see the debris and pot holes and such.
Old 12-08-20, 09:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
"Simple pleasure of cycling" encompasses just about every possible reason for riding. Being a bit more specific here. I thought about having "fitness" as a category also, but again, I think we all pretty much do it for fitness as well, regardless of what specifically we try to accomplish.
What I meant was what I have posted many times about. The simple fun factor of cycling, and yes that does include many things. Things like exercise, freedom, sight seeing, riding alone, and with others. Basically the whole spectrum of what cyclist like. Or just list it as fun.