Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do you pay the man or fix yourself?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do you pay the man or fix yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 04:57 PM
AVolta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
A repair stand was one of the best investments I have ever made. I don't like being beholden to the shop for repairs (especially for minor things that you would decide to live with if you had to take it to the shop each time), and I like having the confidence to fix stuff on the road, which I have had to do from time to time. The repair stand takes contortion out of the picture, and makes working on my bike almost enjoyable. Online video's, too, are helpful. Over the years I have accumulated all of tools I need, and have been once through the most common repairs so I don't have to learn them again. Part of it is overcoming the fear of messing up - but I feel much more comfortable riding with a mechanical knowledge of my bike.
Old 03-08-21, 05:37 PM
EVFreewheeler

Bikes: 1963 Olmo Special, 1961/70 Wander, 1978 Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I do it all myself - but my bikes are old and simple, no CF, no electronics, no hydraulics, no suspension...
Ditto
Old 03-08-21, 05:57 PM
Patrickgpiper

Bikes: Trek Pure, Ross Dune Commander

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As with my motorcycle, I’d rather ride than wrench. I have no problem taking my Trek or Triumph to the shop for an annual tuneup which usually prevents more frequent visits or on the road breakdowns. My helmet is off to all who can “do it all” on their own. I have neither the skill set, tools or inclination to do so.
Old 03-08-21, 06:57 PM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
I take a little bit of pride with understanding my bikes systems and being able to service them myself.
Old 03-08-21, 08:08 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
I worked in a Guitar shop and one of the best Guitar players I had ever seen (He even had a University degree in it.). Couldn't even change his strings, heck not even a single broken one. He used to do a lot of touring and I asked him what the heck he does when he's in the middle of nowhere and a string breaks? Well I guess he's borrowed a lot of guitars over the years from other bands . But I've found that many guitar players couldn't work on their guitars.

With Bicycles I think there is a generational difference. Back before cell phones if your bike broke down hundreds of miles in the middle of nowhere you were stuck walking. That only happened to you once maybe twice before you kept basic tools and learned how to fix things enough to get to the next town lol. Now if there is a break down you can instantly call and have someone pick you up. The necessity and need isn't there for many.
Well, I have multiple degrees in music, and I've performed and recorded a lot (mostly as a composer and leader of a big band), and yeah: I can change guitar strings. When I was much younger (early 70's), I was in rock bands playing 4 or 5 nights a week, 3 or 4 sets a night, and that amount of sweat just destroyed guitar strings and I had to change strings once a week. Now they last way longer. But I don't dare to adjust the truss rod.
ON my bike, I can change a flat tube....and....let's see: attach a light. That's about it. I have an LBS I'm really happy with.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 03-08-21, 08:32 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
I like tinkering - as my username suggests my other distraction/ hobby / money pit is my BMW.
I do what I can up top - electronics, HVAC, door mechanicals etc (in case you haven’t heard these cars are high maintenance )
When it’s something I can’t handle it goes to my LBS - local BMW shop.

same thing with my bikes.
Old 03-08-21, 08:51 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
The last time my bike into a shop for repair was when I worked in a shop and I repaired it myself. That was longer ago than I care to admit.
Old 03-09-21, 03:15 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
+1
I’m not entirely comfortable with the phrase ”my standards”. There will always be people out there not realizing that it’s their expectations that are out of calibration.
And I don’t want to be one of ”them”.
In my experience, it's common to bring a bike to the LBS with an issue, and come out with the same issue, or a new one. Lots of times, they fail on basic issues like adjusting a derailleur properly. They just rush it and don't test the bike outside of the test stand.

It's not like my standards are out of this planet.
Old 03-09-21, 07:55 AM
mrMike88

Bikes: Spalding Blade Vintage 12-speed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm lucky to have a good LBS that not only fixes any problems I have but will often make adjustments I don't notice. I take my bike in for a tuneup maybe once a year at most and as needed for repairs. I plan to get a bike stand to get better at my own repairs as needed, but I value having things fixed reliably, and the money is no issue. The only tough thing is the wait - during last year they were so busy that you had to wait in line for awhile just to bring your bike in, and then it was three weeks. But this has eased off recently, and the last repair they did during the day I had brought it in.
Old 03-09-21, 07:48 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Bikes are somewhat like cars, the more expensive and later technology they are, the less likely is the average owner able to work on them at home. And if your bike cost is 3-5k and up, the cost of LBS servicing is relatively acceptable. Assuming that it wasn't the case, you didn't eat lunches while saving the money for the bike.

I really don't trust anybody but myself, that is the bane of all of us who are handy mechanics and understand how things work. That's because we are able to assess the quality of work done by somebody else. And honest work done by the knowledgeable people is hard to find. It is like that in all trades, everywhere. I've seen atrocious workmanship way too often to trust anybody. Your best bet is to know your mechanic and if you can stipulate that you want him to work on your bike.
Like when I used to go to get haircut, I was like Sheldon from BBTheory, always went to the same guy, even let people who came in before me go first when somebody else got available, so I could get to him to cut my hair. Now with everything closed, I learned how to cut my own, even in the back...

I also work for a well to do family and most everything is serviced by local shops but it does cost a bundle, not everybody can afford that. I also see the quality of service is often not there, but that is not my problem. Also if the servicing is bungled up, you just buy new whatever was serviced (and those servicing people know how to explain that to you...). 'Normal folk' who have plenty of money but don't understand things, they are a godsend for those local shops of all kinds. I understand it to some extent and might do the same myself, if I was rich enough. So what if they tell you, the BB on your bike has stripped thread and the frame is busted or something of the sort, they offer you a discount on new bike, no problem there.

Last edited by vane171; 03-10-21 at 12:45 AM.
Likes For vane171:
Old 03-09-21, 10:03 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I fix near everything (plumbing, electrical, hardware) around the house. These things are somewhat gratifying provided I can minimize the time probing for the correct parts at Lowes. I like working with my hands. A bicycle is a truly amazing machine. I like working on all aspect of it. It is on a higher quantum level of existence.
Old 03-10-21, 10:28 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I really like building my own wheels, and I think I can do it as well as the pros. Very satisfying, and I'm proud of the results.

I can put on a new chain... takes about an hour, I get pretty dirty, I always get the length right and don't usually bugger up the connecting pin... it's a skill worth having, but it's not really that satisfying. Cost = 1 chain. Or I can take the bike to the shop and have one of the guys do it for me while I browse the accessories, not getting dirty, guaranteed to be the right length, well lubed, and a good connection and it takes about 20 minutes. Cost = 1 chain plus $20... I usually go that route.

I had been doing my own brake cables forever, but one time I decided to have the shop do it as part of a bigger tune up. The kid got the internal cables to not rattle... something I'd been living with for at least 10 years. I'm not sure what he did but he's getting my next maintenance project too.

Some day I may have a bike with hydraulic brakes... I'm not going to bother with the learning curve.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 03-10-21 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-11-21, 09:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I have the LBS do the things that require specialized tools - like removing/installing cranks, BBs, and headsets. I've also had them straighten the derailleur hangers on my steel bikes, but that's been twice in maybe 15 years. I did have them bleed the hydraulic brakes and cut the carbon steerer on the Canyon, as well. But 3 bikes now I've built up from frames, once the BB and headset were installed.

One of my coworkers doesn't even know how to change a tire on his Wilier. Then again, he doesn't ride outdoors much - no sense of direction, and he's afraid of getting lost.

I think it's a generational thing. Not necessarily age, but when you got into it. I rode thousands of miles before cell phones were something everyone carried all the time, and planned my routes out on paper maps, so the roads are already mapped in my head, and that's on top of having to bring enough tools along that I could get to a pay phone if need be. And I STILL had to walk 2 miles in cleats that one time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-12-21, 11:15 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
I know enough to know when I am in over my head and will pay someone to do what I lack in expertise....saves money and time in the long run.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-22-21, 05:34 AM
De Sisti

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do everything except install / remove a headset. Oh, and wheelbuilding. I can change spokes and cassettes though.