Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to fit to a smaller frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to fit to a smaller frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 12:06 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GIANT OCR 3 - Fit a smallish frame to my big one?

I was asked if I wanted to buy a nice Giant OCR 3, medium frame size bike. In common parlance, Giant gives that as a 50 cm frame. I am 6'1" tall and generally require a 58-60 cm frame - a big difference. Some comment s Ive seen suggest a medium could work for me, but I have my doubts.

My only real interest in it would be if I could turn it into a commuter bike of some sort. So, aside frim the fact that it is a road bike with all the challenges they present to rack and fender mounting, would the Giant just be too small? (pun intended ).

Im thinking I could get an extended seat post and a longer handlebar stem, which would get me up and away from the frame. That might alleviate being cramped over the cranks, but might also put my C/G high enough so the whole thing would feel squirrely, like a circus bike.
I dont know, I havent done this kind of thing on purpose. Oh, Ive bastardized bikes in the past, and made Fankenbikes out of random bits and bobs, but not with any real goal in mind.

I already mentioned rigging up fender and rack mounts and knowing me, the crappy 2300 shift set will beg to be replaced and... by the time I do all that I couldve gotten something that was set up right to start with.

Now, the woman says she'll make me a really, really good price. If it's low enough, Im going to be tempted - I just know I am.

1. Has anyone done this sort of thing, ie, turn a too-small bike into a decent commuter? If so have you some pointers? Maybe some pics?

Last edited by dahut; 07-23-10 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 12:32 AM
zzyzx_xyzzy
headtube.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the seat tube measurement on a bike with a sloping tube means nothing. that giant is more like most manufacturer's 55cm if you're looking at reach-from-the-saddle and height-of-the-headset, but i'd still avoid it:

first, you'd need a stem about this size --

https://www.ebayitem.com/270610825500

-- and second, you'd find that with the tiller of a stem and your weight too much over the front wheel, it will handle like crap.

Don't do it.

Last edited by zzyzx_xyzzy; 07-23-10 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 12:34 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm the same size as you, and normally ride a 58-60 as well. I have one bike that is a 56 and it's take years of tweaking with various bar and stem combos in order for it to be comfortable to ride for any length of time.

Yes, the Giant is too small.
Old 07-23-10, 12:49 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Peoples tolerance for mismatch is different. I used to ride a small framed MTB with a really long stem, and although the steering felt kinda funky, more like swinging a tiller than turning a bar, the ride characteristics never bothered me. For technical out-of-the-saddle trail riding you keep shunting your center of gravity all over the place anyhow.
Don't really remember how it handled on the road.
But if you aren't looking for speed you might want to set it up for a more upright riding position instead, turning it into a surprisingly snappy utility bike/grocery getter.
Old 07-23-10, 12:57 AM
zzyzx_xyzzy
headtube.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Peoples tolerance for mismatch is different. I used to ride a small framed MTB with a really long stem,
Sizing for MTBs and roadbikes seems to be really different these days. Roadbikes vary more in height, MTBs more in length. MTBs have longer frontcenters so the weight distribution isn't as much an issue. a small MTB for technical mountainbiking does make some sense.
Old 07-23-10, 02:18 AM
Nimitz87

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 R5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey andy schleck rides a 55-56cm top tube...he's 6'1 so it must be right!

Chad
Old 07-23-10, 02:28 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I am five foot ten and ride a 55cm road bike... fitting suggests that I can ride 52-56 and my fg road bike is a 52 with a little longer stem and is very comfy.

If you normally ride a 58-60 a 50 cm would be too small.
Old 07-23-10, 06:29 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dabac
Peoples tolerance for mismatch is different.
But if you aren't looking for speed you might want to set it up for a more upright riding position instead, turning it into a surprisingly snappy utility bike/grocery getter.
I understand the tolerance thing - Im of the mind that, at some point, YOU adapt to the bike. But Im guessing there would be a bunch of trial and error to get any where near a "fit." The consensus so far seems to agree

And in this case, I am bound by speed. My personal expression of "commuting" is getting my @ss to work on time. This means that speed is indeed a deciding factor. Grocery getting and casual toodling are much less of a concern.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 07-23-10, 06:30 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zzyzx_xyzzy
the seat tube measurement on a bike with a sloping tube means nothing. that giant is more like most manufacturer's 55cm if you're looking at reach-from-the-saddle and height-of-the-headset, but i'd still avoid it:

first, you'd need a stem about this size --

https://www.ebayitem.com/270610825500

-- and second, you'd find that with the tiller of a stem and your weight too much over the front wheel, it will handle like crap.

Don't do it.
This is along the lines I was thinking, too. No matter what I do, something is going to be way off.
Old 07-23-10, 06:34 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm the same size as you, and normally ride a 58-60 as well. I have one bike that is a 56 and it's take years of tweaking with various bar and stem combos in order for it to be comfortable to ride for any length of time.

Yes, the Giant is too small.
I keep having this image of me on a circus bike, perched up in the air with a juggling monkey or something. Not good!

Alright, so lets take different tack. If she makes me a good enough offer, maybe I could sell it on ebay and make a few bills. Then I could apply those to something else. They average about $350-400 on ebay, it seems.

Last edited by dahut; 07-23-10 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 06:44 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dahut, I've found that top tube length is a much more important guide than seat tube length as there are different methods for measuring seat tube length. My old Cannondale is a good example...56 cm frame yet when the seat tube is measured C-C it's 53.5 cm. The top tube is 56 cm C-C. I'm 6' 0" and doubt I could get a smaller frame to fit and ride properly.

Brad
Old 07-23-10, 07:11 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradtx
dahut, I've found that top tube length is a much more important guide than seat tube length as there are different methods for measuring seat tube length. My old Cannondale is a good example...56 cm frame yet when the seat tube is measured C-C it's 53.5 cm. The top tube is 56 cm C-C. I'm 6' 0" and doubt I could get a smaller frame to fit and ride properly.

Brad
If Im reading you correctly, it still looks like the Giant is far too small to really be practical for me.
Old 07-23-10, 07:15 AM
equusbynature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm only 5'6" and I ride a 53cm...I feel like a 50 could be too small even for me!
Old 07-23-10, 08:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dahut
If Im reading you correctly, it still looks like the Giant is far too small to really be practical for me.
+1. Even if really would be equivalent to a 56 measured from a projected level toptube it would be too small. Either buy and flip for the profit it and then buy something the proper size or go for the correct size directly.
Old 07-23-10, 10:31 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dahut, I'm suggesting very strongly that you and that frame aren't likely compatible, but there is always the exception. My other (newer) Cannondales are 58 cm with a 55 cm C-C seat tube and a 56 cm top tube.

HTH,
Brad
Old 07-23-10, 04:18 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And now for the rest of the story -

The bike is actually an OCR1, which is good. But her idea of a really great price is $650.
This is exactly what they sell for on ebay, meaning Im stuck trying to play the 'Greater Fool' game on someone else.

With the frames dicey fit and the fact that there is nothing left in it for a flip, Im taking a pass on this one.
Old 07-23-10, 05:16 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Folks, remember that the Giant mediuim-sized frame may have a 50cm seatpost (the traditional way to size), but this doesn't mean anything, especially on a modern frame with sloping top tube.

As stated earlier, the medium has similar geometry of a traditional 54 or 55cm frame. The main difference is that the top tube slopes down so it joins with the seat tube closer to the bottom bracket. But it would still feel like a 54 or 55cm frame for all intents and purposes.