Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Almost 2 months later and NOW my legs are sore?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 12:36 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've been riding to work every day for about the past two months after not riding a whole lot (though in a former life, I used to do anywhere from 100 - 250 miles/week). I've had very little soreness or fatigue, but all of the sudden, this weekend my legs started killing, particularly in the quads, closer to the knee and sides.

I've taken this weekend off and have been walking everywhere, but the soreness is only worse today. I'm sitting on the couch rolling my thighs with a wine bottle and the pain is fairly intense. Any suggestions? I took some ibuprofen, which I take everyday before I go to work, and it seems to have helped a bit but the pain is still pretty sharp. Any ideas why this would surface now, after two months?
Old 05-06-12, 12:48 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
See a Doc.
Old 05-06-12, 12:50 PM
cjewett65

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it was in your lower leg i would suggest the possibility of shin splints. In your thighs however, it is possible that you pulled a muscle and are experiencing a long healing process or you could be experiencing upper knee tendon pain, possibly related to a either an improper seat height on your bike or even misaligned cleat position on your shoes. These often lead to rand accute leg pain.
Old 05-06-12, 12:53 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seat height should be dialed -- it hasn't changed for the six or so years I've been riding the bike, and I use toe straps so it can't be cleat position. I'm stumped. I used to do bike fits and never had a problem with fit on any bicycle, ever, so I'm pretty sure its not a fit related issue all of the sudden. It's definitely a muscle soreness, I know that much.
Old 05-06-12, 12:53 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lighten up on the biking a bit so your legs can recovery.
Old 05-06-12, 06:51 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Have you cut down on the amount of water you are drinking? As temps get warmer and you sweat more on the commute, you need to increase your water intake for more efficient muscle recovery. Just about every time I've experienced muscle fatigue on the bike, it's been during a period of low water intake. Sucking down an extra few gulps before, during, and after the ride has helped me EVERY time.
Old 05-06-12, 07:49 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is a good thought -- I haven't usually had an issue staying hydrated, but I'll try to consciously watch my water intake.
Old 05-07-12, 06:04 AM
doc0c

Bikes: 2010 Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few things could be off:
- lactic acid build up: if you're cranking harder than normal, you may be getting less oxygen to your muscles. This causes lactic acid build up, which take a bit longer to recover from than just normal wear and tear on the muscles.
- electrolyte balance: believe it or not, salt is an important ingredient in nervous impulses. When there is a lack of salt (sodium and chlorine), neurons may not fire off properly, causing muscle tears and "charlie horses".
- wind direction: this one should be obvious
Old 05-07-12, 06:46 AM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
That is a good thought -- I haven't usually had an issue staying hydrated, but I'll try to consciously watch my water intake.
I am on water delivery system here in Las Vegas. When I first switched from tap to delivery I had many cramps and other related muscle issues. Then I discovered on the delivery web site that all minerals were removed from the water and I wasn't getting enough electrolytes. They had an option in the delivery plan where I could order electrolyte enhanced purified water and all my muscle issue went away almost instantly.
Old 05-07-12, 07:44 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had my seatpost slip about an inch one day, and I didn't know it. It was fine for the week prior, but it may have been the temperature change, or humidity, but it was for sure lower. My legs were killing me after that week.