Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Revolutionary 622mm disc brake rotor design

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Revolutionary 622mm disc brake rotor design

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 09:59 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
I don't entirely understand rim brake diehards. Aside from a few grams and negligible aero gains, I don't understand why anyone would prefer a rim brake given the choice. I suppose the wheels are more compact and thru-axles are a but more fidgety? Seems like a low cost to pay for not tearing up the brake track on your $3000 carbon rims.

Maybe I just don't understand. Would anyone care to convince me otherwise?
Personal preference isn't something you convince someone else of. We all like things someone else doesn't like. It's human nature.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-03-20, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by rafazx10
EBR motorcycles actually had perimeter disc brakes
So does Buell Motorcycles ..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-03-20, 03:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
.............That means I can do things like flip the bike while swapping tires without making the brakes squishy,..............
I like rim brakes too and have no issue with them. But the above statement is false with regard to most disc brakes and doesn't need to continue to be thrown out as a reason.

I turn my disc brake bike upside down too. My hydraulic brakes don't care.
Old 09-03-20, 03:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I like rim brakes too and have no issue with them. But the above statement is false with regard to most disc brakes and doesn't need to continue to be thrown out as a reason.

I turn my disc brake bike upside down too. My hydraulic brakes don't care.
Interesting. That's handy to know, but it still gets told to me by disc brake aficionados, so I took it at face value.
Old 09-03-20, 03:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Interesting. That's handy to know, but it still gets told to me by disc brake aficionados, so I took it at face value.
I get burned many times too for taking things at face value that other people claim. Even by people that should know.

Look how long the idea that Otto Titzling was mistakenly credited for inventing the bra. Or maybe that is from a time before you were self aware, so it might not be a good example. If you weren't born before the mid seventies, you'll probably not have been party to it's heyday in the late 80's and even into the early part of this century.
Old 09-03-20, 03:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Iride01
I get burned many times too for taking things at face value that other people claim. Even by people that should know.

Look how long the idea that Otto Titzling was mistakenly credited for inventing the bra. Or maybe that is from a time before you were self aware, so it might not be a good example. If you weren't born before the mid seventies, you'll probably not have been party to it's heyday in the late 80's and even into the early part of this century.
Nope, not really consciously aware of things until '85 or so. However, if I'm to take "hydro discs work better in the rain" at face value from someone who uses them, I'll also tend to believe "don't turn the bike upside down" as well as "bed the pads properly" and other things pertinent.

Like I said, that's good to know, because I'll likely take the plunge myself for one bike this winter and wasn't looking forward to that restriction. But I don't feel foolish for internalizing it.
Old 09-03-20, 06:59 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Lots of this bike isn’t to my taste, but some of the details are fascinating. The upside-down headset arrangement is obviously impractical but also very cool. I do wonder about how much load that pinch bolt crown is being subjected to, but it’s interesting. Those skinny seatstays, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that in steel. Probably the only aesthetic element that really works for me; ok, the wheels are pretty, too. Yeah, the bit about “full diameter disc brakes” or whatever the exact words were is a worn-out canard rather than original, but it’s perfectly fine to point out that there are still reasons to build some bikes with rim brakes. He’s not trying to claim they’re just as good for pure stopping power, so I’m good with that. Finally, the seatmast is bonkers but it certainly brings some unity to the overall appearance. The saddle height and saddle to bar height seem very extreme for someone who’s only 5’9” but presumably he knows what he’s doing.

On the other hand - I do wonder, if this is what a 5’9” gentleman considers a “short” stem, what the heck is a long one? Plus the color really isn’t nice to my eyes. And those cranks seem like they might explode if you look at them harshly.
Old 09-03-20, 07:03 PM
grolby

Nope, not really consciously aware of things until '85 or so. However, if I'm to take "hydro discs work better in the rain" at face value from someone who uses them, I'll also tend to believe "don't turn the bike upside down" as well as "bed the pads properly" and other things pertinent.

Like I said, that's good to know, because I'll likely take the plunge myself for one bike this winter and wasn't looking forward to that restriction. But I don't feel foolish for internalizing it.
Bedding the pads (and rotors, actually) is a real thing. “Don’t turn the bike upside down” is baloney. Hydro systems are fully wet, and the system is airtight. There shouldn’t be anywhere for the fluid to go just because you turned the bike upside down.
Old 09-03-20, 07:36 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Bedding the pads (and rotors, actually) is a real thing. “Don’t turn the bike upside down” is baloney. Hydro systems are fully wet, and the system is airtight. There shouldn’t be anywhere for the fluid to go just because you turned the bike upside down.
for a recently bleed system maybe, but as time goes by there will be air build up in the master cylinder in the hoods. And the cylinder is designed to keep the air on top but if you flip the bike, the air will flow back into the lines
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 09-03-20, 07:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
There is (can be?) air in the reservoirs of Shimano levers and it can work past the cylinder in to the brake lines, which is why the instruction manual (in an unintentionally comedic way) says that it will not brake properly when upside-down. Usually it's not problematic, but I have had soft/ineffective brakes after transporting my bike and it took a minute or so of vigorous lever flicking to work the bubbles back up and out of the lines.
Old 09-04-20, 04:41 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

if I'm to take "hydro discs work better in the rain" at face value from someone who uses them, I'll also tend to believe "don't turn the bike upside down" as well as "bed the pads properly" and other things pertinent.

Nothing of what you said (and especially the subsequent posters) addresses what I wrote. I did not, do not, and will not feel foolish for accepting the things disc brake users say about disc brakes. Maybe take a moment to think about why you have a hard time letting that go.
Old 09-04-20, 05:22 AM
grolby

Nothing of what you said (and especially the subsequent posters) addresses what I wrote. I did not, do not, and will not feel foolish for accepting the things disc brake users say about disc brakes. Maybe take a moment to think about why you have a hard time letting that go.
I was just trying to provide some information, guy.
Old 09-04-20, 05:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I was just trying to provide some information, guy.
Then check the aggressive tone, pal. You made your case previously and came back with "baloney" because you weren't happy with my response. But what else should I expect from "BOSTON BABY"?
Old 09-04-20, 08:09 AM
grolby

Then check the aggressive tone, pal. You made your case previously and came back with "baloney" because you weren't happy with my response. But what else should I expect from "BOSTON BABY"?
???