Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 01-10-21, 11:56 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Moron Mechanic Move of the Day:

I decided to fix my slack chain problem by replacing the partly worn chain. I have done this job many times.

Of course I messed it up and the chain is on the OUTSIDE of the tab between the two jockey wheels.

I am running 6700 Shimano chains with those stupid one-time hollow pins, so I don't really want to sacrifice another one. How easy/hard is it to disassemble the RD cage to fix this? If that's not too hard I would rather do this and keep the chain intact. If that's a bigger PITA I suppose I can find a break-off pin from another new chain I have on the pegboard.

Advice?
I think taking apart the mechanism is much more risky than biting the bullet.
Old 01-10-21, 12:03 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,492 Times in 3,418 Posts
Rooting for the Baltimore team this afternoon over the quasi-south Tennessee team.
Old 01-10-21, 12:07 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28444 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Rooting for the Baltimore team this afternoon over the carpetbagger Oiler team.
Fixed and same.
Old 01-10-21, 12:08 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10067 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Speaking of, I’ve often wondered what people do when they have to pee mid-ride. On country roads there are always places, and in urban areas there are as well. On the other hand, we have a 10 mile out and back MUP that gets a lot of cyclists. While wooded, there is really no place to hop off that offers privacy from other riders. And in this day you don’t want to be accused of exposing yourself. Not sure what you would do out there if you really had to go.

I asked my cross country coach in high school what I was suppose to do if I had to pee or poo while in a race. He said to just let it happen and keep running. That’s the day discovered winning isn’t everything.
Old 01-10-21, 12:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Buy a pack of quick links.
Originally Posted by LAJ
You must be new here.
Yes.

FWIW I fixed problem by removing lower jockey wheel and loosening upper bolt to allow cage to pivot. Two minute fix.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-21, 12:12 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10067 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts

I decided to fix my slack chain problem by replacing the partly worn chain. I have done this job many times.

Of course I messed it up and the chain is on the OUTSIDE of the tab between the two jockey wheels.

I am running 6700 Shimano chains with those stupid one-time hollow pins, so I don't really want to sacrifice another one. How easy/hard is it to disassemble the RD cage to fix this? If that's not too hard I would rather do this and keep the chain intact. If that's a bigger PITA I suppose I can find a break-off pin from another new chain I have on the pegboard.

Advice?

I think RJ told me how to do this a couple months ago when I did the same thing. My search function skills suck though, and I opted for taking the chain apart.
Old 01-10-21, 12:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Do they still have sections out there where the speed limit is 80?
As much as 85. 75 is common outside of the cities. 70 is the norm in the urban areas.

Unless it’s the end of the month, our limits are more like guidelines.

I once drove from our house to my in-laws place in Houston in 3.25 hours. About 250 miles. That included potty and Starbucks stops for Mrs. Mojo.. Takes longer to fly.
Old 01-10-21, 12:28 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Yes.

FWIW I fixed problem by removing lower jockey wheel and loosening upper bolt to allow cage to pivot. Two minute fix.
In your neck of the woods, I always worry about the rust and seized fastener issue. Here, it's no sweat, but when I worked on stuff from back there, I wanted to hurl.
Old 01-10-21, 12:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I asked my cross country coach in high school what I was suppose to do if I had to pee or poo while in a race. He said to just let it happen and keep running. That’s the day discovered winning isn’t everything.
Pretty common for football players to do that.
Old 01-10-21, 12:35 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts

Advice?
easy peazy, no problem. Get a master link too.
Old 01-10-21, 12:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Buy a pack of quick links.
Is the beef jerky with the 'Saquatch' commercials?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-10-21, 12:41 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by genejockey
Is the beef jerky with the 'Saquatch' commercials?
Jack links
Old 01-10-21, 12:47 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My dad was a rabid Dodgers fan, and once took me and my brother to a Dodgers games at Ebbets field. The Polo Grounds where the baseball Giants played was closer so we went there a few times. I became a Yankees fan because that's where my little league coach took us. It was walking distance, as was the Polo Grounds, from where I grew up.

I currently don't live too far from Newburgh, I wonder where they played, I can only think of one semi-suitable location for a pro team.
That was all back around 1955, right after the earth cooled enough for baseball players to evolve. The field was a block or two off Broadway and it likely to be gone now. I get back to my home town maybe once a year and other than Broadway, I remember only Liberty St. and Water St. I used to ride the NY Central into Manhattan after high school when the ferry was still in service. My niece who still lives in the area tells me the ferry has been reinstated.
Old 01-10-21, 12:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Speaking of, I’ve often wondered what people do when they have to pee mid-ride. On country roads there are always places, and in urban areas there are as well. On the other hand, we have a 10 mile out and back MUP that gets a lot of cyclists. While wooded, there is really no place to hop off that offers privacy from other riders. And in this day you don’t want to be accused of exposing yourself. Not sure what you would do out there if you really had to go.
Last Sunday, having missed my hypertension meds - including a diuretic - two days in a row, I decided to take them BEFORE my ride instead of after. I NEVER have to pee during a ride, but I had to stop twice on that one. Luckily, at just the right time I was passing the Pulgas Water Temple on Canada Road, where there are a couple Jiffy Johns for folks visiting the site.

Water Temple - seemed appropriate.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-10-21, 12:52 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Speaking of chain replacements, I’m getting ready to replace the chain (on usps’s mercy for when I can of course).

I have hollow pins, and the chain I ordered comes with a master/quick link. My thinking is, the quick link goes in the saddle bag for roadside emergencies, and I use a quick link to set the chain. Question is, how do I break the pin without damaging the pin that stays inside the chain?

Also, I remember reading some people using one of the pins out of the discarded links, is that a viable option should I destroy all the connecting pins in the attempt?
Old 01-10-21, 01:07 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Speaking of chain replacements, I’m getting ready to replace the chain (on usps’s mercy for when I can of course).

I have hollow pins, and the chain I ordered comes with a master/quick link. My thinking is, the quick link goes in the saddle bag for roadside emergencies, and I use a quick link to set the chain. Question is, how do I break the pin without damaging the pin that stays inside the chain?

Also, I remember reading some people using one of the pins out of the discarded links, is that a viable option should I destroy all the connecting pins in the attempt?
Pins are single use. The front piece that you snap off is like an alignment tool. Once its gone no way to reuse the pin.. Thats why I use master links. Unless you have a chain tool a master link won't help you on a roadside breakdown.
Likes For ls01:
Old 01-10-21, 01:10 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There is German woman in the bike club here, married to a former US soldier. On one ride we happen to be riding together when I hollered out bathroom break and stepped into the woods 'till out of sight of the road. When we got going again she said when European men have to pee, they stop and pee and this is evidently normal. She did not say what ladies do in a similar situation.
Old 01-10-21, 01:23 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I just find a place to go on the side of the road, can get creative with the bib yank down
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-10-21, 01:32 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Fixed and same.
Traitor.
Old 01-10-21, 01:45 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by berner
That was all back around 1955, right after the earth cooled enough for baseball players to evolve. The field was a block or two off Broadway and it likely to be gone now. I get back to my home town maybe once a year and other than Broadway, I remember only Liberty St. and Water St. I used to ride the NY Central into Manhattan after high school when the ferry was still in service. My niece who still lives in the area tells me the ferry has been reinstated.
You probably heard about the waterfront development then, really nice collection of restaurants that draws folks even from outside the Hudson Valley. I'm afraid to think about how it will fare coming through this pandemic.

There's a community recreation center on Rte 32 and two blocks south of Broadway that I'm confident was probably the baseball site, Delano Hitch park.
Old 01-10-21, 02:11 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Yes.

Hopefully, enough thread locker stayed on the threads or you could find yourself on your hands and knees searching for parts in the middle of a 60 mile ride. Not that I would know anything about it.

Old 01-10-21, 02:20 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Back to the getting dressed for winter riding discussion, I loaded my bike in the car and went back inside for a quick salad. I then set all of my clothes out in perfect order and proceeded to get dressed with my not-bib tights last because of the earlier discussion about peeing which I did have to do, BTW. So, all is well and I open the garage door and there is a 1/4"+ of fresh snow on the drive and it's still snowing.

Undressed and hit the trainer which wasn't all bad because I got to climb a couple iconic Spring classic climbs, the Bosberg and the Muur van Geraardsbergen on FulGaz.

Old 01-10-21, 02:24 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13643 Post(s)
Liked 4,451 Times in 2,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Attempted triggering.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-10-21, 02:32 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
I was going to go for a ride this afternoon after doing stupid Zwift this AM, but it only “feels like” 16 and it’s Sunday afternoon. Maybe tomorrow...
Old 01-10-21, 02:39 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts

Nice new backcountry hut.
Went for a nice tramp on the weekend. We stayed* at a recently opened hut. It is flash: it has solar powered LED lighting.

*I slept in a hammock in the trees rather than actually sleep in the new hut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.