Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It really is the engine

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

It really is the engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 07:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I don't think you're getting pushback on the gear side of the thread - it's really the PR on a group ride thing.
I have a flat sprint segment near my house. It's 1 mi. and relatively flat. I like to track my seasonal progress using it as a marker. I also have a guy about my age (73) that I check because we have similar PBs and it's a little incentive for me. I have no idea who this guy is. Just a name on Strava. This year I set a PB at 24.6 mph which was about .4 mph faster than his. The other day I saw that his PB had jumped to 25.6 mph. I was impressed. Then I saw that he had ridden on the wheel of two other guys. So now I'm chasing a guy who is drafting. Just another incentive.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-17-19, 10:33 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The obvious has been stated. Certainly dealing with youth the thought that they have the best stuff is worth more than having near the best stuff.
I believe the older logical people share that same trait.
Old 06-18-19, 08:30 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
When I do the “A” ride, I can’t hang on riding my cross bike with 32mm slicks. I can just do it on my road bike with 25mm tires and a racier group.
Old 06-18-19, 09:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
A slapping your own back AND show off your bike thread all in one? Killing 2 birds with one stone. That's efficiency right there folks! It really is the engine. Perfect thread for the 41. Now all we need to know is if you gave the other riders "the look" while you were racking up those PRs. Did you dial it up to 400 watts?

Last edited by seypat; 06-18-19 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 11:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
A slapping your own back AND show off your bike thread all in one? Killing 2 birds with one stone. That's efficiency right there folks! It really is the engine. Perfect thread for the 41. Now all we need to know is if you gave the other riders "the look" while you were racking up those PRs. Did you dial it up to 400 watts?
Isn't efficiency the key to going fast??

No "look", I prefer to sing, or whistle a lively tune as I'm setting PRs, really helps break the other rider's confidence.

Set a climbing segment PR on Monday, Strava says 758w, must be true, it's on Strava.