Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for commuting?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 03-19-20, 03:48 AM
nicole.c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm thinking of getting an ebike for commuting to work after the covid situation is over. Any recommendations on what brands and price range?
Thanks!
Likes For nicole.c:
Old 03-19-20, 07:31 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
It helps to know whether your commute is hilly & windy or flat and calm, as well as whether the roads are well maintained etc. As noted in other posts, look at Radpower for a mid-range quality bike in the $1500 range. You can convert a bike if you're handy for < $1000. IMO, don't procure a super-cheap bike from Amazon or Walmart or purchase used unless you can't afford better although some individuals have had success.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-19-20, 08:40 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
It depends what you want, if you are looking for something simple t commute on, or if the ebike is its own game. That said, the previous post nails it, we need more information: distance, conditions, and the like.

I am pretty sold on mid-drive for commuting. There are both mid-drive bikes, they have the advantage of being "cleaner" than home builds like mine. If I were purchasing a pre-built for commuting I would probably get one of these.

To add, no, I do not work for Bikes Direct. I just happen to think that they offer good value. Yes, the "Compare to MSRP" is a bit silly, but it seems to be his shtick.

From here: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...wholesale.html

From here: Save Up to 60% Off eBikes LTD QTYS of these 29er eBikes Electric Adventure Hybrid Urban/City bikes 2020 Motobecane Elite eUrban with Shimano E5000 / E6010M Electric MidDrive 29er Front Suspension Mountain eBikes Shimano M6000 Hydraulic Disc Brakes Ad

Last edited by Robert C; 03-19-20 at 08:43 AM.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 03-19-20, 09:21 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
yes more info is needed. I have a bulls crossmover speed and it has been a great bike I get at least 120 miles a week on it https://propelbikes.com/product/bull...BoCscQQAvD_BwE
Old 03-19-20, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I would try the Specialized Como 4.0 or Como 5.0. Very comfortable, upright and can fit racks front and rear. One of our shops top sellers and one of my favorites in that category. They also make the Vado which is less upright more like a hybrid and has a rack included.
Old 03-20-20, 04:28 AM
nicole.c

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations guys. The commute is hilly but not windy and roads are well maintained I will check out the recommendations above and read more about it. Thanks!
Old 03-20-20, 07:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Also if you're interested in the technology, look at ebikesca; their tutorials (tools, AIR) are very informative. If the hills are relatively steep, consider a mid-drive. A good rule of thumb is you need to maintain a speed of half the maximum uphill on a hub drive or too much electrical energy is being converted to heat which can damage the engine.

Last edited by 2old; 03-20-20 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-22-20, 04:23 AM
nicole.c

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Also if you're interested in the technology, look at ebikesca; their tutorials (tools, AIR) are very informative. If the hills are relatively steep, consider a mid-drive. A good rule of thumb is you need to maintain a speed of half the maximum uphill on a hub drive or too much electrical energy is being converted to heat which can damage the engine.
Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-22-20, 06:51 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Ebike Commuting

How many miles will you be commuting? I would recommend a Trek Verve 2+ It's a mid drive which is good on hills, has good range, suspension seat post, 700 mm tires, a rack and lights. Another bike that I would recommend is the Yamaha Cross Core or Yamaha Cross Connect for the same reasons. I started commuting last year, and commute on relatively flat terrain. I have both a mid drive bike and a hub driven one. My commute is about 12 miles one way so the hub drive works well for me. I have lost about 25 lbs, and feel better when I cycle to work. I started out on a regular bike(45 min, 110min), then switch to an ebike to get more consistent travel times(45 min, 50 min). My commute is on the road and bike trails. I live in Denver and don't look back.

I started my ebike commuting on a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide IE, This year I purchased a Blix Aveny for $1600. The one inch difference in rim diameter makes a big difference. Good luck to you.

2017 Raleigh Retroglide IE

2020 Blix Aveny with basket

Trek Verve 2+ Test ride

Last edited by alloo; 03-22-20 at 07:23 AM. Reason: To add pictures.
Likes For alloo:
Old 03-22-20, 08:16 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
While it may fit some people, it's worth noting that the Moto's effective top tube length looks fairly short.

This may be comfortable enough with flat bars this way, but anyone who's already partial to swept-back bars - e.g., North Roads, Nitto Albatross, mustache bars, etc - may find it difficult to get a good fit on a frame like this, even with a fairly long stem.

-Kurt

Old 03-22-20, 09:05 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
While it may fit some people, it's worth noting that the Moto's effective top tube length looks fairly short.

This may be comfortable enough with flat bars this way, but anyone who's already partial to swept-back bars - e.g., North Roads, Nitto Albatross, mustache bars, etc - may find it difficult to get a good fit on a frame like this, even with a fairly long stem.

-Kurt
I certainly understand your point, I was looking at the question from a "ready to use" point. Yes, some bikes are more suitable for certain modifications than others. I ended up building my commuter e-bike, but I recognise that not all riders want to go that route.
Old 03-22-20, 09:14 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I certainly understand your point, I was looking at the question from a "ready to use" point. Yes, some bikes are more suitable for certain modifications than others. I ended up building my commuter e-bike, but I recognise that not all riders want to go that route.
Of course - no criticism of your choices, of course. I usually view the bars and saddle as fluid though, even if the rider is seeking something suitable straight out of the box. Given enough time, I figure many seeking something "ready to use" at the moment will eventually want "something more comfortable" after acclimating to their new machine.

Granted, the stars may align for absolute perfection from the start, but how often does that happen?

-Kurt

Old 03-22-20, 08:53 PM
LeoBoon

Bikes: RiH randonneur 1983 - RIH Sport 1977 - Marinoni 1986 - Rih special 1978 - Marin Verona carbon 2016 - Rocky Mountain Equippe - Trek 970 SingleTrack MTB - Kuwahara

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Have you thought of where you are going to park the bike at work and at home. Almost all of the e-bikes are slightly longer than most bikes. And they are a hot item for thieves. It is one of the highest stolen items in most jurisdiction SO hopefully you have arranged good safe parking. What is the terrain like. Without given away your address what is the general area you are travelling in.

LB
Likes For LeoBoon: