Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Versatility

Old 05-27-20, 05:51 AM
FireflyFan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Versatility

I am looking for some advice. I currently have 2 bikes, a road bike and a hybrid. Both are the same manufacturer. I am trying to figure out which bike is the most versatile so I can get ride of the other as I am trying to downsize stuff. I don’t need both unless/until I get more into biking. When that happens I can look at getting a more specific bike to what I want to do in terms of riding.

My assumption is that the hybrid would be more versatile. Can anyone give me feedback/suggestions as to what to consider when deciding which bike to keep? Or which one is the most versatile and why?

Thank you.
Old 05-27-20, 06:20 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
The bike you ride the most is the most versatile.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-27-20, 06:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Get rid of a bike? It does not compute.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-27-20, 06:31 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Too bad you can't post pics yet. We could have a bike beauty contest. I love a good bike pageant

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-27-20, 07:05 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by FireflyFan
I am looking for some advice. I currently have 2 bikes, a road bike and a hybrid. Both are the same manufacturer. I am trying to figure out which bike is the most versatile so I can get ride of the other as I am trying to downsize stuff. I don’t need both unless/until I get more into biking. When that happens I can look at getting a more specific bike to what I want to do in terms of riding.

My assumption is that the hybrid would be more versatile. Can anyone give me feedback/suggestions as to what to consider when deciding which bike to keep? Or which one is the most versatile and why?

Thank you.
Only you can answer this.
Old 05-27-20, 07:40 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
IN GENERAL

a bike with clearance for wider tires and/or fenders is more versatile than one that can only fit narrow tires and no fenders. Road bikes often have no capacity to fit tires over 25mm of width, and often fenders will not fit. Also, many road bikes don't have mounts for a rack, and a rack makes a bike into a truly versatile tool.

I would think the hybrid is most likely to have the features required to be 'versatile'.

But you never told us which bike you prefer riding. All the little details about which accessories you can fit are meaningless if the one that looks best on paper makes your back hurt or otherwise makes you miserable when you ride it.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 05-27-20, 07:51 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts

Thank you.
Doesn't make much sense to me. As has been said, hybrid is the more versatile of the two. But why get rid of the road bike, if you still plan to get a more specific bike in the future - you already have one versatile and one specific bike. If you were to decide biking is not your thing, you could then get rid of both.
Old 05-27-20, 10:18 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Thank you.
get rid of both and get a gravel bike, put whatever tires on it you need for your environment/needs