Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Burley vs Wike, both flatbed trailers

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.
View Poll Results: Which is the winner?
Burley
66.67%
Wike
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-19, 02:17 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts

Here are the contestants.
. Burley.

Wike.
Old 12-12-19, 10:02 PM
Ballenxj

So far it appears Wike is in the lead by.............. 1?
Old 12-13-19, 02:26 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I vote for Burley mainly because it’s made in the USA. For heavy hauling cargo trailers I like Bikes At Work trailers the best.

https://www.bikesatwork.com/
Old 12-13-19, 10:17 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by tim24k
I vote for Burley mainly because it’s made in the USA. For heavy hauling cargo trailers I like Bikes At Work trailers the best.

https://www.bikesatwork.com/
The Bikes at work trailers are nice, but pricey at three to four times the cost of either Burley or Wike.
Old 12-13-19, 05:39 PM
Ballenxj

Now it's a tie, 1 & 1.
Old 12-14-19, 11:37 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I like Wike because they sell a customizable kit which allows you to build it any size and proportions you like. Choose your own materials.

Comes with 20” wheels. Unfortunately they are only single wall but you’re not going to be using high psi tires on a trailer so some good rim tape should suffice.

I hate Burley because their hardware is a mix of aluminum alloy and zinc steel so over time they rust/react chemically against one another, and once corroded become absolutely impossible to separate. Means that by the time you need to replace any worn out components it will be too late.
Old 12-18-19, 04:12 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
I hate Burley because their hardware is a mix of aluminum alloy and zinc steel so over time they rust/react chemically against one another, and once corroded become absolutely impossible to separate. Means that by the time you need to replace any worn out components it will be too late.
That’s odd, I own two Burley trailers one for eleven years and one for over twenty years, without any of the corrosion you talk about. But then I keep my bikes and equipment in side and do not leave them out side in the weather. I also keep them clean and oiled. If you ride or live next to salt water you have to be on top of your cleaning and maintenance. If not everything goes bad in a hurry.
Old 12-18-19, 05:59 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I had a Wike kids trailer and I currently have a Burly Nomad cargo trailer. I liked the fit and finished of the Wike better.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 04-25-20 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-23-20, 11:48 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
I would definitely go with the Wike. Well built and backed by great customer service. I had a Burley and I didn't like it as well.
I also really like the look of the Cycletote trailers too but no experience.

I was going to post a pic of my Wike but apparently I don't have one, posted a pic of my Bikes At Work instead.
Likes For trailmix:
Old 04-28-20, 03:01 AM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Have had a burley flatbed for over 20 years. It was my dogs trailer and grocery getter. She passed in ‘13 and the trailer hasn’t gotten much use since tho. My bob ibex it the go to trailer. What I’ve learned over the years tho is to keep an eye out for used trailers. Craig’s list, the blessing and a curse place....seems to have trailers in my area consistently and some people are just not meant to have trailers. The buy them, use them once or twice and then sell them a year or 2 later. They are the kind of people I can’t even see on a bike let alone pulling a trailer.

So I guess to answer your question, Burley. Or maybe a wike.😜
Old 05-30-20, 01:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Exclamation it's not the same

I own a *Burly, (not a Burley ) .. Flat bed..

*Burly was a worker-owned Co Op . It went under in a bankruptcy..

Burley Imports their products made on the Pac Rim, not the US side of it.
You can have a US Company distributing every thing made for them, in other countries..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-30-20 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 11:38 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
This thread is great timing, I was about to post the question I have indented. I am curious about the ability of the WIKE kit to hold up over extended use. I have a Nomad that is sitting unused and I was thinking of using the lower frame to build my trailer (I do not recommend the Nomad, but not because of the frame).
I am looking for Trailer thoughts.

As I frequently tout my “never plugin” ebike tour, I also point out that next time I will build it differently. Next time is slowly arriving. I am in the process of rigging my RotoVelo. This time my plan is to put the Solar Panels on a trailer.

Overall, the longest thing, the panels is a bit over 7’ (210cm). In all, when moving, I expect the trailer to have 40-50 lbs (18-22Kg) on it. When not moving, it may weigh a lot more.

I want to put a hinge on the panels. This is to allow me to capture the morning sun better while I am still in camp. By comparison, last time they were fixed in a flat position. This is relevant because I keep thinking that if I tilt the panels I will have two sides of the triangle, the floor being the other. If I put some coroplast between the tilt supports I will then have three sides. I think you can see where I am going, a substitute for a tent.

Obviously, if I am using it as a caravan, when I am in it, it is going to weigh a lot more than its road weight. My intent is to use some hinged supports, used as landing gear, to swing down at night, taking the weight off the road wheels.

Now to the trailer. I have looked at Surly and Bikes at Work. They both look great for my purpose. However, they are a bit expensive. Of the two I like the hitch on the Surly a bit better (if it will work on a RotoVelo).

Other trailers under consideration include striping all of the covering off of a Burley Nomad and building on it, just as a comment, I give the Burley Nomad a total thumbs down for use as a cargo trailer. However, the frame may be useful for this project. Even better, I already have it.

The other thought is the WIKE trailer kit. They claim a 150lbs / 68kg weight limit, but I worry about the ability of the plastic axle housing to hold up to extended use. I would definitely need to set the landing gear whenever I am actually in the trailer.

The other thought is to build on the Aosom trailer or a Burley flatbed. I have two Burley Flatbeds (total thumbs up on those). I am confident of the Burley Flatbed’s ability to hold up on the road. However, it will be a very different trailer once I modify it to hold the panels.

I am open to other thoughts on trailers.

Old 06-02-20, 11:51 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by Robert C
This thread is great timing, I was about to post the question I have indented. I am curious about the ability of the WIKE kit to hold up over extended use. I have a Nomad that is sitting unused and I was thinking of using the lower frame to build my trailer (I do not recommend the Nomad, but not because of the frame).
I am looking for Trailer thoughts.

As I frequently tout my “never plugin” ebike tour, I also point out that next time I will build it differently. Next time is slowly arriving. I am in the process of rigging my RotoVelo. This time my plan is to put the Solar Panels on a trailer.

Overall, the longest thing, the panels is a bit over 7’ (210cm). In all, when moving, I expect the trailer to have 40-50 lbs (18-22Kg) on it. When not moving, it may weigh a lot more.

I want to put a hinge on the panels. This is to allow me to capture the morning sun better while I am still in camp.
So will you flatten them both out to give both a perpendicular angle to the Sun? And yeah, if you're going to use the trailer as a shelter, landing gear are a good idea. I didn't know the Wike had a plastic axle? That might make a difference in decisions made. At this point you might consider having the whole trailer custom purpose built. Might even save you some money by building it right the first time.
Old 06-02-20, 12:10 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
So will you flatten them both out to give both a perpendicular angle to the Sun? And yeah, if you're going to use the trailer as a shelter, landing gear are a good idea. I didn't know the Wike had a plastic axle? That might make a difference in decisions made. At this point you might consider having the whole trailer custom purpose built. Might even save you some money by building it right the first time.
Right, they will both fold in, with the coroplast under the panels and the solar panels laying flat when going down the road. This would provide power when moving.

The basic idea, solar panels providing the power for the assist motor is something I have done in the past. For all intents and purposes, that part is pretty well worked out.

As far as the Wike trailer using plastic to hold the axles, that is what it looks like here. I am hoping someone will put my mind at ease as far as the ability of the Wike trailer to hold up.
Old 06-02-20, 12:30 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by Robert C
Right, they will both fold in, with the coroplast under the panels and the solar panels laying flat when going down the road. This would provide power when moving.

The basic idea, solar panels providing the power for the assist motor is something I have done in the past. For all intents and purposes, that part is pretty well worked out.

As far as the Wike trailer using plastic to hold the axles, that is what it looks like here. I am hoping someone will put my mind at ease as far as the ability of the Wike trailer to hold up.
Interesting, you might contact Wike with your question about axles. They might even do a custom build for you at additional expense.
A question to you, will you be using Lithium batteries for their light weight, or lead acid for their being a lot less expensive? How many watts per solar panel? Will you be using a charge controller?