Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are Aluminum Crank Spindles Durable as the a Steel Spindle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 03:25 PM
SuperPershing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im planning to buy a new Crank which is a Vision Track Crankset. And im going to use it in training and mostly in commute ride. (since covid isnt going away for a long time, here in my country). So are Aluminum Crank Spindles Durable as the a Steel Spindle? like would it grind or degrade like if i used the everyday in my commute or training? And my only bike is my racing bike so probably use that in every case.

Thanks for the Answer in advance!

My Former Crank, Sram Omnium with a CrMo Spindle. Durable af. to races and commute to bombing hills.

Vision Track Crankset with a 7075-T6 Alu Spindle
Old 10-10-20, 05:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...the majority of the wear in a crank bottom bracket unit is experienced by the bearings and the surfaces they contact. My guess would be your bearing contact surfaces on the new crank are steel, and probably case hardened steel at that. So not much difference if that's the case. But having said that, there is simply no way to make something like a crank spindle out of aluminum alloy that will be as bomb proof as steel.

As you are aware , it's a high stress area on the bike, with a lot of force applied through the pedals and crank arms to the spindle. Personally, I would not buy any aluminum alloy crank spindle, because the weight saving reward is not worth the accompanying risks of failure.
Old 10-10-20, 06:04 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Personally, I would not buy any aluminum alloy crank spindle, because the weight saving reward is not worth the accompanying risks of failure.
+1. The Vision is a track crank and expected to be used only on Velodromes, not for routine road riding. I would buy a crank with a steel spindle for durability and long fatigue life. This is particularly true if you are going to commute on that bike and it will be subject to bad conditions and wet weather.
Old 10-11-20, 09:57 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I can’t make any assumptions about strength comparisons, because I am sure the geometry of the spindle is different between the two.

What would concern me is the possibility of using the bike for commuting, ie. inclement weather. An aluminum shaft pressed into a steel bearing and being blasted with road spray might not last long.
Old 10-12-20, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. They have engineers that design them to withstand the expected forces for the duration of their expected lifetime. You fly in an aluminum airplane don't you?

Now if you are going for a no-name crankset maker all bets are off regardless if it's steel or aluminum.
Old 10-12-20, 10:50 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Iride01
They have engineers that design them to withstand the expected forces for the duration of their expected lifetime. You fly in an aluminum airplane don't you?
What is the "expected lifetime" of a track crank? 500 miles, 1000 miles? I expect a crank to last 50,000+ miles under all conditions and, so far, all of mine have. An aluminum airplane is a poor analogy unless you have a large team of skilled mechanics and inspectors going over your bike every few hundred operating hours.
Old 10-12-20, 11:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by HillRider
What is the "expected lifetime" of a track crank? 500 miles, 1000 miles? I expect a crank to last 50,000+ miles under all conditions and, so far, all of mine have. An aluminum airplane is a poor analogy unless you have a large team of skilled mechanics and inspectors going over your bike every few hundred operating hours.
Wow, I'm impressed. You have no bikes with less than 50,000 miles on them.

I just believe that any name brand manufacturer making a crank will design it to last as long as is normal for that type crank to last whether it is aluminum, steel or cookie dough.

The airplane wasn't intended to be a analogy. Just a response to a perceived fear of the OP that aluminum is weaker than steel. Besides, many airplanes are still flying well beyond their expected life. And despite your belief, they don't get an inspection over every square inch of their structure. Usually just if it looks good it is good. Only the parts that are known or suspected to have issues get detailed attention.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-12-20, 11:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Not sure whether you're arguing for or against the use of aluminum in your example. Perhaps a better analogy would be to aluminum track bike rims, handlebars, and stems. They undergo substantial stress and clearly have low failure rates or else they wouldn't have been the standard choice for decades.
Old 10-12-20, 04:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I wouldn't worry about it. They have engineers that design them to withstand the expected forces for the duration of their expected lifetime. You fly in an aluminum airplane don't you?
I just believe that any name brand manufacturer making a crank will design it to last as long as is normal for that type crank to last whether it is aluminum, steel or cookie dough.

..are you implying you know this expected lifetime thing for this product ? What is normal for this, exactly ?
Old 10-12-20, 04:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Not sure whether you're arguing for or against the use of aluminum in your example. Perhaps a better analogy would be to aluminum track bike rims, handlebars, and stems. They undergo substantial stress and clearly have low failure rates or else they wouldn't have been the standard choice for decades.
...which is pretty much what has made steel the standard choice for these spindles for decades. Any weight saving on any bicycle component I've encountered in life usually comes with a trade off in durability. If aluminum alloy spindles were such a wonderful materials choice, I have to wonder why they've taken so long to catch on.

As you say, the material itself has been around and in use on bikes for a long time now. It's very mysterious. What could possibly be the reason ?
Old 10-12-20, 05:35 PM
HillRider

Wow, I'm impressed. You have no bikes with less than 50,000 miles on them.
Yeah, I've had and have bikes with less than 50,000 miles on them but I currently have three bikes with more, in one case a lot more, than 50,000 miles each.

Agree 100% but is what the manufacturer considers a normal lifetime the same as the OP does? As 3alarmer noted, steel has been the material of choice for crank spindles for decades with almost no exceptions.

The airplane wasn't intended to be a analogy. Just a response to a perceived fear of the OP that aluminum is weaker than steel. Besides, many airplanes are still flying well beyond their expected life. And despite your belief, they don't get an inspection over every square inch of their structure. Usually just if it looks good it is good. Only the parts that are known or suspected to have issues get detailed attention.
First, aluminum is weaker than steel, it's advantage is light weight, not strength. For many applications that trumps the loss in strength but not everywhere. Also beyond their expected service life, aircraft parts get replaced. The B-52 has been in military service since 1955 but the ones still flying have had nearly every part replace, sometimes several times.
Old 10-12-20, 05:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
As you say, the material itself has been around and in use on bikes for a long time now. It's very mysterious. What could possibly be the reason ?
Easy---standardization, or as close as the bike industry every came to it. All BB spindles had been essentially the same diameter since the 1880s. Even when companies such as Campagnolo ventured into using titanium for BB spindles (and pedal axles), they maintained the same diameters that had been used for the steel parts, resulting in many failures in use, given the comparative weakness of titanium in that application.

It's understandable that some people would question the use of aluminum for a BB spindle (although some of them are also likely to refer to titanium as a "lifetime" frame material, despite abundant evidence to the contrary), but, given the large diameter of the spindle in question, I'm not one of them.
Old 10-12-20, 07:51 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Easy---standardization, or as close as the bike industry every came to it. All BB spindles had been essentially the same diameter since the 1880s. Even when companies such as Campagnolo ventured into using titanium for BB spindles (and pedal axles), they maintained the same diameters that had been used for the steel parts, resulting in many failures in use, given the comparative weakness of titanium in that application.

It's understandable that some people would question the use of aluminum for a BB spindle (although some of them are also likely to refer to titanium as a "lifetime" frame material, despite abundant evidence to the contrary), but, given the large diameter of the spindle in question, I'm not one of them.
...you understand that both of the aluminum components you gave as examples, bars and wheel rims, are now both widely available with stress points reinforced with steel, right ? Thus we have decades of aluminum alloy bars with a reinforcing collar where the stem clamps them, and wheel rims with the spoke drillings reinforced with steel eyelets.

Why and how do you suppose that those design modifications evolved ?
Old 10-12-20, 09:48 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts

Now if you are going for a no-name crankset maker all bets are off regardless if it's steel or aluminum.
"Aluminum airplanes" have a lot of steel parts...
Old 10-13-20, 05:53 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@SuperPershing - To answer your questions, no and don't know. Any good engineer will tell you that steel is the more durable material either with or without the corrosion issue. Which to use in your intended purpose is a different question.

Without a good set of data, including stress analysis report, along with projected life and MTBF, I can not offer a definitive answer. I don't think anyone could. Having been exposed to mechanical design, failure analysis, quality management and practiced risk management, I would recommend steel.
After all "steel is real" in this scenario.
If there is data to show that AL is a durable and reliable alternative in this application, I might be persuaded to consider AL as an alternative. A good demonstration would be touring around the world with one.
Old 10-13-20, 06:45 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I would happily use an aluminum spindle on a two-piece crank. The only accelerant of wear would be not replacing your BB bearings. The bearings are made of case hardened steel and will munch right through the relatively soft aluminum in short order.
Old 10-13-20, 08:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

First, aluminum is weaker than steel, it's advantage is light weight, not strength. For many applications that trumps the loss in strength but not everywhere. Also beyond their expected service life, aircraft parts get replaced. The B-52 has been in military service since 1955 but the ones still flying have had nearly every part replace, sometimes several times.
I was thinking more of the planes from the 1940's and 1950's that are regularly flown today. Some as simple as a Cessna 140 or Aircoupe that are very likely at airports near you. They only have to get an inspection once a year. And it's only a visual inspection for most of the airframe that can be seen. Much of the internal structure cannot be seen. Although key places have inspection panels that are removed for one to view.

Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Aluminum airplanes" have a lot of steel parts...
Yes they do. When I was helping the mechanic at the airport back in the 70's, we were tossing out steel parts and replacing them quite often. Steel bearings and races for aluminum wheels, all the steel screws we removed from inspection panels were replaced with new. Steel push rods for control surfaces had to be replaced sometimes. Much more steel was replaced than aluminum from what I remember.

To get back to what the OP is asking. We'd have to know what durable is to them. To me that implies wear. And two piece crank spindles simply do not experience wear. they go through a bearing assembly and part of that rotates with the spindle and it is what gets the wear.

If durability means breakage from sheer and bending forces, then again, don't you think the engineers will have designed it to meet all the forces expected to be put on it?

If durability means longevity, then once again, for the purpose of that part I'm sure it's close enough to steel spindles used in two piece cranks. After all, the Vison Track is a solid forged aluminum spindle. The steel spindles on two piece cranks are typically hollow.
Old 10-13-20, 10:58 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Anecdote alert:

I have bent a Hope crank axle by slamming it into a rock with significant forward velocity. If I had a crankset with a steel axle I might have bent the crank arm instead. Lots of Downhill MTB riders have smashed carbon cranks. I have carbon on my road bikes and on the tandem and I don't worry a bit about smashing them.

Do I worry that the aluminum axle on the Hope crank will fail due to fatigue? No. I will bend it again long before that happens. Now, if it was a Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra crank arm... but I also worry that if I go to Florida the ground will open up and swallow me!
Old 10-13-20, 11:23 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
The spindle supports the rider weight and contacts the BB bearings, which are moving parts.

Aluminium is softer, steel is harder. An aluminium spindle is way softer than the bearings it contacts.

I have no experience with aluminium spindles, but my guess is that they're lighter and less durable.
Old 10-13-20, 01:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bearings don't touch the spindle of a two piece crank as the OP is asking about. Only a part of the bearing assembly that holds the race for the bearings. This assembly is turning the same RPM as the spindle. What aspect of durability is being affected by the difference of steel vs aluminum?
Old 10-13-20, 07:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bearings don't touch the spindle of a two piece crank as the OP is asking about. Only a part of the bearing assembly that holds the race for the bearings. This assembly is turning the same RPM as the spindle. What aspect of durability is being affected by the difference of steel vs aluminum?
Summary:

1. Steel versus aluminum can be compared by using the parameters of strength, weight, yielding and magnetic properties.

2. Steel strength over aluminum is almost the same, but steel is three times heavier than aluminum.

3. Steel has a preserving quality, even after thousands of load cycles, but aluminum will fatigue and destroy.

4. Aluminum has more malleability over steel, as it has more bending density compared with the density of steel.

5. Aluminum is nonmagnetic and deflective, whereas steel has rebounding qualities and is easier to weld.
Difference Between Steel and Aluminum | Difference Between
Old 10-14-20, 03:00 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I've seen wear in steel spindles in the area they contact the bearings. Some times because the bearings seized without the rider knowing it. Others because there's an imperceptible amount of play between the bearing and the spindle which wears the spindle over lots and lots of miles.

I've never seen a spindle so worn that it couldn't be used though. To be honest, I assume an aluminium spindle will work perfectly for 99.99% of cyclists, but in extreme, and probably unrealistic conditions, it will probably last less simply because the material is softer.

Then there's fatigue life. But as I said, 99.99% of people will be fine with it.

In any case, If I could choose, I'd prefer a steel spindle.
Old 10-18-20, 09:25 PM
SuperPershing

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all guys for these wonderful responses! I have been reading all of your comments lately and the answer is simple, Steel is real. Just due to the fact that it is just legit durable, and me, no race season and probably gonna mash this crank in the streets every time like going to deliver this and that.

And with all that, I bought(again due to all of your conclusion) a Sram Omnium (Steel Spindle) with a FSA Chainring!

Again guys! thank you very much for all of your answers!