Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Groupset for Cyclocross frame

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 11:25 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts

Hi all.

I have a (not new) steel cyclocross frame (fairly nice one - True North Cycles) that I want to build up. Build for a bit of light trail riding, maybe some cyclocross racing, and double-duty as a road bike. I'm selling the road bike, as it's a little too small for me, and I never loved the frame anyway (old Specialized Allez)

It's not a disc compatible frame, which I'm fine with - though that knocks GRX out as an option. I want to stay 10 speed as I share a direct drive trainer with wife and kids, all bikes are 10sp, no plans to upgrade them all to 11sp.

What should I put on it for parts? I wanted to go Advent X, but can't find the drop bar shift levers anywhere.

I don't have my heart set on 1x or a clutch derailleur, just liked that one.

Options I've looked at:
Microshift M100 shifter with shimano MTB clutch derailleur, 11-42 rear. 1x, or 2x with a weird friction shift front
This is very close to the Advent X I was going to do if I could find it.
105 5700 shifters, 9sp MTB derailleur, 2x
Uses the shifters I was going to sell with the bike they're currently on, unfortunately.
Buy a new Tiagra 4700 group, 2x
Probably good for the road & trainer use - any opinions on road gearing off-road? I've done off-road riding with 38:27 as lowest gear, but probably want a little lower than I'd get off the hop with this.
What gearing should I be looking at?

Anyone with other suggestions or that knows someplace with Advent X drop bar levers in stock, love some input.

Thanks!

Last edited by Viich; 03-13-21 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-13-21, 11:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We built up my kid’s CX bike with Tiagra. 44-34 double with a 12-27 cassette. Works great. Excellent bang for the buck. Especially since people are practically giving away 10-speed rim brake wheels.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-18-21, 01:01 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

So - a buddy I ride with on Zwift gave me a very strong recommendation for SRAM 1x, so I ordered a Rival shifter and GX 2.1 derailleur. It's supposed to arrive today, though I have my doubts. Let you know how it goes.
Old 03-18-21, 01:09 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
So - a buddy I ride with on Zwift gave me a very strong recommendation for SRAM 1x, so I ordered a Rival shifter and GX 2.1 derailleur. It's supposed to arrive today, though I have my doubts. Let you know how it goes.

I have a similar setup, but mine is 2x with the GX 2.1 derailleur and it's been great!
Old 03-18-21, 03:19 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have SRAM 1x 11 Force on one of my CX bikes. It's a great groupset and works fantastic for CX racing, but that is a fairly specific use where dropped chains and mud buildup play a big role and make 1x a lot more appealing. 1x10 would probably work ok on a CX course, but for normal riding I think the gear jumps would be a little large and/or the range a bit too narrow.

I've actually debated converting my 1x Force to a 2x setup on that bike to make it more versatile outside of CX racing. I run a 42T 11-32 on that bike. My other 1x is a GRX setup currently with a 40T and 11-34. I prefer the 42T gearing because it gives me a little more top end.
Old 03-19-21, 06:05 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I have SRAM 1x 11 Force on one of my CX bikes. It's a great groupset and works fantastic for CX racing, but that is a fairly specific use where dropped chains and mud buildup play a big role and make 1x a lot more appealing. 1x10 would probably work ok on a CX course, but for normal riding I think the gear jumps would be a little large and/or the range a bit too narrow.

I've actually debated converting my 1x Force to a 2x setup on that bike to make it more versatile outside of CX racing. I run a 42T 11-32 on that bike. My other 1x is a GRX setup currently with a 40T and 11-34. I prefer the 42T gearing because it gives me a little more top end.
Most of my riding is on an Sturmey Archer 3 speed and I do BMX racing - I've no problem with low or high cadences.

I actually still don't have a left brake lever / shifter ordered, as apparently Jenson are prohibited from shipping the left lever to Canada. (but not the right one?!?)- I could just go 2x, I have a couple of nice 2x cranks.
Old 03-19-21, 06:20 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Most of my riding is on an Sturmey Archer 3 speed and I do BMX racing - I've no problem with low or high cadences.

I actually still don't have a left brake lever / shifter ordered, as apparently Jenson are prohibited from shipping the left lever to Canada. (but not the right one?!?)- I could just go 2x, I have a couple of nice 2x cranks.
I would start with 2x10. I had a 1x10 drivetrain on my Soma Double Cross. I used an 11-32 cassette with a 44t chainring. It was good enough on flat routes but I found myself walking the steepest climbs and unable to pedal above 30 mph. I installed a 12-27 cassette with a 50/34 crankset and got a tighter range and a useful cogs for climbing and descending.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-19-21 at 06:24 AM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 03-19-21, 06:48 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I've got a pair of Tektro RL340R levers and hoods I can mail out if needed.
Old 03-19-21, 07:43 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
XT 10spd cassette 11-40 combined with a compact double up front 50-34, makes a nice wide range. You can use a 9spd Shimano long cage mtn derailleur like LX or XT with a 10spd Shimano road shifter and everything works beautifully.

Or maybe that's just what I did.
Old 03-19-21, 08:39 PM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
XT 10spd cassette 11-40 combined with a compact double up front 50-34, makes a nice wide range. You can use a 9spd Shimano long cage mtn derailleur like LX or XT with a 10spd Shimano road shifter and everything works beautifully.

Or maybe that's just what I did.
Nice build - I considered that, but the SRAM works nice together too, and I was having trouble finding decent stuff used, there's a few guys doing a lot of builds and selling them over the past year, buying up a lot of the used parts that come up. Then right after I ordered, a 9sp XTR rear derailleur came up..... oh well. I think I'll like the SRAM stuff too, nice to try something new, I've only ever used 1 kind of integrated shifter, shimano 105 5700.
Old 03-19-21, 09:22 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Go with the tiagra, do a 50/34 or a different crank with 48/32 which is what I have on my cross and I'm very happy with it. Then run an 11-34 which the tiagra medium cage will run. Can run a GRX rear der if you want an 11-36 which is as big as most cross bikes get. That 48-11 isn't exactly a road race gear but with a 90 cadence you're still doing 30 so the gearing can still be competitive unless there's long, steep descents. I was running exactly this on my gravel bike to good effect when I used it for cross while waiting for a new cross frame.
Old 03-20-21, 09:24 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by Moisture
I've got a pair of Tektro RL340R levers and hoods I can mail out if needed.
Thank you very much for the offer! I've got a pretty healthy parts bin myself though.

Last edited by Viich; 03-20-21 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 09:37 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Go with the tiagra, do a 50/34 or a different crank with 48/32 which is what I have on my cross and I'm very happy with it. Then run an 11-34 which the tiagra medium cage will run. Can run a GRX rear der if you want an 11-36 which is as big as most cross bikes get. That 48-11 isn't exactly a road race gear but with a 90 cadence you're still doing 30 so the gearing can still be competitive unless there's long, steep descents. I was running exactly this on my gravel bike to good effect when I used it for cross while waiting for a new cross frame.
Thanks!
SRAM stuff should show up today. The tiagra I thought I was going to be able to get my hands on turned out to be a mirage anyway. Probably gets built up as a 1x to start, 2x if I can find myself a left hand shifter and I want the gearing. I like to tinker, every bike is a work in progress to me.

As far as a high gear, I'm pretty comfortable at 110-115 RPM for fairly long pulls, higher gear isn't a big concern for me.