Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Old 03-17-21, 03:23 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
My latest build project - a 1980 (as far as I can tell) Trek 510. Still need to get some proper cable clamps for the top tube and eventually I'd like to swap out the black wheelset for something similar in silver, but so far I'm liking it. Took it for a quick spin this morning and it fits and rides great.

Last edited by j_e_r_e_m_y; 03-17-21 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-18-21, 10:08 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by iFold
Thanks! She's in a heavyweight division, weighs around 13kg
What frame is that? Very interesting.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 03-18-21, 04:11 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
TugaDude iFold's bike in the pic is a Trek Sawyer - tried one out at a bike shop many moons ago, great ride
Likes For PIFFLE:
Old 03-18-21, 11:11 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Almost done!

Took out for maiden voyage. Developed separation (visible at 9 o'clock on rear wheel) on tubular. Don't know if it's deformed or just came unglued. Either way, new tubs and glue is in order. Took about a mile spin to get a sense of the ride. Still some adjustments and work to do!

Old 03-19-21, 06:01 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by PIFFLE
TugaDude iFold's bike in the pic is a Trek Sawyer - tried one out at a bike shop many moons ago, great ride
Thanks, I appreciate knowing that. It does look unique.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 03-19-21, 08:23 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Took out for maiden voyage. Developed separation (visible at 9 o'clock on rear wheel) on tubular. Don't know if it's deformed or just came unglued. Either way, new tubs and glue is in order. Took about a mile spin to get a sense of the ride. Still some adjustments and work to do!
Haven’t seen that front brake caliper fork mount solution before! Assume its to avoid drilling the original track fork? Who makes it? What’s your call on how well it works? Seems it should have 2 brackets for each leg with some separation to spread the forward torque when brake is applied....or does it work just fine as is?
Old 03-19-21, 08:35 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
My latest build project - a 1980 (as far as I can tell) Trek 510. Still need to get some proper cable clamps for the top tube and eventually I'd like to swap out the black wheelset for something similar in silver, but so far I'm liking it. Took it for a quick spin this morning and it fits and rides great.
80s Treks are great bikes. A silver wheelset would look lovely on that
Old 03-19-21, 08:37 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by Senrab62
That's a lovely green!

Are your new tubs gumwall or black? I think the former would complement those colors nicely, especially with the gold chain.
Old 03-20-21, 04:48 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts

That's a nifty rig with what appears to be a pretty hefty gear inch set up.
Old 03-20-21, 05:34 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Originally Posted by takenreasy
...my bet is the gearing is not that bad...looks like at least a 19 tooth in the back? In fact I’d guess (jeremy saying he built it up from spare parts) that he loved that cool looking front ring so much he went and bought a larger rear cog just to make it work...
Old 03-20-21, 05:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Haven’t seen that front brake caliper fork mount solution before! Assume its to avoid drilling the original track fork? Who makes it? What’s your call on how well it works? Seems it should have 2 brackets for each leg with some separation to spread the forward torque when brake is applied....or does it work just fine as is?
It's a "keirin brake," used by track riders when training on the road. They work ok, but are more likely to damage paint and/or dent fork blades than a caliper mounted through the fork crown. Japanese keirin riders use them because keirin rules are very strict about what is allowed on the track, and drilled forks are not allowed. If the rider doesn't have a separate bike for training, the keirin brake allows a brake to be mounted when needed and removed when not needed. IMO, unless you're a keirin rider, there's no compelling reason to avoid drilling your fork to mount a brake.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-21-21, 02:36 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
New bike day...a bunch of us at the shop have built these up.

Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-21-21, 02:43 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Who is generally buying these? I see single speeds at our LBS but I’ve never seen anyone walk one out.
Old 03-21-21, 02:57 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by takenreasy

Thanks! As for the gear inches, it's a 48x18 set up or 70.22gi, which has been my go-to gear for a while. It seems to work pretty well for most city/paved trail terrain around here and imo anything lower is annoyingly slow to accelerate from stops with.
Old 03-21-21, 07:20 PM
cxwrench

Who is generally buying these? I see single speeds at our LBS but I’ve never seen anyone walk one out.
At this point it's all shop guys. We do have some customers with some pretty crazy SS rigs though. Been a while since we've built/sold one.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-21-21, 07:22 PM
cxwrench

Thanks! As for the gear inches, it's a 48x18 set up or 70.22gi, which has been my go-to gear for a while. It seems to work pretty well for most city/paved trail terrain around here and imo anything lower is annoyingly slow to accelerate from stops with.
70" has been the classic gear in Marin forever. It's perfect for nearly everything. It's great when everyone in the group uses the same gear too.
Old 03-21-21, 08:30 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Single Speeds here in North Florida seem to have almost no value. I see nice bikes on our local CL and Facebook Mkt for under 200 ready to go. I've bought three so far and about to buy a Thomasini with a Brooks saddle for short money.

All I need is to see one worthy component on the bike that will justify even 50% of the price and I might go for it and sell what I don't want and put the rest in my parts stash.

I really don't get it either, in Fl the terrain is perfect for a fixed/single speed bike. I'm starting to use one of mine for my weekend distance rider, my Di2 Domane is gathering dust in my shop since I found a renewed interest in SS bikes.
Old 03-22-21, 06:35 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

​​​​​IAmSam helped, and I also scored a complete NOS version of the Dia Compe including pictured lever for $30 shipped (they usually run about $75+ shipped for the complete kit). The clamps from IamSam along with the kit made a fine solution. Only fine though.

it's one clamp per leg. This setup has numerous issues for me. I am large and strong-ish for an old man (200+), plus these are non machine sidewall rims. The braking is not perfect, but good enough for emergencies and to scrub speed, which is what I mainly need them for. I have mentioned before, 2 ACL reconstructions and started spending money on decent tires so no skid stops for Uncle Senrab Another thing to note, because of hows it's mounted, there is some fork flex under heavy braking. I am unsure if its because of the sidewall not being machined, weight, mounting, or all of the above? Likely the latter.

Eventually I would love one of the quill style set-ups that @IAmSam has, but w/new tubulars to buy and other projects that need parts and this being a viable solution for now and how I will ride this bike, it will have to wait.

Search "dia compe front track brake" or something, you will see them. They come as mounting plate/caliper or full kit as seen w/lever also.

Originally Posted by abshipp
That's a lovely green!

Are your new tubs gumwall or black? I think the former would complement those colors nicely, especially with the gold chain.
GUMWALLS!
Old 03-22-21, 08:21 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Originally Posted by bykemike
Single Speeds here in North Florida seem to have almost no value. I see nice bikes on our local CL and Facebook Mkt for under 200 ready to go. I've bought three so far and about to buy a Thomasini with a Brooks saddle for short money.

All I need is to see one worthy component on the bike that will justify even 50% of the price and I might go for it and sell what I don't want and put the rest in my parts stash.

I really don't get it either, in Fl the terrain is perfect for a fixed/single speed bike. I'm starting to use one of mine for my weekend distance rider, my Di2 Domane is gathering dust in my shop since I found a renewed interest in SS bikes.
Completely agree. There is almost an art to riding a fixie (or even a single speed) on a regular basis. I commuted work by fixie in Shanghai (flat as a tack—so guessing like Florida) for a 2 years and it would not have been half the adventure or mind-game that it was if I was on a multi-gear.
Old 03-22-21, 09:57 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
It's a "keirin brake," used by track riders when training on the road. They work ok, but are more likely to damage paint and/or dent fork blades than a caliper mounted through the fork crown. Japanese keirin riders use them because keirin rules are very strict about what is allowed on the track, and drilled forks are not allowed. If the rider doesn't have a separate bike for training, the keirin brake allows a brake to be mounted when needed and removed when not needed. IMO, unless you're a keirin rider, there's no compelling reason to avoid drilling your fork to mount a brake.
Funny you mention this: There is another thread in C&V regarding a track bike that appears to have fork damage from a Keirin fork mounted caliper similar to mine. That coupled with my experience with this setup w/some fork flex on my test ride has me now considering a different solution to aid in braking for this bike. Although I know nothing of the builder/manufacturer it is a cool little bike and would prefer not to mangle the fork. Also don't really want to go the different fork route, although that may be ultimately what I do since it will provide the easiest way to get the braking I desire. As you mention, I have seen these cause more damage than what is ideal. Not worth risking damage imo, after use of product and reflection.

No desire for drilling, the expense and potential to mess something up is preventable. I was hoping this would end up being a viable solution, but unfortunately not for me.
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 03-22-21, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
We had a customer who had us build up a pretty crazy Cinelli frame with some top end parts (Dura Ace Track if I recall correctly but I think we got his cog upgraded to EAI and maybe some other nicer bits) and capped off with the highest end Time pedals just because. He was like "yeah I am just going to ride this occasionally". He wasn't your typical fixed gear kid who would do a similar build but a middle aged guy with some money (I can't remember what he did maybe real estate or something)

Though mostly shop people build up odd stuff especially of the one speed variety. It is just fun to have a single speed mountain bike or road bike even if not super practical how could you not want one.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-22-21, 10:46 PM
StirFry

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Old 03-23-21, 04:05 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Love that innovative “local foliage” photo op kick stand . Bike looks great!
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 03-23-21, 06:46 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by StirFry
Nice picture! I love that chainring with the thin accent ring inside of the bolts
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-23-21, 10:08 AM
StirFry

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Nice picture! I love that chainring with the thin accent ring inside of the bolts

Thanks. It's an Sugino MC144. Basicially a Zen with the rear indents all the way removed. I've always been surprised that it doesn't get much play around here.

https://www.tracksupermarket.com/sug...ing-black.html

Likes For StirFry:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.