Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Cycliq Cameras on their bikes?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone using Cycliq Cameras on their bikes?

Old 07-18-20, 07:24 PM
jaws7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was awaiting the release of the newest version of the Fly6, but looking at the specs, there is no way I'll buy it. Cycliq shrunk the battery capacity from 3200mAh to 2000mAh, and also reduced the maximum brightness of the LED from 100 lm to 50 lm. The run time for the camera only mode drops to "up to 5 hours" from "up to 7 hours". The new version does come with a 32 Gb micro SD card though, but for me the negatives outweigh the positives. It's too bad that there aren't any other companies that make a incident camera. I heard of a company (also from Australia) that makes a helmet with both front and rear facing cameras. https://cyclevision.com.au/. I think I'll wait for a few people to review it before I consider buying one though.
Old 07-23-20, 10:44 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Someone asked for videos...
Did you report any of those jackarses? Surely the guy throwing stuff at you is committing assault.

Old 07-23-20, 10:49 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Hand Held Camera

I don't worry about video taping bad drivers any more. It's just not something that I think about. I do use a hand held camera, and always pack one whenever I ride.
I am a videographer for most of the local bike events in my area. Actually I have one in a couple of days. I'm very often facing sideways or behind me while shooting. I get comments once in a while from people who worry about me. I remind them that I have been doing this for many years.
Here is a montage of videos I produced for a local bike advocacy group

South Coast Bikeway Promo

Last edited by capejohn; 07-23-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-25-20, 01:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Someone asked for videos...
Me on a ride:
https://youtu.be/u8zh3zhOwfY

Wife on commute
https://youtu.be/64PxL9Lfj64

and another
https://youtu.be/TyYqv1nT7ro
The Corvallo Rd pass was just so moronic and obviously intentionally close. No oncoming vehicles, wide lanes and ample distance until the turn.
Old 08-14-20, 08:40 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Well, my rear camera, the Fly6 has already died. I was riding in the rain and it quit working. I noticed some moisture under the lens. I thought it was waterproof???? The rear camera is not responding to anything at all.

Cyclic support isn’t responding to my inquiries...... geez. It’s only 5 months old. Maybe Paypal can assist.
Old 09-02-20, 01:25 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Cycliq has agreed to replace my rear camera under warranty, which is nice.

But, while riding yesterday I noticed that my front camera was hanging from the handlebars by the safety tether. I stopped to see what was going on and the adapter that the camera attaches to had broken into. I had the front camera situated out front under my Garmin. And Cycliq hasn’t had any new adapters since Covid shut down Chinese manufacturing. The only mount I have left is a handlebar Mount.

I haven’t had very good luck so far.

Old 02-15-21, 07:25 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

An update. My rear camera Fly 6 failed in August of 2020 due to moisture infiltration from riding in the rain. It was still under warranty so Cycliq agreed to replaceme it under warranty. Yesterday the replacement finally arrived......took 6 month!!!

I could have possibly gotten the newer version sooner but it has a shorter battery life and they asked for additional money.

I’m still waiting on the universal mounts that broke so I can use the front camera........

When the cameras work they work well. But when they’re issues Cycliq isn’t equipped to handle them. They need someone at the Company to see the potential and get the company fulfilling its potential. They need a Steve Jobs type of guy that can bring in the capital and structure the business where it’s prosperous. I’m guessing they have some good technical types but lack the business acumen needed to thrive.
Old 02-15-21, 08:17 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
We have a few riders in our local club that have Cycliq cams. The stories about their 'customer service' (or complete lack of it) seem to be true.
As a result, I went with a Rylo 360 degree camera. It's mounted on the left end of my handlebar, and captures true 360 deg images - behind, ahead, beside, above, and below - and uses software on my phone to play back recordings. You can literally 'follow' a car approaching, passing, and driving away, and the resolution will capture license plates. I think this is more useful than two cams facing front and rear with fixed views. Should you ever be hit, you and your ride will most likely not be in a position to grab important information on-screen. I've seen many videos of grass, ditches, and pavement after a rider goes down. With the 360 degree view, you can always zero in where needed.
Downsides? Battery life is terrible (1 hr at the most, I usually swap out batteries at 45 minutes and have to carry multiple spares), and sadly, the cameras are no longer manufactured or supported, so if something goes wrong, I have a fancy, expensive paperweight. Should it ever come to that, I will be purchasing a GoPro 360 degree camera to replace it. Luckily, it will fit my handlebar end mount.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-28-21, 05:31 PM
Chris_Andrews

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GPS Interference

It took me a while to work this out, but my Cycliq Fly12 is causing interference with my Garmin 1030 GPS. I spent a lot of time working with Garmin, who were fantastic, they replace the unit twice, but the issue persisted. I then discovered I had no problem when I did not use my Fly12. I did a raft of tests, and the final one was to wrap the Fly12 in foil, which provided the added shielding necessary; this is not a practical solution long term.
When I contacted Cycliq, they said that because they had certificates, my Fly12 was ok and they did not believe there was an issue. They then said that there were many threads on the internet that Garmins had problems with other devices. If I sight threads on the internet as proof my device was faulty, they will not accept that.
Old 03-22-21, 07:18 AM
LoudOrange

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cycliq service is non-existent

Originally Posted by krunk713
I don't know how Cycliq is still in business. They don't honor their warranty.
The cameras are great ... until they stop working. It took less than a year for my Fly12CE to turn into an expensive paperweight.
Cycliq's Customer Support team must have gotten sucked into a black hole. After the master reset they prescribed didn't work, they stopped responding to me. I'd send them an email reminding them about my ticket every 10 days or so. It's been over 5 WEEKS AND NO RESPONSE!
The LBS where I purchased them told me I'm not the first to complain about the non-existent customer support from Cycliq. In fact, because of Cycliq's pattern of non-support, the LBS stopped carrying Cycliq products.
If you buy a Cycliq product, CAVEAT EMPTOR!
cl

I've been waiting for a week for a response to a service query - multiple emails, tweets, all unanswered - my 12 turns on, then turns off a few seconds later. Fully charged, hasn't been dropped, and same problem with and without the SD card. Don't know what is going on at Cycliq but their service has been most disappointing.
Old 03-22-21, 06:51 PM
dicktill

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Has anyone tried to open a Cycliq (taillight/rear camera) and replace the batteries? Successful?
Old 03-22-21, 06:54 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
After reading these posts I lose my faith in humanity. I'm sure the video would probably be your only saving grace in the event that something really tragic did happen but I hate to admit that the court might not go in favour of the cyclist. Here's a good example and Toronto is gaining notoriety as a pro cycling city but then this happens. Sickening.

Hit-and-run driver dodges jail after killing Markham cyclist - Canadian Cycling Magazine
Old 03-22-21, 09:25 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Well, Cycliq has restocked all the universal connectors and they’ve sent me an ample supply. I can now use my front camera on all my bikes again. Plus they sent me a replacement rear Fly6 under warranty. In addition, because it took over 6 months to get a warranty replacement, they also sent me the new rear camera model. So, it looks like they are trying to get their act together. So, for the time being I can carry both rear cameras with me on longer rides. I only got about 3 hours of recording on the new model first time using it. I need to look to see if I can adjust the settings to stretch out the time a bit. I think I was getting about 4 hours on the Fly6. I used to carry an external battery under my saddle for recharging on long rides but hope to avoid that in the future with the two cameras.