Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot UO 10 Late 70s

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 03:47 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Peugeot UO 10 Late 70s

I plan on selling this late 70s Peugeot UO 10 I just finished rebuilding. I'll likely replace the Ideale 39 saddle but that won't impact the value of the bike. The bike has been overhauled and all the bearings replaced. All the bearing surfaces are smooth. The cables and housing have been replaced. The tires and brake pads have been replaced. They aren't new but they are in very good shape with little wear. The wheels are true and the bike works well. The brake cables are cut too high but I'm leaving them just the way they are. The condition of this bike is a 9 out of 10. So what is this worth?

Last edited by bikemig; 04-08-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 04:15 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Cotterless crank is a big plus, as is the rear mech being in the SX family, based on appearance. If no teeth missing on the pulleys and front mech band isn't cracked, and it's fully serviced, In my market I'd probably list in the $200-225 range with the expectation of walking away in the 150-175 range, latter being roughly what I got from an early '80s PH8 recently.

Not gonna lie, those cable housings are pretty hideous

Likes For francophile:
Old 04-08-21, 05:31 PM
bikemig 

I would have pegged this as a $150 bike pre Covid. I'm surprised that it isn't worth more than that today. Unless that lovely high arching brake cable housing just drags down the price?
Old 04-08-21, 06:48 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by bikemig
I would have pegged this as a $150 bike pre Covid. I'm surprised that it isn't worth more than that today. Unless that lovely high arching brake cable housing just drags down the price?
Strictly speaking from the perspective of my market, yours may be different. I feel like the Peugeot P/U prefixed bikes with 8/9/10 suffixes pre-'83 pop up pretty often here, in varying condition. We had a couple of dealers inside I-285 that were selling these in the 70s/80s, so our market is a bit flooded. I've sold a boatload, buyers usually end up being young men, typically college kids and suburbanites vs. hipsters. Sometimes I'll clear in the 2xx range, but if I had to run average on my last 5 bikes, $180 is roughly where they tend to land if I want to sell in less than 10-14 days with less than 2-3 viewers - "time is money".

The following may sound stupid, but it's just more observations on some of the stuff I've sold which may or may not ring true in your market.

Skinwall tires on early '80s and earlier bikes sell faster for me, while colored tires on mid-80s and later bikes tend to sell faster. Whitewall and reflective wall tires sell better on ATBs I've listed. Blackwalls sell better for me on MTB. I don't know why All-black tires never seem to do well on road bikes, but without fail I always make less money on all-black tired bikes, which I find very stupid.

I've noticed people are absurdly picky about bar tape over here. Shiny perforated tape has always gotten more attention for me on '80s and earlier bikes. I usually end up going with un-perforated matte tapes, SRAM or EV BVA tape for quick flips, and the less lift you have at the edge, the more comments I get. One high-quality flipper I know west of the city won't wrap bars unless you buy. He brings white and black tape, charges $10-15 to wrap on the spot after sale.

At $10 for the Schwinn kit, which has shift ferrules friendly for the tighter Simplex lever provisions and supports BMX and road brakes, you may be able to tack on an extra $20-25 to the sale price getting rid of the red housings.

Seats are another huge one. One thing I learned from the guy who doesn't tape: Always bring at least 2-3 extra seats in a box to every sale. People are picky, and as much as we roll thru bikes, we have plenty spares. I've gotten to keep/purge several seats I wanted/hated over the years this way.

Old 04-08-21, 07:02 PM
bikemig 

Good deal at $10 for that Schwinn brake and derailleur kit. I'm buying but I'm leaving the red jagwire housing. I have too much of it from an earlier project.

Good advice. We'll see how much that Pug goes for.
Old 04-08-21, 07:18 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Follow up, I'm genuinely curious how you fare.

That Schwinn kit is great for flips. I try to keep 2-3 boxes laying around the shop at all times specifically for French bikes, the shift cables are good and shift cable ends slightly smaller, which works great for every Simplex-branded lever. Price varies on AMZN, some days it's $12, some days it's as cheap as $8, average is around $10-11. When it drops, I load up. Tip: Unfurl the housings night before you plan to use it, or unfurl and leave in the sun for an hour or so before installing to help straighten it out. They roll it up in a tight coil in the box and that leaves it wavy initially.