Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Advice. What to look for?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Single Speed Advice. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 06:32 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
I see your point, but the flip (flop) side is if you have a flip flop hub with fixed and free, it's easy to use the free all the time and just have the fixed cog there for show. Riding fixed takes a little concentration at first, but if there are no big hills and you're sensible, and have brakes as a back up, you can get used to it within a few miles.

Indeed, when I ride my geared bike these days, it takes me a few miles to get used to being able to coast, but by the end of a 20 mile ride, it's coming naturally again.

As for ratios, there is one simple perfect answer, a golden ratio, if you will: the ideal combination of chain ring and sprocket, perfect for all conditions. Legend says that this ratio can only be found by an infinite number of cyclists drinking an infinite amount of beer and shooting an infinite amount of breeze.
Agree with your comment about flip/flop hubs, many riders will set on the freewheel side and not try to master the FG side. IMO its not easy to learn to brake "slide" using the FG as I have spent many hours riding FG and still not able to slide. I have watched many of the excellent youtube vid's showing and explaining the techniques. Doing jumps and wheelies are also cool skills that take practice and proper technique. As you noted about ratios, the correct setup is very much a personal choice and debate.
Old 04-08-21, 06:36 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie_Cyclist
Here's one Single Speed Vintage I am considering. What do you think?
Very nice looking setup.
IMO the two most important spec choices, frame tubing/construction and type of hubs are not detailed. These are maybe the most important details for a good SS bike.
Old 04-08-21, 09:01 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I thought that was cheap? It's one of the reasons I started this thread because I'm cautious of getting a bike that's "cheap". But I guess as has been suggested already it's the frame the counts I can always upgrade the components.
If money is not an issue, then just buy something more expensive. Have you ever considered building your bike from scratch? It is not that complicated to build a fixed gear bike. It is tons of fun! I built my my first fixed gear +15 something years ago.
Old 04-08-21, 10:56 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 252 Posts
Read some reviews, do some virtual window shopping then pull the trigger. Keep it simple, fixed gear bikes aren't complicated.
Old 04-08-21, 12:51 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Bikes: Merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ 2021

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. As most of you have recommended I might just build my own. I think I'll be more satisfied.
Old 04-08-21, 04:03 PM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. As most of you have recommended I might just build my own. I think I'll be more satisfied.
Oh yes. You will love that! Keep us informed how it goes.
Likes For BikeEthics:
Old 04-13-21, 02:01 PM
DKVelo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been looking at a few vintage and "vintage style" single speeds. I don't mind upgrading the components if I need to I'm more focused in a good quality frame. I'll use it toride to work when I'm not using my current bike.
I kind of took a similar route, not a "vintage" frame, but an inexpensive 4130 CroMoly ready-made bike for starters. Once I figured our that I'm well and truly "hooked", I started upgrading the components with the idea that I would get a nicer frameset one day. Ended up with a titanium beauty by No.22, Little Wing. I am very lucky to live about 45 minutes away from their factory.
Likes For DKVelo: