Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2018 Kona Mahuna

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2018 Kona Mahuna

Old 04-04-21, 01:48 PM
MikeyDCalfe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 Kona Mahuna

Hey all,

Just looking for second opinions. I'm considering a 2018 Kona Mahuna for my wife. It's a private sale, and the owner is asking $950 Canadian for it.

It hasn't been ridden much by the sound of it, so it should be in good condition. Some of the components are lower end from what I understand (Altus), but are they fine for mountain, mostly single track trail riding? Is it worth $950 CAD?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Here's a link to the specs.
99spokes.com/bikes/kona/2018/mahuna
Old 04-04-21, 03:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
No I wouldn't pay that. They are asking almost full retail for Altus which is one step up from Tourney which is the absolute bottom end. Bikes are tough to get right now but that much for a used 2 year old bike with low end components is just silly. If you can talk them down a few hundred then I could see a little more sense but as it is I wouldn't buy.

If you are looking for lower initial cost MTB from Kona the Fire Mountain is the same price and slightly better-ish or spend a bit more and get a Kona Blast which has nicer parts like a RS Judy and Deore 11 speed and it can run wider tires.
Old 04-04-21, 03:38 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
What am I missing? The link you provided lists the msrp at $799. So... $150 over that.
Old 04-04-21, 07:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
What am I missing? The link you provided lists the msrp at $799. So... $150 over that.
Keep in mind the OP uses Canookistanian fun bucks which are worth 20¢ less then our 'Murican Greenbacks but the link provided does not use Tim Horton's Coupons but standard Sacks of Gaweas (in layman's terms the website lists in USD but OP uses CAD)
Old 04-05-21, 12:04 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Keep in mind the OP uses Canookistanian fun bucks which are worth 20¢ less then our 'Murican Greenbacks but the link provided does not use Tim Horton's Coupons but standard Sacks of Gaweas (in layman's terms the website lists in USD but OP uses CAD)

I was curious, and am a fellow cheesehead myself, but still.. $799 usd is currently $1005 cad. So, $50 less than msrp for a used bike with no warranty.
Likes For Happy Feet: