Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speedplay pedals & shoes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Speedplay pedals & shoes

Old 04-06-21, 02:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Speedplay pedals & shoes

Which shoes are you using with your Speedplay pedals?
Old 04-06-21, 05:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Ones that fit my feet. Is this a trick question?
Old 04-06-21, 05:14 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Gaerne make a Speedplay specific sole, if that’s what you’re asking. Much better than having to use an adapter on a Look/SPD-SL three-bolt sole. Kinda hard to find though (in North America at least), and expensive. I’m currently wearing a pair of G.Stilos.
Old 04-06-21, 06:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Never thought about shoes as relates to the pedals. So, Sidis, Giros, Northwaves, and Mavics.
Old 04-06-21, 06:23 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by ManekiNico
Gaerne make a Speedplay specific sole, if that’s what you’re asking. Much better than having to use an adapter on a Look/SPD-SL three-bolt sole. Kinda hard to find though (in North America at least), and expensive. I’m currently wearing a pair of G.Stilos.
oooof size on that for me. Can't source them new around me.
Are your shoes direct adapt or requires the stacking of the adapter plate?
Old 04-06-21, 06:24 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ones that fit my feet. Is this a trick question?
You have speedplays in use? Which brand of shoes & what's their model?
Old 04-06-21, 06:26 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Never thought about shoes as relates to the pedals. So, Sidis, Giros, Northwaves, and Mavics.
The mavics I could find only were 2 bolt with laces no BOA. Stupid as it may sound, I've have poor outcomes with comfort when only having laces. BOA & cycling shoes have given great 1st shot comfortable results.
Old 04-06-21, 06:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

The mavics I could find only were 2 bolt with laces no BOA. Stupid as it may sound, I've have poor outcomes with comfort when only having laces. BOA & cycling shoes have given great 1st shot comfortable results.
Not sure where you were shopping, but there's a bunch of stuff. This is US; probably even more selection with the euro vendors

https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/road-an...twear/men.html
Old 04-06-21, 06:37 PM
Troul 

local stores. Shoes tend to be something I try to grab locally. Makes exchanges/returns & all else easier on my end.
Old 04-06-21, 06:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

local stores. Shoes tend to be something I try to grab locally. Makes exchanges/returns & all else easier on my end.
Good luck with that. Never found a store yet with size 49s on the shelf.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-06-21, 08:05 PM
WhyFi

You have speedplays in use? Which brand of shoes & what's their model?
Speedplay cleats ship with adapters so that they can be used on 3-hole road shoes - use them on whatever brand and model fits your feet.
Old 04-07-21, 06:30 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Pearl Izumi mountain shoes with Speedplay Frogs
Old 04-07-21, 06:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I custom drill my Giro SLX’s.

I am considering drawing something to 3d print in metal thru one of those web based print services to be able to use 3 bolt shoes without drilling.
Old 04-07-21, 06:49 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I custom drill my Giro SLX’s.

I am considering drawing something to 3d print in metal thru one of those web based print services to be able to use 3 bolt shoes without drilling.
Due to past experiences with shoe brands, I am likely to go with the Shimano RC7 shoes. Really would like to avoid adapters, but I can only heat the credit card up so much.
Old 04-07-21, 06:59 AM
WhyFi

Due to past experiences with shoe brands, I am likely to go with the Shimano RC7 shoes. Really would like to avoid adapters, but I can only heat the credit card up so much.
So you were looking for people that are using 4-hole, Speedplay-specific shoes? Okay, that's a vastly different question. I'm running 3-hole Lakes, because they're far and away the best fit for me, with the adapter plates. Lake occasionally has Speedplay-specific models available, but I haven't come across any in my price range at a time when I was in the market.

If I'm being honest, though, second to fit, shoe aesthetics are far more important to me than Speedplay drilling - if I had to choose between 4-hole and meh looks or 3-hole and awesome, I'd go with awesome, with zero internal debate.
Old 04-07-21, 07:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

If I'm being honest, though, second to fit, shoe aesthetics are far more important to me than Speedplay drilling - if I had to choose between 4-hole and meh looks or 3-hole and awesome, I'd go with awesome, with zero internal debate.
Agree, but at the same time, I've wanted to try the Northwave system, just not a lot of talk about their shoes out there. Maybe the only way to get a quasi-4-hole system for Speedplay in my size (US 14). Has anyone out there tried this. Of course one downside, if you call it that, is it drops the stack by 2.5mm from regular 3-hole shoes using Speedplay's adapter, which could in theory have an impact on saddle height differences by which shoe you're riding in.

Old 04-07-21, 08:56 AM
Troul 

So you were looking for people that are using 4-hole, Speedplay-specific shoes? Okay, that's a vastly different question. I'm running 3-hole Lakes, because they're far and away the best fit for me, with the adapter plates. Lake occasionally has Speedplay-specific models available, but I haven't come across any in my price range at a time when I was in the market.

I was looking to find out who has speedplay pedals & what shoes they are using with them. If everyone that has speedplay pedal only had the direct fit shoes, idk if that would help me much in determining how universal they are for fit form & function. Seems like the pedals were developed sort of in a vacuum as the shoe support is limited. Mostly I think the intent for such limited shoe selection was to pigeon hold riders to an expensive market of shoes before realizing shortly that adapters are needed to cycle out the pedal inventory a little faster.

I do agree that the appearance of shoes is at the front for decision making, as long as the size is available, followed by everything else. That is why I'm leaning towards the sh-rc7.
Old 04-07-21, 09:01 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Agree, but at the same time, I've wanted to try the Northwave system, just not a lot of talk about their shoes out there. Maybe the only way to get a quasi-4-hole system for Speedplay in my size (US 14). Has anyone out there tried this. Of course one downside, if you call it that, is it drops the stack by 2.5mm from regular 3-hole shoes using Speedplay's adapter, which could in theory have an impact on saddle height differences by which shoe you're riding in.

Have not heard of those shoes. I haven't looked them up, but I'd think they are in the $300+ club?
Old 04-07-21, 09:06 AM
WhyFi

I was looking to find out who has speedplay pedals & what shoes they are using with them. If everyone that has speedplay pedal only had the direct fit shoes, idk if that would help me much in determining how universal they are for fit form & function. Seems like the pedals were developed sort of in a vacuum as the shoe support is limited. Mostly I think the intent for such limited shoe selection was to pigeon hold riders to an expensive market of shoes before realizing shortly that adapters are needed to cycle out the pedal inventory a little faster.

I do agree that the appearance of shoes is at the front for decision making, as long as the size is available, followed by everything else. That is why I'm leaning towards the sh-rc7.
Oh, so your intent was to find out how broadly compatible they are? I've never had any problem with them with any of the shoes that I've tried to install them on. Because of my wide-ish feet, that's somewhat limited (Shimano, Specialized, Lake), but given the wedges included to match the range of sole curvature, I couldn't imagine incompatibility to be a common problem. Have you run in to some soles that were too flat or too curved?
Old 04-07-21, 09:11 AM
Troul 

I've never had any problem with them with any of the shoes that I've tried to install them on. Because of my wide-ish feet, that's somewhat limited (Shimano, Specialized, Lake), but given the wedges included to match the range of sole curvature, I couldn't imagine incompatibility to be a common problem. Have you run in to some soles that were too flat or too curved?

Some shoes had a rubbing point with my one foot, others had too much give & I'd have a pain that resembles heel spurs, but the pain would span to the "arch". Having had many injuries in the past has brought upon the shoe challenges. I'm fortunate that I can walk a somewhat normal life. Riding allows me to cover more distance! lol

Broad compatibility is the right way that I should have asked. Thanks!
Old 04-07-21, 09:17 AM
Troul 

initially I wanted to use the SHIMANO SH-XC5 shoes with the speedplays, but a few inquires brought back an unfavorable response of not being compatible.
https://www.moosejaw.com/product/shi...8aAuXqEALw_wcB

Last edited by Troul; 04-07-21 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-07-21, 09:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Have not heard of those shoes. I haven't looked them up, but I'd think they are in the $300+ club?
Like most brands, they have a full lineup from less to more expensive.
Old 04-07-21, 09:24 AM
WhyFi

Some shoes had a rubbing point with my one foot, others had too much give & I'd have a pain that resembles heel spurs, but the pain would span to the "arch". Having had many injuries in the past has brought upon the shoe challenges. I'm fortunate that I can walk a somewhat normal life. Riding allows me to cover more distance! lol

Broad compatibility is the right way that I should have asked. Thanks!
Gotcha. I would just focus on the fit and not worry about the cleat compatibility. IIRC, they have two sets of wedges, for both the front and rear of the cleats, and you can use them in any combination to match the curvature of your sole at the desired position. They do have a chart with wedge suggestions based on model of shoe, but I never reference it and just eyeball to remove any gap while installing. I've never been at the extremes of wedge adjustability, so I assume that most would be within that meaty part of the bell curve, too.
Old 04-07-21, 09:26 AM
WhyFi

initially I wanted to use the SHIMANO SH-XC5 shoes with the speedplays, but a few inquires brought back an unfavorable response of not being compatible.
https://www.moosejaw.com/product/shi...8aAuXqEALw_wcB
Yeah, not compatible with 2-hole/MTB systems. Gotta be 3-hole/road.
Old 04-07-21, 10:15 AM
Troul 

Yeah, not compatible with 2-hole/MTB systems. Gotta be 3-hole/road.
you'd think mtb shoes would require more secured mounting points, but maybe the duration of a "road rider" taxes the sole surface greater. :shrug:
Gotcha. I would just focus on the fit and not worry about the cleat compatibility. IIRC, they have two sets of wedges, for both the front and rear of the cleats, and you can use them in any combination to match the curvature of your sole at the desired position. They do have a chart with wedge suggestions based on model of shoe, but I never reference it and just eyeball to remove any gap while installing. I've never been at the extremes of wedge adjustability, so I assume that most would be within that meaty part of the bell curve, too.
same here. Usually I can nail it the first time every time since having some experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.