Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Velomax Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Velomax Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 08:18 AM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velomax Wheels

Any opinions on Velomax wheels. Not really for any models, but rather just their reputation and quality. Their website is full of info, but I'm looking for feedback on this Forum with from those in the know...
Old 09-07-03, 11:06 AM
bman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Velomax wheels, but I thought I would give you the heads up on this special they are running. I saw it at SuperGo the other day, but I believe they are having it everywhere. They are including free Michelin tires and tubes with the purchase of Velomax wheels. You might call them as I'm not sure when it expires.
Old 09-07-03, 11:15 AM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of Velomax rogue wheels for my MTB, I have had no problems with them. They are not the lightest wheels, but have been a strong sturdy wheelset.
Old 09-07-03, 11:15 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small company here in long beach that works there ass of and has a great customer service and really stand behind the product.If i would'nt have gotten mavic's,i would have gotten velomax.I mostly here and read good things about them.Pretty nice look'n to.
Old 09-07-03, 11:36 AM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not even realize they were in long beach! That's kewl Since I live near there. They don't seem to make MTB wheelsets anymore, but their road wheels seem to support campy cassettes now. If you check out their web site they have a free demo you can try. So you can check out the wheels put them on you're bike and take them for a normal ride. Might be worth checking out.
Old 09-07-03, 04:03 PM
djpluv
Climbin' Fool

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi EV4 and a 2005 Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a set of the Velomax Circuits a few months ago and have been super pleased with them. They have been with me on centuries, crits, and road races and have held up great. One of the stages I raced even had a 1-mile section of gravel road that we rode 4 times and the wheels never once complained :-)

The feel very solid on descents and very firm on the many climbs I have put them through. Even after all the torture they still roll true and look great!

Paul
Old 09-07-03, 09:46 PM
Bikesick

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex, Trek Fuel 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you aware of (or suspicious of) problems with velomax wheels??

I recently purchased a campagmolo wheelset. I had looked at the velomax wheels and lusted after the low weight of the ascent wheels, but wanted low spoke count and a semi-aero wheel section. And velomax has a semi-aero wheel also. However, velomax wheels have had a reputation of not holding up to tough riding (or large riders). I am an average size rider at 6'-0", 170 lbs, and not particularly hard on equipment. And apparently velomax has corrected some design problems and their wheels are more dependable. But I still decided against taking the risk of spending good money on wheels and having them fall apart. ...
Old 09-07-03, 10:02 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if that is why they don't make MTB wheels anymore... Mine have been running great, but they don't even list them on their web site anymore
Old 09-08-03, 09:45 AM
itschris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bikesick
Are you aware of (or suspicious of) problems with velomax wheels??
However, velomax wheels have had a reputation of not holding up to tough riding (or large riders). I am an average size rider at 6'-0", 170 lbs, and not particularly hard on equipment. And apparently velomax has corrected some design problems and their wheels are more dependable. ...
I'm somewhat surprised to hear that. When I was researching a new wheelset, I emailed just about every popular maker including Velomax and they, along with Shimano (Dura-Ace), and Bontrager (AeroLites) were the only companies that gave me a green light for my weight at the time... 260-270. I've attached Velomax's reply below...

"While you're certainly outside what we feel is the ideal weight, you don't compare to our test rider David Anthony. He's been on the Tempest II for almost a year, including trailer towing. Based upon this, we don't anticipate any problems. But do bear in mind that light wheels always have compromises. If you want super heavy duty, you might wait until we introduce our Atlas model in 2004.

Check this out....

https://www.velomax.com/site/Riders/dma_coffee.htm"

I'm still deciding between the 03 Dura-Ace and the Velomax Tempest. They are just about the same price and I have heard nothing but postive feedback on both. HOpe this helps
Old 09-08-03, 11:32 AM
Random
Tour DAY France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought Velomax Circuits in early July. I just rolled over 1000 miles on them. I have pavement around hear that I would rate fair to it’s good enough for a tractor, so its good enough for everyone, and have hit a couple of really well camouflaged potholes, and my wheels are still true.
Old 09-08-03, 02:06 PM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found someone here at work that has loaned me a pair of Ascent IIs. These rims are awesome. I flew up the hills. Very stable on descents over 40mph. Able to take rough roads. I hit a couple of potholes I was sure called for the rim to be trued, but everything was fine.

My co-worker had already put about 1500 miles on the wheels and no probs.

My background is mechanical engineering, and from what I've read on Velomax's website, their approach and design philosophy is right on the ball.

I'm going to order some (Ascent IIs) today. I may order the Circuits just to keep a spare for training---but it's all a matter of money at this point.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 09-08-03, 02:28 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure to check out www.bicyclebuys.com they had some great deals on Velomax wheels, also www.supergo.com . From what I've heard they are Velocity rims, which are very good rims.
Old 09-09-03, 08:02 AM
itschris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Kev
Be sure to check out www.bicyclebuys.com they had some great deals on Velomax wheels, also www.supergo.com . From what I've heard they are Velocity rims, which are very good rims.
Are these older models? I can't believe the prices. They're like $200 cheaper!
Old 09-09-03, 09:19 AM
bman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velomax's current models are, Ascent II, Orion II, Tempest II, Circuit, Ironman, the Ascent II - Orion II and Tempest are also available in Tubular Carbon. I believe many places still have older model wheels, which aren't the II's.

Check out https://www.velomax.com for more info,
Old 09-09-03, 09:52 AM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read, the older ones still perform well and would make great training wheels!
Old 09-09-03, 10:04 AM
wallybrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the Tempest and Orion on bicyclebuys.com are older models, the Circuit description states that it's the '03 model, but the picture shows the older models.
Old 09-09-03, 10:07 AM
R600DuraAce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me chip in a bit since I just have my Velomax Tempest for little over a week. Did a race with them. Excellent hubs!!! The hub literally rolls on air!!! I have a pair of Dura Ace hubs/Open Pro rims. You just don't feel any resistance. If you have a spoke breakage, you are in for a long and complicated repair.

I got my pair here:
https://www.bicyclebuys.com/HTML/RoadWheels.htm

Nice deal. Velomax already has the 2003 model Tempest and weights in less than 1500 grams!!!! Get the Tempest if you could. Better hub finish and taller rim profile. Yes, the wheel are very aero. I can sustain the same speed with a lower heart rate.
Old 09-09-03, 10:31 AM
wallybrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the Tempest wheelset, are you are larger rider? I'm 220 and am concerned about the low spoke count. I know they claim the circuit freehub is very quiet. How is it on the Tempest?
Old 09-09-03, 10:43 AM
wallybrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Confirmation from bicyclebuys.com....

Certainly, Wally!

The wheels you're interested in are indeed Circuit Comp IIs, and we only got them in on Monday. Sorry that we haven't had a chance yet to update the pictures. If you want to place an order, the wheels are available to ship today.

Feel free to get in touch with any other questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Sean
Customer Service
Bicyclebuys.com
Old 09-09-03, 11:04 AM
R600DuraAce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by wallybrau
Regarding the Tempest wheelset, are you are larger rider? I'm 220 and am concerned about the low spoke count. I know they claim the circuit freehub is very quiet. How is it on the Tempest?
I am light, 130 lb. Yes, the hub is more quieter since it uses more precise bearing. If you spin the wheel while holding it with your hands, you won't feel a thing.
Old 09-09-03, 11:07 AM
itschris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by wallybrau
Wallybrau, check out my post on the first page of this conversation. It should answer any question on the topic
Old 09-09-03, 11:41 AM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tempest should be able to handle a heavier rider no problem. I agree the bearings on their wheels are about the smoothest I have seen. I also have a set of Ksyrium SSC's and they are just as smooth.

As for bicyclebuys they are a good company to deal with that is where I bought my velomax rogue's. They ship quickly, great customer service and good prices.
Old 09-09-03, 12:05 PM
Random
Tour DAY France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wallybrau, email sent.
Old 09-09-03, 01:03 PM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by R600DuraAce
Let me chip in a bit since I just have my Velomax Tempest for little over a week. Did a race with them. Excellent hubs!!! The hub literally rolls on air!!! I have a pair of Dura Ace hubs/Open Pro rims. You just don't feel any resistance. If you have a spoke breakage, you are in for a long and complicated repair.

I got my pair here:
https://www.bicyclebuys.com/HTML/RoadWheels.htm

Nice deal. Velomax already has the 2003 model Tempest and weights in less than 1500 grams!!!! Get the Tempest if you could. Better hub finish and taller rim profile. Yes, the wheel are very aero. I can sustain the same speed with a lower heart rate.
Hey R6000DA, Can you clarify? Long and complicated repair with the DA/Mavics or with the Velomax?
Old 09-09-03, 01:04 PM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Kev
The tempest should be able to handle a heavier rider no problem. I agree the bearings on their wheels are about the smoothest I have seen. I also have a set of Ksyrium SSC's and they are just as smooth.

As for bicyclebuys they are a good company to deal with that is where I bought my velomax rogue's. They ship quickly, great customer service and good prices.
Are their MTB wheels disc brake compatible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.