Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First 50 on Sunday

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First 50 on Sunday

Old 02-14-14, 01:07 AM
shyonelung

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First 50 on Sunday

I'm doing a 50-mile ride this Sunday. My friends and I planned it for my 50th birthday (which is Monday). I used to ride a bit when I was in my 20s but stopped for many years after I got Cancer and lost a lung (yeah, at 26). I gained weight, spent years out of shape thinking I was limited by my condition. But two years ago, I dieted, lost a ton of weight and got back on the bike (first my old MTB ride and then a new Ridley road bike). I ride between two and four times a week, do plenty of good climbs and average about 25-30 miles a ride. And while I often feel I have something left after those rides, I've yet to do more than 40 since I starting cycling seriously again last year. I workout several times a week and feel pretty confident that I'll make it through this ride, especially as it's mostly rollers and only about 2000-feet of climbing total, hills I've done before. So I feel I've done the work to get there. I'm assuming 50 isn't that much different than doing 30-35. Is that true? Should I do anything different on the ride to preserve my energy or anything? Eat differently before the ride or the night before the ride? I'm sure I'm overthinking this. Still, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone is in my neck of the woods on Sunday (Sonoma County wine country in NorCal), you're welcome to join us.
Old 02-14-14, 01:26 AM
hoiten22

Bikes: 2012 Raleigh Revenio 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would kinda like to know about this too. I am looking to make the jump from 20-30 mile rides to 50+ miles. Longest I have ever done is 38 but I really want to do a ride later this summer that is 73 miles with about 6000' of climbing. So I really cant wait to step up my training so I can accomplish that ride. I've been wondering some of the same questions!!
Old 02-14-14, 01:49 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If you can do 35 you can do 50, it's just another hour in the saddle. For me, 30 miles is where I need to start thinking about nutrition so I'll snack on a clif bar half way through a 50 mile ride. Stay hydrated and have a great ride!
Old 02-14-14, 01:57 AM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure to not eat/drink to much at once toward the end. For me, 35 miles is not enough to truly feel what blood shunting is. 50 miles is where I start to feel the burn from drinking to much water.
Old 02-14-14, 02:29 AM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding with one lung?? Freakin insane. Anyway just have a decent, bigger than normal breakfast and drink enough water. If you can ride for a couple hours with only one lung 50 miles shouldn't be a problem.

Ill definitely think twice the next time I start to break on those longer rides.
Old 02-14-14, 04:44 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
I could have written your post myself a few months ago (well except for the one lung part-congrats on overcoming that obstacle), started riding at 50 after a long layoff. Check my post history for an account. My only advice is to stop half way for a bite, and get off the bike for a few minutes to walk around. Good luck!
Old 02-14-14, 05:57 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good for you...
Old 02-14-14, 06:09 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm
Make sure to not eat/drink to much at once toward the end. For me, 35 miles is not enough to truly feel what blood shunting is. 50 miles is where I start to feel the burn from drinking to much water.
wut

Old 02-14-14, 07:41 AM
HOWSER

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck and enjoy your ride. Glad to hear your back in the saddle again!
Old 02-14-14, 07:49 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can do 35, you can do 50. If you think it might be a problem, back off your usual pace ever so slightly and conserve energy.
Old 02-14-14, 07:50 AM
Team Sarcasm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
wut
You should have used this \/

But blood shunting causes the pump you feel in your legs because you body redirects blood from your gut to the active muscles....drink too much water (eat something large) your body will take some (or I should say a larger than normal portion) of the blood that was once for use in your legs and give it to your digestion system to start breaking down or absorbing what ever you ate/drank.

This is a problem because since less blood is in your legs while doing the same amount of work lactic acid will build up very quickly.
Old 02-14-14, 08:34 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm
You should have used this \/

But blood shunting causes the pump you feel in your legs because you body redirects blood from your gut to the active muscles....drink too much water (eat something large) your body will take some (or I should say a larger than normal portion) of the blood that was once for use in your legs and give it to your digestion system to start breaking down or absorbing what ever you ate/drank.

This is a problem because since less blood is in your legs while doing the same amount of work lactic acid will build up very quickly.
No. The gut doen't shunt blood from the muscles. It's the other way around. You need fluids and you need calories. They just need to be easier to digest than steak and potatoes.

And don't argue with me

Old 02-14-14, 08:52 AM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shyonelung
I'm doing a 50-mile ride this Sunday. My friends and I planned it for my 50th birthday (which is Monday). I used to ride a bit when I was in my 20s but stopped for many years after I got Cancer and lost a lung (yeah, at 26). I gained weight, spent years out of shape thinking I was limited by my condition. But two years ago, I dieted, lost a ton of weight and got back on the bike (first my old MTB ride and then a new Ridley road bike). I ride between two and four times a week, do plenty of good climbs and average about 25-30 miles a ride. And while I often feel I have something left after those rides, I've yet to do more than 40 since I starting cycling seriously again last year. I workout several times a week and feel pretty confident that I'll make it through this ride, especially as it's mostly rollers and only about 2000-feet of climbing total, hills I've done before. So I feel I've done the work to get there. I'm assuming 50 isn't that much different than doing 30-35. Is that true? Should I do anything different on the ride to preserve my energy or anything? Eat differently before the ride or the night before the ride? I'm sure I'm overthinking this. Still, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone is in my neck of the woods on Sunday (Sonoma County wine country in NorCal), you're welcome to join us.
First, happy birthday.

Second, I had a blood clot in my right lung last year and was in the hospital for a week and a half. I couldn't even think about riding a bike. You have a lifetime badass card.
Old 02-14-14, 09:01 AM
jefft72

Bikes: Giant TCR, 03 Haro V3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thought is that you should have no problem with it given your regular cycling routine. I have only been riding regularly for a few months on a MTB. I will do 10 mile loops on my lunch break a couple of times a week and had gone on 2 20 mile runs before taking my longest trip. There was a charity ride near me and I signed up for the 48 mile route. This was my first charity ride and my longest ride.

No problems for me. There were well planned rest stops about every 15 miles I believe that were stocked with goodies. I felt great for most of the ride, but the last 5 miles sucked due to a combination of fatigue and riding directly into the wind.

On a related side note while I was preparing that morning in the parking lot I was chatting with an older gentleman. He asked if I was planning on doing the MS150 and I replied that it is on my list for next year. He stated that he had done it for the past 20 years and also shared what he called an inside joke. It was that if you can ride 20 miles then you can do the MS150.

Good luck and congrats on getting back on the bike and doing good for yourself.
Old 02-14-14, 09:03 AM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First of all, congratulations! My only thought is that you should just have fun and enjoy riding through one of the most beautiful areas in the world. You've conquered the hard part, now just enjoy. Ride safely.
Old 02-14-14, 09:33 AM
kreeess

Bikes: 12' Supersix 105 / some fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on getting back on the saddle, I myself recently started riding again and also what time and where are you guys riding? Im doing a 40mile-ish ride on Saturday, but I might be interested in your ride also on Sunday.
Old 02-14-14, 11:32 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Birthday and good job on taking this challenge.
I think the rule is eat every hour. I like to carry bananas and eat one per hour plus drink water/gatorade every 30 minutes.
Last year i did 65 miles on a calf muscle pull leg and what really helped was High cadence.
Old 02-14-14, 11:43 AM
Team Sarcasm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
No. The gut doen't shunt blood from the muscles. It's the other way around. You need fluids and you need calories. They just need to be easier to digest than steak and potatoes.

And don't argue with me
It goes both ways...

start working out: blood in digestive system goes to the active muscles

Eat while working out: blood in active muscles goes to your digestive system

Yes you're suppose to eat easily digested food. If you eat too much of an easily digested food at one time it will result in the same.

So as I said, don't eat too much at one time
Old 02-14-14, 11:50 AM
Team Sarcasm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But anyways, have fun on your ride OP. Glad you not falling back on excuses
Old 02-14-14, 08:44 PM
Long Tom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 48 years old... I don't need to eat during a 50, but everyone is different. You might do diluted juice in one bottle.... start out well hydrated and stop to pee around the 20 mile mark. I predict you'll feel it in your contact points way more than leg fatigue (or any fatigue). Get up out the saddle often and early. Move your hands around on the bars BEFORE they develop issues.

Have fun!
Old 02-15-14, 12:10 AM
gamby

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I generally need to eat every 20 miles or so. On the MS150, it's every 15 and I'm cool with that, too.

If you can do 35 comfortably, 50 will go by in a snap. For me, things don't start getting unpleasant until 65-70, depending on how hot out it is.

Good luck and congrats on overcoming.
Old 02-15-14, 07:36 AM
Winnershcyclist

Bikes: Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too went from doing 35 than 50 then 100 my advice is eat and drink plus pace yourself
Old 02-15-14, 08:46 AM
thunderworks

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of good advice already. I'll add that for me on longer than normal rides (for me that's anything over 50), then getting off the bike and walking around a little and stretching helps a lot. For the OP, IMO the jump from your normal distance to 50 miles won't be at all difficult.
Old 02-15-14, 09:58 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I turn 50 the day after you. I hope we both survive!

Pace, as other have mentioned, is key. I'm willing to bet you are good to go.

Enjoy, you olde farte.

Old 02-15-14, 07:38 PM
shyonelung

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dralways
Riding with one lung?? Freakin insane. Anyway just have a decent, bigger than normal breakfast and drink enough water. If you can ride for a couple hours with only one lung 50 miles shouldn't be a problem.

Ill definitely think twice the next time I start to break on those longer rides.
Haha! The human body is an amazing thing. The lung that's left expands to take up the capacity of the one that's gone. The weirdest part is that my heart got pushed to the right side of my chest (the right lung was the one removed) and so it's now on the opposite side where it's supposed to be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.