Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Starting over

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 05:34 PM
dk63

Bikes: 2019 Specialized roll sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Starting over

Hello, I will be turning 63 this Sunday. I stand 5 foot 10 inches tall 330 pounds
I have not been on a petal bike since 1984; last bike was a 15 speed japan made racer that I rode while in Korea.
My question is more or less any recommendations on type or style of bikes.
Being short fat and bald has it set backs but even that can change.
Old 08-03-19, 06:37 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,784 Posts
At 5’10”, you’re not short. You’re average.
Old 08-03-19, 07:51 PM
goaliedad30

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
First and foremost, whatever you get, congrats on getting back on the bike! You will never regret it!

On bikes, if you can find a road bike frame in your price range, and get sturdy wheels, you'll appreciate it.
I love the fact that the road bike geometry and handlebars give you multiple hand positions (top of bars, hoods, corners of bars) which help eliminate some of the numbness that I used to get on my flat bar mountain bike.

Go for something that will let you run 28 or 32 mm tires, along with the sturdier wheels, and you'll enjoy it.

Most of all - enjoy the ride!
Old 08-04-19, 08:11 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 338 pounds, down from 379 a couple months ago. I ride a bit over 10 miles per day, 6 days per week, and use a Trek FX 3 Disc. Before that, I rode Trek FX 2. Depending on the kind of riding you're doing, I'd recommend those or a similar hybrid (Giant Escape, Cannondale Quick, Etc). Whatever else, at higher rider weights I highly recommend avoiding anything with a front suspension - it just bottoms out and makes the ride harder. Road bikes can be harder for folks our size because the belly gets in the way when riding in the more aggressive position, but try one anyway, you may like it - I certainly don't, but hey, I'm not you .
Old 08-06-19, 08:18 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Depending on what you plan on doing with your bike, the recommendations will change. The FX recommendation right above is solid (and other brands have similar bikes). If you want more of a road bike, there are plenty of options there too. Old hard-tail, no front suspension mountain bikes are generally plentiful and inexpensive too, and you can put slicks on for a pleasant road riding experience.
Old 08-07-19, 04:57 AM
dk63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Depending on what you plan on doing with your bike, the recommendations will change. The FX recommendation right above is solid (and other brands have similar bikes). If you want more of a road bike, there are plenty of options there too. Old hard-tail, no front suspension mountain bikes are generally plentiful and inexpensive too, and you can put slicks on for a pleasant road riding experience.
Thanks, great recommendation My wife pick up a bike for me called (Roll Sport) for my birthday its made by Specialized it has 27.5 tires with double walled rims, they told her it should hold my weight @335 pounds I sit in up right position. If when I lose enough weight get around 250 - 270 pound mark; I'm thinking road bike first I have to get there. Thanks for your imput.
Old 08-07-19, 05:00 AM
dk63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the ideal about picking up a frame, and build from there, My goal is to get under 300 pounds if I get around 250-275 road bike will be a plus.
Old 08-07-19, 05:05 AM
dk63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrates on your weight loss, keep up the good work. I just got a Roll Sport by Specialized never heard of them before but I have'nt been on a bike since 1984. Being old fat and bald becomes a challenge sometimes. Hey we are in this together, push forward Ahazz we can do this.
Old 08-07-19, 05:11 AM
dk63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks everyone for there great imput an recommendations my wife bought me a Roll Sport with 27.5 inch tires that also have double lined rims to hold my weight of 335 pounds, This in a entry level bike I sit up right (for now) drop the pounds change the bike (smile) Thanks again