Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Rear disc spacing

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Rear disc spacing

Old 08-09-19, 01:47 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rear disc spacing

Hey All,

I'm trying to grasp the disc brake spacing for building. It's my understanding that discs are most easily achieved in a 135mm and 142mm rear spacing. I keep seeing/reading that 142mm is the new norm and go to option for disc brakes. If/when one might run into clearance issues I would guess that using these, https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...c-dropout.html, would be a great option for 135mm. But could you also go this route for 135mm, https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...-assembly.html, if you wanted to run flat mount brakes instead?

Am I correct in thinking that the low mount dropouts are made for post mount brakes? What the advantages or disadvantages to using low mount vs. flat mount for 135mm? Should 135mm even be a consideration?

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row when it comes time to build some disc frames.

Brandon
Old 08-09-19, 04:50 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
135 and 142 are actually the same thing in terms of the space between the dropout faces . 135 is the over lock nut distance for a QR and some early thru axle designs which had the hub clamped directly to the dropout face. The 142 hub just has a 7mm wider over lock nut distance to index the wheel in a 3.5mm recess in the dropout(135+3.5+3.5 =142). This makes it easier to quickly install the wheel and insert the thru axle. Early 135 thru axle bikes did not have the recess in the dropouts and you had to fiddle around to get the axle lined up with the hub. In any case the distance from the dropout face to the disc is the same for any hub width.

Both of those dropouts are for QR wheels and I am not aware of any 142mm QR hubs. 142 is simply the thru axle version of a 135mm QR hub.

In reference to the types of brake mounts, low mount is for post mount brakes. There is no easy way to make a flat mount brake work on those dropouts. Shimano and SRAM are moving toward flat mount for all drop bar disc brakes, so if you are building a drop bar bike, I would go with the flat mount. Post mount is still being made for MTB applications.