Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Seat tube wall thickness

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Seat tube wall thickness

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 02:44 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Seat tube wall thickness

What's a good wall thickness for a ST that is good for a fillet that will help reduce warpage at the top tube? I fully understand that heat controls rules all, but I still want to be a cautious as possible. 0.9, 1.1, 1.0? What works best for a happy medium?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Old 08-16-19, 06:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Part of the issue with the ST/TT junction is the binder for the post. Too thin a ST wall and you get stretch city and the slot can close up more easily over time. Especially if you're a tad undersized on the post diameter dur to distortion and a reluctance to ream because of the thin wall. (Like the flow of events?)

For a skilled builder a .8 or .9 wall might be a practical min at this junction. But I would feel far better with a 1.1/1.2 wall on an externally butted tube. Andy
Old 08-17-19, 06:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I always use external butted seat tubes with 1.1 or 1.2 mm wall thickness. The thickness depends on what brand tubing I buy and not a personal preference for either. The only issue that I've found with using external butted seat tubes(for 27.2 seat posts) is the very limited option for 29.8mm seat post clamps. The only options I've found are Thomson, some Chinese ones on Ebay(Zoagear) and I think Nova sells one. There are a few QR clamps in that size, but I don't consider them a serious option.
Old 08-21-19, 11:24 AM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
....There are a few QR clamps in that size, but I don't consider them a serious option.

Why?
Old 08-21-19, 01:39 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Originally Posted by calstar
Why?
I've never seen a QR clamp that worked as well as a bolt on clamp. They always seem to allow the seatpost to slip. I just don't see a need for a QR clamp on anything but a rental bike. I would never put one on a bike that I own or a frame that I build for someone else.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-21-19, 01:54 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
See above. Ok, I get it, you're talking about the non brazed slip on clamp, not a brazed barrel or tabs using a quick release lever, and not a crappy open lever like the in the pic but a closed over cam type.

Old 08-24-19, 02:35 AM
duanedr 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
I have used a few externally butted ST but, my preference is to use a seattube that is butted with a seatpost end with 0.6mm walls (28.6mm for 27.2mm post). Then, I add a roughly 1mm thick sleeve (0.058" turned down to 0.040") which brings it to roughly 1.6mm wall thickness. There is also another 0.25mm or so of filler material.