Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Seven Years Since the Last Century

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-28-19, 01:22 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts

...and I thought it was high time to do it again. The San Diego Century is fairly brutal, but it's so beautiful riding around North County it's well worth it. I retired from my job at the end of last year and started training for it. Retirement lasted all of two weeks before they called me and asked me to come back, so training got sidetracked. But I'd already paid for the ride, so I figured I'd finish it or die trying (could have gone either way at a few points along the way). Yes, it was a few months ago, but it took me a while to work up the courage to share my results:

At 61 years old and 265 lbs., it felt like an accomplishment just to finish. So of course, I signed up for another, less hilly, century in November. My weight's down a little and fitness is improving, so there's hope.
Likes For giffenf:
Old 08-28-19, 01:41 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
That's close to three times the elevation gain that I'd see over 100 miles in these parts. But, I'm guessing the scenery there is just a little better.
Old 08-28-19, 06:57 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I live in a fairly flat part of the country and doing the two century rides I did last year and the year before nearly wasted me. I couldn't imagine doing 100 miles in hill country.
Old 08-29-19, 09:44 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
nice job the purple monster climb to Ramona can get pretty hot out there. But OOOOOOOO so nice heading back to the cooler coast
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-29-19, 12:51 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
nice job the purple monster climb to Ramona can get pretty hot out there. But OOOOOOOO so nice heading back to the cooler coast
Yeah, there was a headwind going down this time, improved cooling effect, but made for a slower descent.
Old 08-29-19, 01:22 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by giffenf
...and I thought it was high time to do it again. The San Diego Century is fairly brutal, but it's so beautiful riding around North County it's well worth it. I retired from my job at the end of last year and started training for it. Retirement lasted all of two weeks before they called me and asked me to come back, so training got sidetracked. But I'd already paid for the ride, so I figured I'd finish it or die trying (could have gone either way at a few points along the way). Yes, it was a few months ago, but it took me a while to work up the courage to share my results:

At 61 years old and 265 lbs., it felt like an accomplishment just to finish. So of course, I signed up for another, less hilly, century in November. My weight's down a little and fitness is improving, so there's hope.

Chapeau to you. Anyone who would scoff at your effort isn't worth your time. That said, I highly doubt anyone here would; lots of good folks here. Great effort and result
Old 08-29-19, 01:34 PM
Osprey 1
Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great job! I would really have to look around to find that much elevation in a 100 miles!
Old 09-04-19, 02:42 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Outstanding! I did my first(and only so far) century in March and it was less than 20% of the elevation gain you had. Kudos to you and keep going!
Old 09-12-19, 04:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Actually if you check the math more carefully I think you'll find it's been 19 years since the last century
Likes For RubeRad: