Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium Mongoose road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 11:40 PM
raciere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the quest for my first road bike continues... this forum has been very helpful w/ my previous questions.
came across a bike today that seems tempting, but i do not know much about mongoose titanium road bikes...

it is one of the 'made in usa' mongoose ti frames... not sure which model. bike is outfitted w/ a kinesis 2 carbon frame... a virtually new shimano 105 gruppo, tripple front w/ ultegra rear... everything is in great shape... and they're asking $700. is that a crazy low price,? i just dont know anything about mongoose titanium. any thoughts welcome. thx.
Old 07-12-04, 11:59 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mongoose titanium road frames were originally made by a large frame manufacturing house in Kent, WA. This same manufacturing house also made titanium frames for LeMond such as the Tete de Course and a local brand called TiCycles up until a couple years ago. They're good frames. I'm assuming this is a used bike or one that's from around 2000?
Old 07-13-04, 12:26 AM
raciere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, used... not sure of year, but probably around 2000. just wondering if its a real bang for buck bike.
Old 07-13-04, 12:36 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If it were me, I'd get it. This of course assumes it fits. The frame is solid. Also when you said "outfitted w/ a kinesis 2 carbon frame", I assume you meant fork and not frame. Do you happen to know if it's the one with the carbon steerer or cro-mo steerer? You could get them in either as I recall. Not that it matters much but if it's got a full carbon steerer that's an even better deal. The Kinesis Carbon 2 Fork isn't a terribly great fork and certainly can't compare to say the industry favourite (Reynolds Ouzo Pro) but it gets the job done. The full carbon steerer option would make it lighter.
Old 07-13-04, 12:39 AM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TST did the Mongooses, right Khuon? I thought TiCycles always did their own Ti? Anyway, no complaints about TST's quality - it's pretty good from all accounts. Not sure about Mongooses geometry or road manners though.
Old 07-13-04, 12:57 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Thylacine
TST did the Mongooses, right Khuon? I thought TiCycles always did their own Ti?
Yes, you're correct on both accounts. TiCycles used to do their own frames but have since farmed out their production. Both are of equally good quality I think.

Originally Posted by Thylacine
Anyway, no complaints about TST's quality - it's pretty good from all accounts. Not sure about Mongooses geometry or road manners though.
I think their frame geometry was fairly neutral with a 73/73 head/seat angle and a 41cm chainstay. It should be a fairly comfortable and stable bike.
Old 07-13-04, 05:58 AM
Thhaze
The Clefty freakin' Boys

Bikes: Tommaso Ti frame w/dura ace, KHS flight 500, Myata 110, Motiv Rockpoint softtail, Motive Cross Creek Hybrid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
Yes, you're correct on both accounts. TiCycles used to do their own frames but have since farmed out their production. Both are of equally good quality I think.

I think their frame geometry was fairly neutral with a 73/73 head/seat angle and a 41cm chainstay. It should be a fairly comfortable and stable bike.

Nashbar is selling the frames now. $600.00
Old 07-13-04, 07:34 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by raciere
the quest for my first road bike continues... this forum has been very helpful w/ my previous questions.
came across a bike today that seems tempting, but i do not know much about mongoose titanium road bikes...

it is one of the 'made in usa' mongoose ti frames... not sure which model. bike is outfitted w/ a kinesis 2 carbon frame... a virtually new shimano 105 gruppo, tripple front w/ ultegra rear... everything is in great shape... and they're asking $700. is that a crazy low price,? i just dont know anything about mongoose titanium. any thoughts welcome. thx.

I've have about 5000 miles on a 54 cm TST Mongoose Ti frame purchased a couple of years ago direct from TST (FFBR00 model). Overall I like it a lot. The build quality of the frame is as good or better than the Litespeeds I've owned. Best thing is that they use stout tubes, including a 1.5" down tube, so it's no flexi flyer.

The down side to these frames is the lack of cashe value. You can get a brand new one for less than $600 (frame only), and used sell for even less, although I haven't seen many used one on the market (maybe this is the telling sign of quality).

$700 sounds about right if the components are in good shape.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 09-15-19, 04:33 PM
mousemeat

Bikes: 1985 Mongoose ATB. 1991 Schwinn Paramount series 2 , 1999 Mongoose pro. 10.9 1997 Ritchey

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Picked up a similar mongoose...for $800.00....Thought it was well worth it...rode very well....great bike, only negative..being the sneers and the evil eye from Cannondale, trek, etc riders...when they eye ball the mongoose name-logo....I get an kick out of staying right with them..on rides.....oh, the joy!
Old 09-15-19, 07:05 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Mongooses were cool AF back in the day... I'd say a Mongoose road bike in ti has the right to reclaim that mantle.

Some redemption for the name for the damage inflicted by all that BSO garbage.

But the perfect BMX brand for this would have to be Redline. Those were always trick.