Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt Won’t Start

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 03-25-18, 01:35 PM
akod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

My Elemnt Bolt was working fine. Now it won’t start - the Wahoo logo comes up, the light comes on and then it repeatable over and over. I’ve tried the hard reset 6-7 times and still no luck. It’s Sunday so I haven’t had a chance to contact Wahoo Support yet.

I’ve been searching the forum for a while. Any ideas appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by akod; 03-25-18 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 08:25 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Plug it in? Wait until Monday? Really, if the power is low that's what mine does.
Old 03-25-18, 08:58 PM
akod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks - trying to let it run down.

Originally Posted by zacster
Plug it in? Wait until Monday? Really, if the power is low that's what mine does.
Thanks - it was at about 60% last time I shut it down. I'm going to try the opposite and let it run down and see what happens.
Old 03-26-18, 09:20 AM
akod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turns out the Bolt hard reset is the power button + the front right button for 10 seconds. This isn’t written down anywhere. It looks like it worked though.
Likes For akod:
Old 03-26-18, 10:51 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
As noted on the Wahoo website after a Google

"Forced Reboot: Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to perform a forced reboot. e.g. Generally used if the screen becomes non-responsive."
"Factory Reset: Accessible from the Settings menu, restores settings to factory default. Warning: Will delete all workouts stored on the device."
Old 03-26-18, 11:28 AM
akod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt "Hard or Forced Reset" Steps

Originally Posted by Steve B.
As noted on the Wahoo website after a Google

"Forced Reboot: Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to perform a forced reboot. e.g. Generally used if the screen becomes non-responsive."
"Factory Reset: Accessible from the Settings menu, restores settings to factory default. Warning: Will delete all workouts stored on the device."
Hi:

Thank you for the reply. I searched Google (and even Bing) for a couple hours myself. Unfortunately, for the Elemnt Bolt model, this is not correct for the Forced Rest / Hard Reset to get a "stuck / non-responsive" unit moving (Factory Reset is correct, but you need to have a fully booted, functioning unit to be able to navigate to the Settings menu). I eventually found it by accident by using different key combinations and later Wahoo Support verified it as follows, in case it's helpful for anyone else.

--> Wahoo Elemnt Bolt "Forced or Hard Reset" <--: Press the front, lower right hand corner button + the Power button on the Left side of the unit for 10 seconds.

--> Wahoo Support advises not to use the Hard Reset except as a last resort.
--> NOTE: You should not lose your screen setup or customizations with a Hard Reset (that was my experience at least - "your mileage may vary").

Cheers,

Akod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 03-26-18, 12:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by akod
Hi:

Thank you for the reply. I searched Google (and even Bing) for a couple hours myself. Unfortunately, for the Elemnt Bolt model, this is not correct for the Forced Rest / Hard Reset to get a "stuck / non-responsive" unit moving (Factory Reset is correct, but you need to have a fully booted, functioning unit to be able to navigate to the Settings menu). I eventually found it by accident by using different key combinations and later Wahoo Support verified it as follows, in case it's helpful for anyone else.

--> Wahoo Elemnt Bolt "Forced or Hard Reset" <--: Press the front, lower right hand corner button + the Power button on the Left side of the unit for 10 seconds.

--> Wahoo Support advises not to use the Hard Reset except as a last resort.
--> NOTE: You should not lose your screen setup or customizations with a Hard Reset (that was my experience at least - "your mileage may vary").

Cheers,

Akod
Since other like me might misconstrue the directions, you might want to post this on the Wahoo Google forum, so that others equally as confused as I was, would gain from your experience.

Cheers Back !
Old 03-26-18, 12:17 PM
akod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great idea. Will do!
Old 03-26-18, 12:23 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Thanks, this is good to know.
Old 06-24-18, 11:16 AM
stevecoh1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This also happened to me.

I had just fully charged my Elemnt overnight and it was fully charged. I turned it on and it was into the endless loop. The Wahoo name came on, it stayed on for about 30 seconds, then gave up, ad infinitum. There was no way to turn it off.

I came here for advice and immediately misread the instructions on Hard Reset. Instead of Power + Right Button for 10 seconds, I did Power + Center Button for 10 seconds. This also worked. The unit turned off and when I restarted it, it came on properly with nothing lost.

What causes this? Is there a firmware change that would fix it?
Old 09-07-19, 02:07 PM
deedeehoptone

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akod
Hi,

My Elemnt Bolt was working fine. Now it won’t start - the Wahoo logo comes up, the light comes on and then it repeatable over and over. I’ve tried the hard reset 6-7 times and still no luck. It’s Sunday so I haven’t had a chance to contact Wahoo Support yet.

I’ve been searching the forum for a while. Any ideas appreciated! Thank you!
Same here, it just received an 'update' and now it's stuck in a rebooting cycle. Battery is at least 90%. Hard resets have no effect.

This on my first day of a 2 week cycling holiday...lesson learned is 'dont trust technology, buy a paper map'.

Bollocks.
Old 09-08-19, 12:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I don't bother with paper maps. I download the area of interest to my phone from google maps. I also d/l courses from ride with gps to my phone. So far I haven't had to use either, but I'm glad I have them.
Old 09-09-19, 05:19 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by deedeehoptone
Same here, it just received an 'update' and now it's stuck in a rebooting cycle. Battery is at least 90%. Hard resets have no effect.

This on my first day of a 2 week cycling holiday...lesson learned is 'dont trust technology, buy a paper map'.

Bollocks.
Make sure your phone is connected to the internet, and your Wahoo is nearby and connected. Put on your HRM even, because sometimes it is caused by "sensor update required".

There have been a lot of "forced upgrades" lately, and you may be stuck in one.

When the phone is connected to Wahoo, and location and Bluetooth are BOTH on, then go to setting on phone and find upgrade (this is from memory)
Old 04-01-20, 11:30 AM
dauist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for these instructions. The incorrect information is still posted on the Wahoo support site. I got the constant reboot issue on a brand new out of the box Elemnt Bolt and almost had to return it.
Old 06-03-21, 08:49 AM
Zurfer1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frustrated Element User

Help, Help and Help! I am on my 3rd Wahoo Element and always the same problem: it goes dead, I try to charge 16 hours, and then unresponsive despite rebooting attempts. Am I the only one? Should I try a different cycling computer? If it is user error, I would like to know. I get flashing yellow lights across the top when pressing the on switch, or sometimes, a single green light. Should I go Garmin?
Old 06-08-21, 12:04 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Try powering on with charging cord still attached.

If the battery is fried, it may power up and die almost immediately when the cord is removed.

Barry
Old 06-10-21, 07:52 AM
Zurfer1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Try powering on with charging cord still attached.

If the battery is fried, it may power up and die almost immediately when the cord is removed.

Barry
I have tried everything, including your suggestion. I have lost hope in the unit.
Old 06-10-21, 09:46 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Wahoo Support

I've found Wahoo Support to be incredibly good.
Open a case and see what they can do for you.

Barry
BTW have you seen their article on "Bolt wont turn on"

HELP! MY ELEMNT/BOLT/ROAM DOESN'T TURN ON!

If your ELEMNT/BOLT/ROAM is not turning on by holding down the left side power button, try the following:
  • Charge the ELEMNT/ BOLT/ROAM using a non-Apple brand wall charger with a power block rated for at least 2-3 amps, for 1 hour or more.
  • Avoid using Apple brand USB charging blocks and desktop/laptop/automobile USB ports as these often do not provide a full charge.
  • Try charging using a different charging cable as older cables may not be able to support ELEMNT/BOLT/ROAM power requirements, can potentially be shorted, fractured or fatigued, or provide only data (but not power).
  • After 1 hour of charging with a non-Apple USB block and a different cable, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Last edited by Barry2; 06-10-21 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 08:51 PM
Jeffreyjonkoch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have the flashing yellow, won't boot up syndrome. Did you ever find a fix?