Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

I'm going car free in 2019 for the first time, but have one glaring obstacle...

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

I'm going car free in 2019 for the first time, but have one glaring obstacle...

Old 01-17-19, 04:06 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
I Like to Bike and Maelochs,

How about knocking off discussing the “crap” in people’s head? It’s insulting
Old 01-17-19, 04:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I Like to Bike and Maelochs,

How about knocking off discussing the “crap” in people’s head? It’s insulting
I was talking about the crap in my own head ... who was I insulting?

Old 01-17-19, 08:12 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Sorry Maelochs. I misinterpreted what you meant.

Stan
Old 01-17-19, 08:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Sorry Maelochs. I misinterpreted what you meant.

Stan
LOL, quite alright. You know the policeman's creed about youths: "If he didn't just do something wrong, he's about to." I have gotten away with a few, I am sure.
Old 01-27-19, 11:41 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Sticky9
Well... I've been relying on the better half to get the dogs to the park and everything has gone smoothly. I'm still looking for options to get them there. I think some of y'all misunderstood my post. The dogs are fine (I have kept rescue/problem dogs my entire life. I know how to understand them very well), and the deer population at my local park is not being changed by my dog chasing them around in a field for 30 minutes lol. I'm just trying to get ideas on what I could do. I appreciate the helpful posts.
Hi Sticky,

If you are still around I was thinking of your situation again (more about riding with dogs than vehicle transport) as I made a little video riding with my dog this weekend. I put it in the gravel section but I think it also applies here.

I think having two dogs does create more of a problem overall. As I said in my previous post, two dogs tend to bond and take cues from each other and one thing (I think) you really need to ride with a dog in civilization is the ability to reliably recall the dog on command. That's one of the first things I work on when just walking and letting them off leash. If the dog doesn't return it loses the privilege but part of that success comes from creating a close enough bond in all aspects of life so it wants to listen or having at least one of the dogs obey so that the other one learns by following it.

I do see someone locally running two and even three dogs sled style on a large adult scooter using pulling harnesses. The giant Schnauzer could do that fine (for fun) but it would instill a stronger pull drive which you may not want for walking. But if you got into it it would fulfill the need for exercise and help them bond to you as you direct their travel more directly. Sledders are very close to their dogs.

Or, you could take turns walking one dog beside the bike while the other rides in a crate on a trailer. This reduces the trailer spec need to just an ordinary limit and not double. That would also have the effect of letting you bond individually and correct behavior by crating or running.

This all seems like a lot of thinking and fiddly work but you need to do it initially to develop the right parameters down the road - doubly so for two dogs. Once established the running/riding becomes fun. If you are considering going LCF, and using a bicycle for primary transport, and if you consider a dogs active lifespan can be 10+ years, the initial investment in thought and training can set you up for years of success

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-27-19 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 01:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Hi Sticky,

If you are still around I was thinking of your situation again (more about riding with dogs than vehicle transport) as I made a little video riding with my dog this weekend. I put it in the gravel section but I think it also applies here.
Nice video, well made and instructive You ain't kidding about your dog's love of running. Unclipping the leash on the run looks dangerous.
Old 01-27-19, 03:32 PM
Happy Feet

It's a work in progress. I'm currently working on a harness idea that has a D ring that stands proud combined with a clip that releases better under tension. Part of it is planning ahead and not trying to do it when distractions or rough ground are present. I look at each run as a training session for both her and I

My thoughts to the OP are that going LCF and having two dogs means you really have to put some thought and training into making it work.
Old 01-27-19, 07:29 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
You mention that your SO enjoys coming to the park with you "most days" so why not just go on the days that they are willing to go? Don't think of it as depriving the dogs - they're still going to get way more free-running playtime than most dogs, and are in a far better position than they were with past owners.

On the days you don't have access to a vehicle, take them on local walks on leash, or see it there is a closer park where dog owners congregate where they can socialize if they are not too shy or aggressive.
Old 01-27-19, 08:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,428 Posts
@Happy Feet, that's a delightful video. What software do you use for editing? Your dog is so cute and so good, and you are a superb dog trainer.

I've run dogs holding the leash but I don't like using a hand and keeping the bike upright. Besides, the dog tends to run in front of the wheel. I like to use a rod (like a broomstick) attached to the back of the bike and the leash attached to that so she can't come farther forward than my body.

Beautiful country. Where are you?

I can't believe she can do that for 20 km and still have energy. But I don't have experience with high energy dogs. The two dogs I've owned were greyhounds, the lowest stamina dog in creation. I sometimes get my kid's pit bull mix, and she's higher energy, but also doesn't have the stamina your dog has.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-28-19, 01:03 AM
Happy Feet

Thanks Tom,

I just use the movie maker software that comes with windows.

I live just outside Vancouver BC Canada.

As to dog training. IDK. If anything I tend to form a very close bond to my dogs that makes them want to respond to direction. Not like orders so much as a working relationship but I am pretty firm on specific boundaries for them. I really like Cesar Milan's ideas about being a pack leader.
Old 01-28-19, 08:49 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Thanks Tom,

I just use the movie maker software that comes with windows.

I live just outside Vancouver BC Canada.

As to dog training. IDK. If anything I tend to form a very close bond to my dogs that makes them want to respond to direction. Not like orders so much as a working relationship but I am pretty firm on specific boundaries for them. I really like Cesar Milan's ideas about being a pack leader.
Agree with others; that's a lovely video, Happy Feet. Happy pup, well-minded already. My kind of riding; too old/fragile now for full-on mtb, but I will always prefer off-road of some kind. Oh, and I'm originally from the Island, so your clip is homesick-inducing!

Kudos!