Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Touch screen distraction.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Touch screen distraction.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 10:20 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Aircraft have had standardized controls (with each type of control knob having a different shape/feel) for any aircraft from a Cessna 152 to a Boeing 747. In addition, the FAA disallows electronic distractions such as tablets and smart phones in the cockpit during certain critical times.

We should do that for automobiles, but it will probably never happen.
Old 07-31-19, 02:19 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Aircraft have had standardized controls (with each type of control knob having a different shape/feel) for any aircraft from a Cessna 152 to a Boeing 747. In addition, the FAA disallows electronic distractions such as tablets and smart phones in the cockpit during certain critical times.

We should do that for automobiles, but it will probably never happen.
Oddly, cars DID have such tactile controls before the damn touch screens... and things like radios were standardized... 5 buttons and two knobs.

The argument that drivers "wanted" the infotainment systems is bogus... they never knew they existed before. They were SOLD on those systems. And few drivers read the 450 page manuals that come with new cars. My wife's 2016 Mazda 3 has such a manual... I'm a technical guy, and STILL have to refer to the manual for some things... fortunately, I usually ride in the co-pilot seat.

When I drive, I don't even use the Bluetooth.

I keep my phone unlinked to the car... and buried in my pocket. If you call... leave a message... it will remember you, until I am ready to pull over and safely deal with a call or message. Funny how well and conveniently that works... yet somehow folks just HAVE to answer the dang messages RIGHT NOW... as if nothing else is going on.

My '97 F150 has none of that stuff... and frankly, I still feel like it has too much electronics buried in it. The damn windshield wipers are electronically controlled... however, every control IS a tactile knob, switch or slider... not a tiny button or touch screen. I can find those controls with my eyes closed.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-31-19, 02:38 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Some of the infotainment screens are difficult to read compounding the problem. Wearing polarized sunglasses makes the info on the screen “disappear.”
I am a fisherman. Am I ever familiar with the annoyances of a glass screen when using polarized glasses. I have to remove them to see the electronic screens on my boat.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-04-19, 10:22 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I suspect the automakers don't put this stuff in out of the goodness of their hearts. It is because consumers want it. In other words, the enemy is us (some of us anyways).
Motoring journalists promote it too, telling people it's what they should expect, and criticizing vehicles with basic systems.

And it's just stupidity. How easy is it to turn the blowers on in an old car? Turn a dial. 1-4 speeds. No need to take your eye off the road.

Now? Seems like half of new cars require you to go into the infotainment screen to access such simple functions, and you can't do that without looking at the touch screen.

How can anyone be impressed by, or want use of, this crap?
Old 08-07-19, 04:55 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Motoring journalists promote it too, telling people it's what they should expect, and criticizing vehicles with basic systems.

And it's just stupidity. How easy is it to turn the blowers on in an old car? Turn a dial. 1-4 speeds. No need to take your eye off the road.

Now? Seems like half of new cars require you to go into the infotainment screen to access such simple functions, and you can't do that without looking at the touch screen.

How can anyone be impressed by, or want use of, this crap?
As someone in an earlier thread pointed out, there is often a way to use certain features without looking at the touch screen... and yeah, in my wife's car... there are a bunch of tiny buttons, that I have to look at to figure out where and what they are. Fan speed, for instance, is NOT a slider control, or even a knob... it is an up arrow button that has to be jabbed at repeatedly.

So this shows that even the attention given to old style tactile controls is somewhat lost.

My old '97 F150 has one control on the turn signal stem... rotate it to control the windshield wiper. It has 3 LARGE buttons on the steering wheel. Cruise control on/off, speed up, slow down.

The rest of the controls on the dash are sliders, knobs, and positive position selector switches. And they are all big.

The radio however is a PITA... my son gave me an aftermarket radio with CD player... tiny buttons... tiny display with too much useless information. Fortunately, a very large volume knob. I tend to listen to one station, if I listen at all... so vol up/vol down works fine. The real irony is the damn thing has a clock function... that would take a magnifying glass to read... totally useless... but no doubt some marketing guy said... "can we put in a clock?"
Old 08-07-19, 12:11 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Yep, fussing around with cars at the local new car show, I was appalled at the complicated, non-intuitive, non-tactile touch screen controls on modern autos. Have the manufacturers all laid off their human factors engineers?

Then in a rental, they remove the owner's manual.

Originally Posted by genec
Now try that arrangement with the steering wheel on the left...
Move the accelerator to a stalk on the steering column. Ignition advance is on a second steering column stalk. The clutch is on a left-hand lever, which also acts as a gear shift sometimes. The parking brake is on a lever next to the clutch lever. Forward shift is on the left pedal but this also involves the clutch lever; engaging reverse is on the right pedal and the brake is the middle pedal.

Enjoy your drive in a Ford Model T.
Old 08-08-19, 06:04 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I was watching hill climbing at Goodwood Festival of Speed recently, and a vintage Mercedes required the passenger to manually pump the petrol to the engine...
Old 08-13-19, 05:51 AM
genec
genec

The US Navy has had enough of touchscreens and is going back to physical controls for its destroyers, according to a report last week in USNI News. Starting next summer the Navy will refit its DDG-51 destroyer fleet with a physical throttle and helm control system. The effort is a response to feedback the Navy solicited in the wake of a pair of fatal crashes involving that class of ship during 2017.

We really made the helm control system, specifically on the [DDG] 51 class, just overly complex, with the touch screens under glass and all this kind of stuff," said Rear Admiral Bill Galinis during a recent speech quoted by USNI News.

It's a warning that the auto industry could do well to listen to. Touchscreens continue to proliferate into car infotainment systems, a trend fueled by the plaudits given to Tesla for its huge touchscreens as well as a general belief that CES-primed customers are asking for more and more consumer tech in their vehicles. But there's mounting evidence that touch interfaces are an awful idea for a driver who is supposed to be—literally—focusing on the road ahead, not hunting for an icon or slider on a screen.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08...uld-too/?amp=1

Sure, touchscreens have their place, but not as a major component for controlling features in a moving car.

The answer is to go back to simplr knobs and sliders... and lock out touch screens while the vehicle is moving.
There should also be a fast tactile control to black out the screens.
Likes For genec:
Old 08-23-19, 05:13 AM
genec
genec

Hey, new Porche has 5 screens...

Go figure.

Meanwhile...
Honda, oddly, went heavy on the touch screen controls but found them reviled and later dumped some things in favor of old fashion buttons and knobs. So it will be interesting to see how people take in Porsche’s setup.
https://jalopnik.com/the-electric-po...1837487790/amp
Old 08-23-19, 05:43 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Boiling frog syndrome.

Full automation is being rolled out.

Driving ability continues to decline, go figure.

I opted out years ago, carnage isn't my thing.
Old 08-23-19, 07:34 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by SHBR
Boiling frog syndrome.

Full automation is being rolled out.

Driving ability continues to decline, go figure.

I opted out years ago, carnage isn't my thing.
It may be in some distant future that only cyclists understand the "rules of the road."
Old 08-23-19, 08:55 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Not everyone follows the rules of the road, or even know they exist.

There are plenty of cyclists that fit into this category.