Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading LII

Old 08-27-19, 10:52 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Oh no! You and @TrojanHorse!

Maybe put the fixie on it for punishment.
Not me, I'm too cheap to run the AC so it's really too hot to ride inside lately.
Old 08-27-19, 11:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Not me, I'm too cheap to run the AC so it's really too hot to ride inside lately.
Oh. My. God.

Old 08-28-19, 09:08 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
But you just got it fixed!

Not an option here, we didn’t have AC in our first house when we bought it. That was OK the first summer, we were both working during the day. By second summer the wife was pregnant and not digging a hot house, so AC was added forthwith. Happy wife, happy life, as they say. This year in the OC our summer has been pretty mild, we have not needed the AC most days. The heat warnings seem to stay east of the Santa Ana mountains most of the time. Sorry about that Doc!
Old 08-28-19, 11:00 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

You might be an IE cyclist if you're riding along and say to yourself, "Hey, it's pretty cool this morning." Then bring up the screen with the thermometer and it's 91º.

I genuinely don't start to feel even warm on the bike until the high 90s. "This is dumb" starts around 105º. And even still, 105º > trainer.
Old 08-28-19, 11:04 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I ride the trainer with the AC at a cool 68 degrees (no fan blowing on me) and I still end up with a good puddle of sweat under me.
Old 08-28-19, 11:10 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

When I was relegated to the trainer with a busted hand, I used the 1hp centrifugal blower from my table saw's dust evacuator as a fan-- it moves 650CFM out of a 4 inch hole. I don't wear a jersey on the trainer, and still sweat like a mule.

I had to have my cast replaced twice. The smell was amazing.
Old 08-28-19, 11:35 AM
jimincalif

We get our hottest days in OC usually in the fall, when there is high pressure inland and a very slight offshore flow. Downslope compression and no sea breeze really cooks here. I was riding home about mid October 4 years ago. Riding thru Irvine on the San Diego creek trail (almost flat) about 13 mph my heart rate was 165, it was hot, yeah, but I didn't realize how hot. Stopped at a drinking fountain, filled and drank two bottles, filled it again and dumped it over me and set off for Lake Forest, about 7 miles to go with two full bottles. Had to stop in the shade near Costco and dump another bottle over me, drank the other one by the time I got home. Looked at the outside thermometer, it was 107. That's too hot!
Old 08-28-19, 12:12 PM
dagray

We get our hottest days in OC usually in the fall, when there is high pressure inland and a very slight offshore flow. Downslope compression and no sea breeze really cooks here. I was riding home about mid October 4 years ago. Riding thru Irvine on the San Diego creek trail (almost flat) about 13 mph my heart rate was 165, it was hot, yeah, but I didn't realize how hot. Stopped at a drinking fountain, filled and drank two bottles, filled it again and dumped it over me and set off for Lake Forest, about 7 miles to go with two full bottles. Had to stop in the shade near Costco and dump another bottle over me, drank the other one by the time I got home. Looked at the outside thermometer, it was 107. That's too hot!
Here in NE Oregon it is desert complete with goat heads, Russian Olive, Sage Brush and sand. It usually is over 100 degrees here in the summer (as high as 120), but this summer seems mild with only a few days that have been over 100 degrees (around 104-109). It also is very dry here even though we are on the Columbia River. Sometimes in the summer it is better to ride the trainer than to try and brave the heat.
Old 08-28-19, 12:13 PM
dagray

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
When I was relegated to the trainer with a busted hand, I used the 1hp centrifugal blower from my table saw's dust evacuator as a fan-- it moves 650CFM out of a 4 inch hole. I don't wear a jersey on the trainer, and still sweat like a mule.

A smell that could knock a buzzard off of a gut wagon... I know I have been there with a cast for a broken wrist.
Old 08-28-19, 09:05 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by dagray
Here in NE Oregon it is desert complete with goat heads, Russian Olive, Sage Brush and sand. It usually is over 100 degrees here in the summer (as high as 120), but this summer seems mild with only a few days that have been over 100 degrees (around 104-109). It also is very dry here even though we are on the Columbia River. Sometimes in the summer it is better to ride the trainer than to try and brave the heat.
Yeah, thats what I will be dealing with when we move to the Boise area.
Old 08-29-19, 08:09 AM
dagray

Boise is about three hours east of me on I-84. when you come through Boardman look me up and I will buy you a cup of coffee (or a beer). We have our own brewery that does only beer.
Old 08-29-19, 09:35 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

read somewhere it takes nearly 4k cfm to cool the body to replicate the outdoors. and spread over the entire body. I have a nice 24" fan that moves good air, doubt it will work well enough. Can't believe the wahoo blower/fan is $250, uses your HR signal for it's PWM controller. Pretty techy but dang expensive.

Either case, the fan or tv will likely be the loudest part of the setup, WAAAAAY upgrade to my old performance fluid trainer from 2003 or something. Bought it for warm up at MTB races.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-29-19, 12:28 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Jim, you don't have to move that far away to find wonderful desert climate
Old 08-29-19, 01:59 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by jsigone
read somewhere it takes nearly 4k cfm to cool the body to replicate the outdoors. and spread over the entire body. I have a nice 24" fan that moves good air, doubt it will work well enough. Can't believe the wahoo blower/fan is $250, uses your HR signal for it's PWM controller. Pretty techy but dang expensive.

Either case, the fan or tv will likely be the loudest part of the setup, WAAAAAY upgrade to my old performance fluid trainer from 2003 or something. Bought it for warm up at MTB races.
My wife uses an indoor trainer. I bought her a Lasko fan with a remote, and bluetooth earbuds and a Bluetooth transmitter for the TV.
Old 08-29-19, 02:00 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by dagray
Boise is about three hours east of me on I-84. when you come through Boardman look me up and I will buy you a cup of coffee (or a beer). We have our own brewery that does only beer.
Sounds like a plan, we will be doing some exploring when we get up there in a couple years. And my sister lives in Hood River.
Old 08-29-19, 02:02 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by tunavic
Jim, you don't have to move that far away to find wonderful desert climate
Wonderful? My cousins grew up in Blythe, I know all about that “wonderful” desert.

If’n I’m going to be in a not-OC climate, I might as well have grandkids around to have fun with! And where I can still get plastic straws, grocery bags and buy ammo!
Old 08-29-19, 02:58 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

and buy ammo!
that new law is such a money grab and time waster. I had sales reps in from Germany and bough 8 different caliber ammo. I had to sign 8 papers, more than I needed to sell my old home

flip side, everyone is Riverside is scared to buy ammo, so Bass Pro shop was fully stocked on match grade rifle ammo I needed for Pala's 875yd targets
Old 08-29-19, 03:17 PM
dagray

last time I bought ammo I purchased a case of 75 grain .223 for coyote hunting, and had it drop shipped to my door.

I am glad buying ammo here hasn't gone the way of CA with their new restrictive laws.
Old 08-29-19, 03:49 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

@dagray yah I can't even have it shipped to my door in this state. I can ship it to my LGS, pay a FEE and drive it home, oh and we have to run background checks every time we buy ammo. And sign for every caliber we bought. Caliber description and QTY on each form.

I used Hornady Black 75grain in my 18" AR. Light winds and was easy to hit the 850-875 targets. Way more accurate inside 650 when still super sonic.
Old 08-29-19, 04:55 PM
dagray

Originally Posted by jsigone
@dagray yah I can't even have it shipped to my door in this state. I can ship it to my LGS, pay a FEE and drive it home, oh and we have to run background checks every time we buy ammo. And sign for every caliber we bought. Caliber description and QTY on each form.

I used Hornady Black 75grain in my 18" AR. Light winds and was easy to hit the 850-875 targets. Way more accurate inside 650 when still super sonic.
we only have to do the background check on transfer of firearms... unfortunately that also include private sales. I miss the days of going to a garage sale and finding a new toy, or having one of my buddies sell me a toy I wanted. I picked up a Ruger all weather in .223 for $300.00 a few years ago and it hadn't been shot... it even came with the scope rings.
Old 08-29-19, 05:46 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I stopped at the Eldo crit Tue on my way home on my commute as it was the last night of racing for the year. Sadly there was a tragic crash early in race and the rider involved passed away today as a result of his injuries. So sad.
Old 08-29-19, 07:16 PM
jimincalif

That’s terrible! RIP
Old 08-29-19, 09:12 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Wonderful? My cousins grew up in Blythe, I know all about that “wonderful” desert.

If’n I’m going to be in a not-OC climate, I might as well have grandkids around to have fun with! And where I can still get plastic straws, grocery bags and buy ammo!
Ouch, that hurts but I guess that's why I'm always riding in your areas
Likes For tunavic:
Old 08-31-19, 11:42 AM
dagray

Took old steel out today for a quick spin. 1984 model Centurion LeMans 12 speed given to me in Christmas of 1985. Got it down to the car wash and washed all the accumulation of dust and cobwebs off after it has sat for so many years. https://www.strava.com/activities/2668117931 I will have to have the bar grips (foam tubes) removed and then bar tape added, need to adjust the saddle (push it further back) and maybe raise the stem if I can, but all in all a nice smooth... did I say smooth? ride.
Old 08-31-19, 04:12 PM
dagray

My new cycling jersey got here today from Love 2 Pedal https://amazon.com/gp/product/B011GI...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.