Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Powder coater?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Powder coater?

Old 08-17-19, 05:57 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Powder coater?

Planning to have my touring bike re-powder coated after some repairs. It has S&S couplers.
I live in NE Ohio.
Wondering about a good shop to consider.
Your advice would be great!
Thanks!
Old 08-17-19, 08:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Any area bike shops have any suggestions? It would amaze me if Cleveland didn't have a few power coaters who do bikes already. And that a LBS would have seen some bikes done by the local PCers. Andy
Old 08-17-19, 10:46 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Andy, I work part-time at Mountain Road Cycle but we don't know anyone. I will ask around.
Old 08-18-19, 12:58 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
Powder coating is extremely popular today with folks restoring/resto-modding cars and customizing/accessorizing trucks and jeeps. Often these folks will have things like trailing arms and suspension pieces powder coated. (e.g. radiator mounting brackets, motor mounts, pitman arms, you name it, they do it, -mostly for the clean look and the protection advantage that P.C. has over paint.
Next time that you have some extra time and are driving by or cycling near NAPA, AUTOZONE, ADVANCE, O'REILLY's or any friendly local auto parts store, you should just stop in and ask the guys at the counter for leads on who in the metro area does Powder Coating. Lets face it, these counter folks are not busy with auto parts customers all of the time, and they are getting paid a straight hourly wage, so you are not disturbing them in any way. They probably will enjoy the conversation to lessen the boredom of certain slow times there at the parts counter. Just like the young idiot cycle crazy morons tend to work in bicycle shops, you will find that the folks working the parts counters at auto parts stores are typically serious enthusiasts in the automotive hobby too. They just tend to be smarter, wiser, slightly better educated and more responsible than the young morons that tend to work in bicycle shops. I'm sure you'll get a few good leads with this approach.

When you do find a Powder Coater near you and you take your frames and forks to them, be certain that you POINT OUT SPECIFICALLY, any threaded holes, or other areas where you do not wish to have the PC buildup cause issues with fitting the parts and accessories to the frame.
If you do not specifically show and detail such areas on the frame and concerns, they will not perhaps give it the importance. You will then have to deal with cleaning or re-threading/chasing the threads, etc to get the fit exactly as it should be.
Old 08-19-19, 09:45 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Wow...uh, thanks for the tip...
Old 08-21-19, 05:25 AM
Tandem Tom

The company,Groody Bros.,in Kansas was recommended over on Facebook. Anyone here familiar with them?
Thanks!
Old 08-21-19, 10:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Tom- I take it you have struck out with local outfits? Andy
Old 08-21-19, 10:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
The company,Groody Bros.,in Kansas was recommended over on Facebook. Anyone here familiar with them?
Thanks!
Yep, they're very good. They do a lot of C&V bikes. I had them do a 1978 Trek TX 900 that weirdly enough was missing a lot of paint when I picked it up. That's unusual for Treks as they have a quality paint job. I really need to take better pics of the bike but I was happy with the paint job.

Old 08-21-19, 11:13 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
some googling for possibles

this is a bike site https://www.centurycycles.com/help/c...rces-pg344.htm

it lists

Frame Painting

Ace Powder Coating, 3663 Massillon Rd, Uniontown, Ohio 44685 (330) 896-6365
Creative Powder Coatings, 6412 Gateway Blvd. South, Elyria, OH 44035 (440) 322-8197

I also found ace just in general googling

ACE Powder Coating - Akron - Canton - Cleveland - Ohio

Old 08-26-19, 04:14 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Prismatic Powders' site has an applicator finding database here: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/find-applicator