Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube Mini report

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Downtube Mini report

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 08:50 PM
trace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Downtube Mini report

I bought a Downtube Mini a few months ago and just thought I'd post an update for anyone who is curious about this bike. I just took this bike on a short trip where I rode 30-40 miles a day for a couple of days. I loved it! It was definitely comfortable for those distances (or longer I'm sure) and the gearing was great. Hills were no problem. I used to have a different 16" folding bike and that one was not very comfortable and the handling was a little weird ... I considered it a short-distance bike only. But the Downtube Mini feels like riding a full size bike to me. (In fact I prefer it in some ways to my full size touring bike, even apart from the obvious advantages of folding/small size that allow me to take it on buses, planes, into buildings, etc.) Note, I am only 5'1". I'm not sure how comfortable this bike would be for a tall person. The reach is pretty short.

The only drawback as compared to a full size bike is that it's noticeably more unstable going over bumps (pot holes, railroad tracks) or on gravel/rough surfaces.

I replaced/added/modified:
-replaced handlebar with a narrow straight bar
-added Origin8 toe straps
-replaced the tires with a narrower, slicker kevlar-belted tire (Primo Comet)
-replaced the saddle with a Terry Liberator (although the stock saddle was decent)
-added a front fender (it only comes with the back one)
-added front and rear lights
-added a bottle cage (but because the space available between the hinge and the handlepost is so short, it only fits a 12oz bottle)

I carry stuff in a backpack that's strapped onto the rear rack with a combination of Nite-Ize Gear Ties and a bungee cargo net. (Previously tried bungee cords but the Gear Ties and net work a lot better in keeping the backpack from wobbling around at all.) I also have a couple of small handlebar bags, one that holds a large water bottle and a squareish one that I carry my camera and camera accessories in.

The fold is not super compact compared to some other folding bikes and it's also reasonably heavy, but I don't really mind those things. It fits in an airline-legal bag when folded (under 62 linear inches.) And it's light enough to easily carry up stairs (I take the backpack off and carry that on my back if I have to pick up the bike.)

Likes For trace: