Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a used Giant OCR C3 2006 on FB Marketplace, advice needed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 11:51 AM
jetlagged

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A used Giant OCR C3 2006 for $375 on FB marketplace. what do you guys think.

Bikepedia Giant OCR C3

I haven't ridden a road bike in a few years. when i was riding, i considered myself a casual rider, would ride 1-2x a week for 30 miles around the countryside and foothills. the one I have which my friend gave away a trek 1200 2005 just doesnt fit well. way too big, and the top tube hits my crotch when standing over on the ground

I was looking at the local fb marketplace and saw the above bike. guy is selling is for $375. Description says it's a women's specific bike. but as long as it fits and rides well, i'm willing to consider buying it. i'm, 5'2". so when i saw that bike, i think it might fit me

1)is the above bike good? its 2006, so i'm I'm kinda concerned.
2) what kind of things should i look for when I check out the bike in person, how would i know the frame is in good condition?
3) the guy is selling it for $375, what's a good price to offer
4) any other advice and tips is appreciated.

thanks
Old 09-12-19, 02:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
For $375 it seems like a good deal. Offer less of course. It has 10 speed 105 components, not bad but not Dura Ace either.

Check the frame thoroughly before you buy. Any signs of cracks are a no-go. Scratches and chips are OK, no 13 year old bike will be perfect. Look underneath too. Spin the wheels, if they are grossly out of true the bike was probably crashed. Ride it. Check the shifting as you ride, brakes are probably in need of new pads. From the pics it looks to be in good shape.
Old 09-13-19, 05:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by jetlagged
how would i know the frame is in good condition?
I don't think it's possible for you to determine that. Probably few manufacturers know carbon as well as Giant, but 13 years could cover a lot of drops, dings, and so forth with unpredictable consequences. Pig in a poke.
Old 09-15-19, 04:21 PM
jetlagged

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses. I messaged the seller. He’s not the owner. He said he is selling it for a friend. I asked to see if there’s cracks or problems to the frame or if it has been dropped/been in serious accident. But according to him, the bike is in “fantastic condition”. He is unable to specify the mileage

what do you folks think?

Last edited by jetlagged; 09-15-19 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 07:07 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
That is a red flag. I once saw a listing that was too good to be true, and just out of curiosity emailed the guy if I could see it. Suddenly the bike was in London and they would ship it to me if I bought it. Sure thing bud.

Keep looking.
Old 09-16-19, 08:17 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Inspect the frame for cracks / good dents. Inspect wheels to make sure they are straight. Test ride the bike to make sure it ''feels'' ok and runs smooth. Also inspect the drive train (probably one of the most important thing). Teeth that looks like waves = component worn out. Measure the chain as well. If it's stretched, you need a new one. If you know someone that works at a bicycle shop, you can also bring the bike and have it inspected... See it has an aditionnal layer of insurance to your investment.

A 13 year old bike that was properly maintained its whole life is better than a 5 year old bike that was not maintained at all. Keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by jetlagged
Thanks for the responses. I messaged the seller. He’s not the owner. He said he is selling it for a friend. I asked to see if there’s cracks or problems to the frame or if it has been dropped/been in serious accident. But according to him, the bike is in “fantastic condition”. He is unable to specify the mileage

what do you folks think?
No red flag at all... Perhaps the owner doesn't have facebook / kijiji or internet at all... Just go see the bike & talk with the person. I sell a lot of things for my dad...

Last edited by eduskator; 09-16-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 10:58 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I'm an original owner of a 2006 Giant OCR-C3. The 2006 OCR-C3 is a good quality bike, but not super fast. It's a relaxed geometry bike and it's not light. I expect it to weigh at least 20lbs, possibly more in OEM condition. If it has the original Zerolight low spoke count wheels, do yourself a favor and buy a used set of Ksyriums and replace the wheels. The difference will be night and day in both acceleration and handling. The 10 speed 105 group is very good. I changed mine to Dura Ace triple, and saw very little performance improvement. However, I changed the crankset to a late model Ultegra triple and that change I liked.
Absolutely you should check the frame before purchasing if at all possible. I can tell you first hand that these frames take a lot of abuse and keep right on riding. Mine must have somewhere between 10K and 15K mileage before I relegated it to back up bike duty.
Downside, comparing the OCR-C3 to an older Tarmac, I'm about 1/2 to 1 MPH faster on the Tarmac compared to the OCR-C. Keep in mind, my OCR has the upgraded Ultegra crankset, carbon bars and a set of Ksyrium SL wheels. It weighs very close to 20lbs with pedals in place.