Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing pivot bolt in old sidepull brake

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 12:14 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts

I have a first-generation Dura Ace sidepull brake on my Austro Daimler Vent Noir.

The front wheel has a fender and a Son Edelux II, both of which mount onto the brake pivot bolt through the fork. The fender and light mounts are thick enough that, with everything on the bike, the brake pivot bolt isn't quite long enough to go completely through the nut on the back of the fork.

I had to remove the concave washer on the back of the fork. But even now I can only get maybe 5 threads of engagement.

So: I wonder if I can replace the pivot bolt in the brake with a longer one.

1. Is that possible?
2. Where does one buy a longer brake pivot bolt?
3. Is there another solution I haven't considered?
Old 09-15-19, 12:27 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
I have a first-generation Dura Ace sidepull brake on my Austro Daimler Vent Noir.

The front wheel has a fender and a Son Edelux II, both of which mount onto the brake pivot bolt through the fork. The fender and light mounts are thick enough that, with everything on the bike, the brake pivot bolt isn't quite long enough to go completely through the nut on the back of the fork.

I had to remove the concave washer on the back of the fork. But even now I can only get maybe 5 threads of engagement.

So: I wonder if I can replace the pivot bolt in the brake with a longer one.

1. Is that possible?
2. Where does one buy a longer brake pivot bolt?
3. Is there another solution I haven't considered?
I'm not sure about if there are longer bolts out there but there may be. Since you said it was 1st gen Dura Ace I assume you are talking about "nutted" brakes and not a "recessed mount" type of brake.
One work around would be to drill out the back of the fork crown hole to accept the outer diameter of the recessed brake bolt (sorry, I'm at work right now - I don't recall the outer diameter of the recess bolt). Basically you drill the back of the fork crown with a size bit to permit the recessed nut to slide in. Now if your current brake bolt is not threaded that far down (darn-it, I just thought of this)....then you would need to run metric die over the existing brake bolt to thread it down a little more.
Old 09-15-19, 01:35 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Now if your current brake bolt is not threaded that far down (darn-it, I just thought of this)....then you would need to run metric die over the existing brake bolt to thread it down a little more.
This would work but the recessed nuts are available in many different lengths; if one short enough cannot be found the nut can be cut down enough to allow the bolt to thread in sufficiently. IIRC the hole in the back of the fork will need to be enlarged to 8mm. Rule of thumb for minimum thread engagement is equal to the diameter of the bolt, so an M6x1 bolt would need 6 threads engaged; your 5 threads is a little shy of the mark. If you cut a nut short leave at least 6mm of thread, 6 full threads.
Edit: Here is a link for the nuts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BDW-brake-c...s/232862309847

A little off-topic, but for rear brakes, drilling out only the front part of the rear brake bridge to adapt to recessed nutted brakes is difficult, here is a 3D-printed solution which allows drilling out both sides and adapting back down to the correct diameter: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3662440

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 09-15-19 at 01:41 PM.