Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Saddle question...or my tusch hurts and I'm going numb! Help!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 07:04 PM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a prostrate cancer survivor and as a result of the treatment and surgery, my perineal area is very sensitive. I first tried about a dozen seats but they all were either hard on the front or hard on the back side. My LBS suggested a more upright position and an IMS saddle. I now sit more back in an upright position and have an IMS saddle. This combo is good for a little less than 2 hours. I am trying to get up to at least 4 hours of riding before I need a break.

If anyone is doing touring and had this problem and resolved it, I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. I am ready to try just about anything!
Old 02-06-16, 07:33 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pics below of ISM saddles. It could be that you need to place more weight on you hands and less on the butt. That is usually accomplished by sitting less upright by lowering the handlebar. You could also lessen the weight on your butt by lowering the seat and putting more weight on your feet.

Old 02-06-16, 07:41 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you checked out any women's saddles? I'm thinking the wider width might help.
Old 02-06-16, 07:44 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PS Chamois butter will also help.
Old 02-06-16, 08:34 PM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best bet for situations like this, you should probably do a professional bike fit where you can try saddles and get whatever else adjusted to make your ride more comfortable...What you can do otherwise is ensure your seat is flat and level, adjust your bars, as mentioned above, and make sure your elbows are relaxed and not stretched out. Stem length could also affect how you're sitting. Another option could be wear a different style chamois short when you ride... There's a few good videos online that explain how to do a basic bike fit, just know that its not the same as what you get with a fitter.

Sounds like if you're going numb, you are restricting blood flow through your sit bones. A lot of times that is caused by saddles that are either too wide, too soft, or maybe just a simple forward/backward adjustment and most of the time, it can be corrected by seeing a professional bike fitter, maybe a sports medicine person, or check with your Urologist (he/she might be able to provide some insight on whats going on down there).
Old 02-06-16, 09:07 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyber.snow
This combo is good for a little less than 2 hours. I am trying to get up to at least 4 hours of riding before I need a break.
My saddle setup is supremely comfortable, but if I rode four hours non-stop, I would be in agony!

Even two hours would be torture for me.

For the most part, I take a short break every 30 to 60 minutes while touring. And during an all day ride, I take more frequent breaks later in the day. (And even then, I only ride four to six hours per day on most tours.)

You might get more mileage (pun intended) if you adjust your expectations as well as your seating position!
Old 02-07-16, 03:14 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
My saddle setup is supremely comfortable, but if I rode four hours non-stop, I would be in agony!

Er, really? Difficult to see how something you can't tolerate for a couple of hours can be regarded as "supremely comfortable". I have no problem riding four hours at a stretch beyond occasionally stretching out my lower back while on the bike, my saddles are not the source of any real discomfort.

OP, the Adamo saddles pictured above were going to be my suggestion, I have known people swear by them after failing to get comfortable on any other type of saddle. I'm not at all sure about the more upright position, though. The classic roadie position tends to mean one puts more weight on the pedals than on the saddle, which may be good for you.
Old 02-07-16, 04:14 AM
arnaguedes

Bikes: Charge Duster Chromoly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my SMP TRK saddle, zero pressure on central vein

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trk_man1.jpg (33.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-07-16, 08:12 AM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
...one puts more weight on the pedals than on the saddle...
Correct, but can only be achieved after the rider gains a sufficient strength and endurance in the propulsion department. Requires riding with a certain minimum intensity.
Until then, most riders which are new to cycling or are making a re-entry - or are impeded in any way - are unable to absorb any significant body weight with their legs, and that leaves the majority of the weight borne by the saddle. I've observed this on multiple occasions, and am sure you have as well...
Old 02-07-16, 09:07 AM
RobSN

Bikes: Tout Terrain Silkroad Xplore Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could try the Ergo Comfort seat The worlds most comfortable bike seat. - it is noseless and I have used it for commuting for a number of years for the same reason as you.
Old 02-07-16, 09:09 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I agree with I K biker. I have been a cyclist since 1976. in 2001, I broke a leg and when I started to ride again I found my leg was weak. I had all sorts of seat pressure problem within half an hour. I do not know If it will help, but I found that I had to spend more time off the saddle. I use pedal counting. I count (to myself) about 50 revolutions, and then get off the seat for at least 12 revolutions. You did not say how long ago your surgery was, I obviously, can't guarantee this will help.
Old 02-07-16, 12:10 PM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did purchase an ISM PR1 and an SMP TRK. The fitter at theLBS set up the handlebars to get the pressure off of the perineal area. Installed the PR1, recommended by the tech rep at IMS and took off on a 30 mile ride. Very little discomfort on the frontal area, but my sit area started getting sore after about 15 miles in the saddle. I will call IMS back on Monday as another option that was mentioned by the tech rep was to go to a shorter and wider seat. He thought that the seat used by most police bikers might also be a great option. Today I will try the SMT on the same ride I did yesterday.
Old 02-07-16, 05:57 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor

For the most part, I take a short break every 30 to 60 minutes while touring. And during an all day ride, I take more frequent breaks later in the day. (And even then, I only ride four to six hours per day on most tours.)

You might get more mileage (pun intended) if you adjust your expectations as well as your seating position!
All very good points. I too take short breaks at about the same frequency, and it makes a difference for me too.
Once every while I stand and pedal also which is nice for the bum and gives the leg muscles a stretch too.

Chammy cream is also a little help, although more for friction.

Mr snow, seat issues are so individual it's so tricky to get advice. But good luck sorting it out.
Seat angle generally works best dead level, depending on your bar height, nose raised can put pressure and cut off blood flow.
Old 02-07-16, 08:35 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I did purchase an ISM PR1 and an SMP TRK. The fitter at theLBS set up the handlebars to get the pressure off of the perineal area. Installed the PR1, recommended by the tech rep at IMS and took off on a 30 mile ride. Very little discomfort on the frontal area, but my sit area started getting sore after about 15 miles in the saddle. I will call IMS back on Monday as another option that was mentioned by the tech rep was to go to a shorter and wider seat. He thought that the seat used by most police bikers might also be a great option. Today I will try the SMT on the same ride I did yesterday.
That sounds like your best bet to protect your prostate and perineum area. The sit bones and butt area will get more comfortable as you get used to it and the saddle breaks in. Also make sure your saddle is wide enough - I always had problems with saddles until I used one of those Specialized sit bone pressure testers and found mine are kind of wide, so a 10-15mm wider saddle helps me with comfort all around.

I also stand once in a while, and take breaks at least once an hour, even if just standing over the bike to take a picture, check my map or look at the view. Why be in a hurry?
Old 02-07-16, 09:02 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I am a prostrate cancer survivor and as a result of the treatment and surgery, my perineal area is very sensitive. I first tried about a dozen seats but they all were either hard on the front or hard on the back side. My LBS suggested a more upright position and an IMS saddle. I now sit more back in an upright position and have an IMS saddle. This combo is good for a little less than 2 hours. I am trying to get up to at least 4 hours of riding before I need a break.

If anyone is doing touring and had this problem and resolved it, I would certainly appreciate any suggestions. I am ready to try just about anything!
I rode only a recumbent bike for several years, then I too had some prostate problems. Since then, I've ridden a mix of both recumbent and upright bikes. Not going to talk about a recumbent as a solution to your problem - however my recumbent is currently my oldest active bike. In the decade since my prostate issues, probably had a dozen bikes. Different tools for different conditions was often my rational to my accountant, also different fit needs. Finally smartened up and accepted that a saddle is only part of riding comfort - Have an odd body size and shape with short legs and a long torso. While looking for a new road bike, the bike shop owner whom I was working with (bought several bikes from this shop) finally said something about with the various different bike geometries among today's bike offerings it is rare that a person currently needs a true custom geometry. Then he said, I think you are among those that really need the custom build. Finally I agreed and had the fitting and measurements for a custom steel frame, it was tweaked for my size/weight, riding style, etc. Shop built up the frame with selected components - got the "perfect" bike. Saddle is a Berthoud Aravis - I can ride for hours in perfect comfort. Have done some credit card tours, packing a saddle bag and frame bag - all well. The custom configuration, while not inexpensive, was the best bike investment I've made in that decade.
Old 02-07-16, 09:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
Correct, but can only be achieved after the rider gains a sufficient strength and endurance in the propulsion department. Requires riding with a certain minimum intensity.
Until then, most riders which are new to cycling or are making a re-entry - or are impeded in any way - are unable to absorb any significant body weight with their legs, and that leaves the majority of the weight borne by the saddle. I've observed this on multiple occasions, and am sure you have as well...
this can certainly be a factor. Heck, at the beginning of the season, for probably a month, my tush and hands are more sensitive, and part of that is the fact that my legs aren't putting out the steady output I usually do, so yes, more weight goes on the other two contact points.

there are so many factors involved with comfort, seat comfort no less, but how much one rides and therefore take a certain amount of weight off bum and hands is a real factor. I even notice it when riding with someone who is significantly slower than I am, its hard on the bum and hands simply cuz my legs arent working at my optimum output and not taking the usual amount of weight off the other areas.

but then again, all this is conjecture, some seats just dont work for a given person, or the layout of the bike can be off a bit, or a slight adjustment of seat can make a world of diff....and on and on.