Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Being harassed while riding the roads

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Being harassed while riding the roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 09:59 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
I used to commute in Chicago on a regular basis and rode on the weekend with friends. I have been shouted at a few times. The best was when I was retiring home after a long ride in heavy traffic, a ball game had just let out, when a passenger in a car yelled "get a car looser!" As he passed I noticed the Cubs attire and realized he was a Cubs fan and I yelled "Who's the looser?" The Cubs hadn't won in many years at that point.
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 04-06-21, 11:17 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Imagine that. The OP gives a trolling rant about harassment, lumps the perps into a group for easy targeting, and then spurs us to argue with one another about who the boogie man really is. How'd that work out?

Next time, don't take the bait. We've met the bad guy, and he is us.
You're kidding? Grandstand much?

Good topic OP, people can be jerks to cyclists, good to get some perspectives on how to handle it.

Last edited by m2244; 04-06-21 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 11:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
What I have found if I'm merely harassed is that I get over it much more quickly if I just wave. And I'm not talking about a single finger wave either. We're all different, but plotting the perpetrator's demise is something I don't want to obsess over for a week. Even if they deserve it and the world would be better off without them.

If it's more egregious than just words, I haven't really settled on a satisfactory response. I'm generally in favor of calling the cops if it's an illegal act. They are calling the cops about cyclists. And lying.

As far as the political or socio-economic motivations of these people, well, that's not really a fit subject for General Cycling. And I would say you are probably wrong anyway, mind reading is an inexact science.
Old 04-06-21, 03:57 PM
twowheelies

Bikes: 2021 Roubaix, 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Quite frankly, we have it good today. When I started riding back in 1975, us riders frequently had bottles, cans and other trash thrown at us. Not out of malice but just thinking it's funny. We got pushed off the road and one time for me, I got run off a bridge and fell 10 feet down into a creek. I road home soaking wet when it was in the 40's. No cell phone to call home and no payphone to make a call in the countryside.

--
I agree, drivers are much more acclimated to cyclists these days than in the past.

I used a bike as my primary means of transportation in NYC back in the 90s, and I can’t tell you how many times I was nearly run over by some maniac driving a city bus!

I still ride in the city regularly, and the *******s are still out there, trust me. you still get drivers honking, cutting you off or passing too close... there just aren’t nearly as many of them, thankfully.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-06-21 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Do not use symbols to change the spelling of words.
Likes For twowheelies:
Old 04-06-21, 04:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Imagine that. The OP gives a trolling rant about harassment, lumps the perps into a group for easy targeting, and then spurs us to argue with one another about who the boogie man really is. How'd that work out?

Next time, don't take the bait. We've met the bad guy, and he is us.
And does it in General instead of A&S, where this mess belongs.
Likes For indyfabz: