Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

‘02 Cannondale F800 1x swap

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 07:03 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts

I recently brought my older bike into modern times with a 1x swap using SLX cassette and shifter with a SRAM chain and a Wolftooth narrow/wide ring. Works great!

Now I need to do something about that Lefty Si that no longer has rebound damping. Still holds air at pressure, works well (considering) and I’m hoping it’s serviceable. Any suggestions on what to replace it with if it’s not rebuildable?

Last edited by AdkMtnMonster; 03-14-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-14-21, 11:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
You are missing a fork leg, that is your problem

I would try this shop as they specialize in Leftys: https://www.mendoncyclesmith.com. Otherwise I would probably look at something more modern and getting headset reducers or new headset as needed to make that fork work. If I wanted to replace it the new Mantiou R7 Pro looks really nice and would class up the joint. The polished crown and logos look real nice and from what I have read and heard it sounds like a good quality fork. I personally haven't ridden on any Mantiou stuff so can't comment personally though my RockShox Sid XX whatever is a fine fork so far and seems to be a good fit for me.

It looks like a nice conversion and the color is quite pleasing. Though I love celeste.
Old 03-15-21, 02:31 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Thanks for the link. Boxed up Lefty leg and shipped out this morning!
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-15-21, 06:18 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I did something similar for the wife, a 99 F1000 with Fatty SL with 1x9 using an SLX crankset. Mendon fixed up my fork as well. These bikes are fun. I like your color better.

99 F1000
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 03-18-21, 03:09 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

That looks pretty good! I like older hard tails for all around riding. Sure, downhill sections have to be ridden more cautiously, picking better lines compared to full monkey-motion machines, but hard tails just climb so nicely, (until it gets really rutted, rocky and chunky.) I have owned full suspension rigs, even a downhill beast, but old school hard tails just make me happiest because they fit my favorite kind of trail riding. Nice F1000, for sure. Cool paint.
Old 03-24-21, 05:26 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

My Lefty is all serviced, rejuvenated and on its way home so I can reassemble the bike and start tearing it up, old school hard tail style! Can’t wait!