Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rearshock 200x57 vs 210x55 - which should I pick?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 07:41 PM
mobile1mobile1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So my bike supports both, what's the pro's and cons of 200x57 vs 210x55? I doubt that the 2mm extra travel make a big difference, so is there a pro/con of length vs travel?
I am looking at DVO Topaz T3 - they're sold out but once they come back.
Old 04-15-21, 05:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
That is 2mm travel difference for the shock. The actual difference in rear wheel travel would be more.

Bike will sit lower and slacker with the 200mm length. Higher and steeper with the 210mm.

I am surprised the bike company does not indicate which to use. 10mm difference in eye-to-eye length is significant.

First, depending on the leverage ratio of the rear suspension around the sag point, that could be around a full inch difference in how high the rear end sits, which is roughly 1.5-ish degree difference in your geo angles.

Second, many modern rear suspension designs vary the axle path throughout the suspension travel, so that behavior around the sag range is different than when you are deeper in the travel. Changing the shock length 10mm also changes where in the travel the suspension is at sag by roughly the same amount. Maybe this particular suspension design is OK with that, but most I have owned would be affected.

What bike is it?

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-15-21 at 08:37 AM.